Affordable Healthy Meals? Care to share yours?

Options
I know we see this question all the time on MFP because switching over to healthy eating usually makes peoples grocery bills go up. I also always see lots and lots of answers from people who don't spend a lot of money and still eat healthy, but the answers are always vague. So here is the idea if anyone is up for it.

*** Share some of the healthy meals you make in your home that are affordable

*** BUT back it up with a break down of how much it costs to make and ingredients. Also nutritional facts would be appreciated. Actually break it down for people to see, how much did you pay per pound for your chicken? or beef etc... That way when people go to the store expecting the meal to be under $5 and it comes out to $15 they understand why or why not. I hope I'm making sense?

Its easy for people to put down, I eat chicken and rice and that's cheap. But is it really? Depends on how much your paying for your chicken, some of us not so savvy shoppers might buy food when its not on sale, then we're looking at this "cheap" meal thinking "those people must be rich if this is cheap". I understand this will vary since we have different countries etc on MFP, so maybe put your general location too.

I'll start with an example:

I'm in Arizona, USA.

Tostadas using homemade refried beans
COST to make (8 tostadas - feeds 4) = About $4.00

tostada3.JPG

Directions to make the beans - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo/view/refried-beans-cheap-low-calorie-low-sodium-freezer-friendly-88785

Break down
1lb (16 oz) of refried beans (homemade made from $1 casserole brand pinto beans from walmart) = 17 cents
16 tbsp of Naturally Yours Sour Cream from Walmart = 79 cents
2 tomatoes on the vine ($1.94/lb) = 97 cents
Arizona Corn Tortillas 8 tortillas = 34 cents
Romain Lettuce (2.88 for 3), use about half of 1 = 48 cents
1 cup Great Value Fiesta Cheese (walmart) = 1.19

Nutrition per serving (8 servings) - (subtract cheese & sour cream and these are only about 80 calories each)
Calories: 144..............Carbs: 23..............Fiber: 10..............Fat: 5
..............Sugar: 5..............Protein: 9..............Sodium: 126

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    that looks good! and according to those food prices, I want to move to Arizona lol
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to start couponing... The money i save on everyday items goes a long way towards fresh fruits, lean meats and veggies :) I love tostadas.. I made some a couple weeks ago fromt he MSF protein crumbles.. soo yummy!!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    That tostada looks soooo good! Will post later, when I'm not being paid to work. Lol...
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    that looks good! and according to those food prices, I want to move to Arizona lol

LOL, that's why I suggested putting a location too. I had a friend on facebook post about getting beef for 99 cents / lb and I was ready to ask her to freeze and ship me some because I'm paying like $3/lb on sale....
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    I find that it is a little cheaper to shop at the Produce Market for fruits and veggies. Most of the time I can get at least a weeks worth of fruits and veggies for about $20.00

BUMP
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Phew... I don't think about it that hard!

We eat the same stuff a lot. For example, this week I bought a dozen eggs, green pepper, onion, whole wheat bread, and cabots cheese. I'd estimate around $10. My daughter and I will eat egg sandwiches for dinner M-W-TH.

Last week, I bought flat bread, organic pizza sauce, green pepper, onion, mini-pepporonis and we ate that four nights.

During the day, she eats at school and I eat at my work cafe. I usually buy some fruit a couple times a week and some snack stuff like granola bars.

I think, for us, a lot of it is letting go of this idea that meals have to be a big production with meat, potatoes, side and some bread. Some nights - we just have cereal and bananas. Others, some fresh baby spinanch and fruit. The point is to not be hungry and get some goodness in our guts. :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Here's my lunch, with estimated costs

1lb Boars Head Roast Beef (low sodium) $10
    1lb Yukon Gold Potatoes $0.70
    1/2 Large Yellow Onion $0.50
    1 Container white mushrooms $1.10
    1 bag of frozen blueberries $2.39
    1 cup of milk poured over the blueberries w/ cinnamon and stevia added (tastes like blueberry pie) $0.38

Total Cost: $15.07

Nutritional Stats:
    1379 Calories
    147g Protein
    151g Carbohydrates
    29g Fat
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options

1 cup of milk poured over the blueberries w/ cinnamon and stevia added (tastes like blueberry pie) $0.38

Nutritional Stats:
    1379 Calories
    147g Protein
    151g Carbohydrates
    29g Fat

Just for lunch? for an entire week right?
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    San Francisco U.S.A.

