Arbys..why must you confuse me so??

Arynamber
Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
edited October 4 in Food and Nutrition
Words like Market Fresh, salad, nuts.. does that sound low cal?? WRONG
Arbys Market Fresh Pecan Chicken Salad Sandwich is get this... 769 CALORIES!!!!!!! WTF!!!???

But Turkey Sandwich that HAS to be low cal?? UM NOPE..420 CALORIES!

Chicken Wrap... now that HAS to be a bit lower in calories..right? Wraps and chicken are healthy right? WRONG 563 Calories!

Cant go wrong with FISH can you? Fish HAS to be the best choice? Only if you want 570 CALORIES!!

and all I REALLY wanted from Arbys in the first place was thier roast beef sandwhich, but just the sound of it.. it has to be the WORST for you! It doesnt sound healthy at all... Guess what? Its only 350 calories.. LOWEST calories of all these..

Geesch glad I checked first. CRAZY CRAZY. CURSE YOU ARBYS for attempting to trick me

Replies

• Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Yup, I love the Arby's and I am kind of glad there aren't any Arby's near where I live. Something about that shiny foil-paper wrapping... Enjoy the treat.
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Yep, that's exactly what I found out too. I only order the roast beef sandwich when I go to Arby's now.
  • Not surprised. No offense though...fast food is NEVER going to be healthy. Even the healthiest thing on the menu is never going to be good for a person. I think they assume people think like that when compiling menu options. Well, I know I do at least lol.
  • Very misleading!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    The Market Fresh sandwiches are so much bigger than the roast beef, that's why. If I go to Arby's and get a Market Fresh, I only eat half of it.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    99% of Fast Food = dangerous and high cals! :laugh:

marketing and hype! don't believe it.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Yea, just avoid fast food in general...I can't even eat subway anymore lol
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    310 in the Roast Chicken Sandwich (without the sauce). That's my favorite! But I haven't had it since I started up here.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Yep, that's exactly what I found out too. I only order the roast beef sandwich when I go to Arby's now.

I get the junior roast beef and a side salad if I must go to Arby's. Pretty reasonable.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    A lot of the times if you keep the sauces off..that takes a lot of the cals away...but unfortunately arbys breads are high in cals.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Now I want taco bell.... argggg!
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    yep yep i found that out too... a lot of the healthy sounding stuff isn't that healthy... even some of the salads... i haven't been to arby's in forever!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Not a fan of fast food in general, but Arby's...bleh! I haven't been there in a long time, but their roast beef tastes like they ground it up bones and all and then pressed it back together with some sort of weird tasting preservative. What the heck are those gritty bits in there? Always made me think of bits of ground up bone and cartilage.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Arby's is one of my FAVE places. I always just get the junior roast beef, add tomato and I only eat 1/2 the bun. There's a lot of extra "junk" calories in fast food buns, I find.

Just a helpful hint that I've used in a pinch . . I try not to eat much fast food if I can possibly help it. Big change from 6 months ago when I used to eat fast food at least 1-2 times per day! LOL
  • krik84
    krik84 Posts: 47
    I used to work at arby's - if you saw the lump of gross meat they slice up you would have no problem never eating there again
  • Arynamber
    Yes I know its bad.. I know.. but Im like a crack addict with fast food.. slowly weening. I gave up Soda this week so one thing at a time..
    ON a side note..what are some HEALTHY alternatives when you have to eat dinner in the car while commuting from work to kids activities?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    The turkey sandwich is HEALTHY, it's just a large portion. Healthy doesn't always mean small portions. When I go to Arby's, I get the roasted turkey sandwich and eat half. There's no way I could eat the whole thing anyway, even BEFORE I was counting calories and trying to be healthy. Don't discount something just because of the calories. Look at what's in it... calorie count does NOT equal healthy. Some things are high in fat and calories and still healthy - NUTS, anyone? Completely natural, GREAT for you, but high calorie, high fat content.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member

I get the junior roast beef and a side salad if I must go to Arby's. Pretty reasonable.

Ditto! And the Arby's in the area where I live now has apple slices and yogurt dip on their "value menu". YUM :smile:
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Yeah that's what you get with fast food but don't always let the number of calories in something fool you because there are plenty of foods that are healthy and still high in calories and things that are unhealthy that are relatively low in calories. High calories does not equal unhealthy and low calories does not equal healthy.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    The turkey sandwich is HEALTHY, it's just a large portion. Healthy doesn't always mean small portions. When I go to Arby's, I get the roasted turkey sandwich and eat half. There's no way I could eat the whole thing anyway, even BEFORE I was counting calories and trying to be healthy. Don't discount something just because of the calories. Look at what's in it... calorie count does NOT equal healthy. Some things are high in fat and calories and still healthy - NUTS, anyone? Completely natural, GREAT for you, but high calorie, high fat content.

LOL I replied to OP before reading through the comments and I agree completely with this.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    It's impossible for me to completely avoid fast food. You can order some of these items without cheese or without mayo and you'll cut down on the fat. The sodium seems to be practically baked/caked into everything.

I keep "Eat This, Not That" at my desk so I sorta know what to order when I go out for fast food. Here are some options that I think are safer:

Wendy's, McD's and BK's grilled chicken sandwiches - always say no to honey mustard sauce or mayo.
    KFC Grilled chicken - I tend to order white meat.
    Wendy's grilled chicken go wraps