Lentil Soup

Green Lentils (Dry), 1lb 1,600 $3.00
    Carrots - Raw, 1.5 cup, chopped 80 $.50
    Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped 14 $.50
    Onions - Raw, 2 cup, chopped 134 $1.00
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 2 large whole (3" dia) 66 $1.00
    Swanson - Chicken Broth - 99% Fat Free, 6 cups (1 large can) 29 $3.00
    Water 2 cups
    Purity Farms - Organic Ghee Clarified Butter, 6 tsp. 270 (5 g) $.50
    ~ 1.5 tsp cumin
    ~ 1.5 tsp coriander

The costs are just estimates and I think it's cheaper than the $9.50 it totals to. Makes about 11 cups at approximately 200 calories each.

Sauté veggies in the ghee till softened, then add the spices sautéing another minute or two. Add the lentils water and broth and simmer for about 40 mins till lentils are done. Remove 1/3-1/2 and purée in blender then add back in. Grab a spoon and dig in.

Be sure to use ghee if you can. It really adds a wonderful nutty/cheesy back note to the finished product :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

Nutritional Stats:
    1379 Calories
    147g Protein
    151g Carbohydrates
    29g Fat

That was lunch, downed in 10 minutes! :)
  • superdrood
    superdrood Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Nutritional Stats:
    1379 Calories
    147g Protein
    151g Carbohydrates
    29g Fat

That was lunch, downed in 10 minutes! :)

Holy crap! Took a look at your diary. I so envy your calorie budget.
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump and sadly I don't know the estimated cost of my meals (note to self: must do)
  • rdy2luznow
    rdy2luznow Posts: 25 Member
    Options

tostada3.JPG

Directions to make the beans - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/NeuroticVirgo/view/refried-beans-cheap-low-calorie-low-sodium-freezer-friendly-88785

Break down
    1lb (16 oz) of refried beans (homemade made from $1 casserole brand pinto beans from walmart) = 17 cents

Nutrition per serving (8 servings) - (subtract cheese & sour cream and these are only about 80 calories each)

How do you make the tortilla crunchy without using oil to fry it?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

tostada3.JPG

Break down

How do you make the tortilla crunchy without using oil to fry it?

I bake it. Set oven to 350, spray tortillas lightly with PAM (or other 0 calorie spray). Bake for 5- 10 minutes until crispy. (you'll want to check every few minutes because they can go from done to burnt pretty fast) You can also salt them (or in my case substitute salt since I'm watching sodium).
  • lupiefit
    Options
    A great question. I make really health-filled meals inexpensively by following a few home-made giudelines. First, I do buy meat, poultry, and some frozen fish on sale, often cooking up a stew or other meal in my slow cooker(terrific for making even the toughest cuts of meat tender) and then freezing in individual portions. i buy fruits and veggies mostly in-season. I clip coupons and scan the ads for deals, especially on beans, rice, and other staples that will "keep."

A huge part of my cooking regimen includes herbs, spices, and other staples such as garlic, honey, mustard, and fresh lemons. Initially, there's an expense to putting together a good collection of dried herbs, etc., but a little goes a long way and simple seasoning can transform anything into something delicious.

Of a month, if I'm very careful about budgeting, probably the most expensive item I purchase regularly is excellent chocolate. Might sound frivilous, but we gotta have our fun, too!

Wishing you all wellness!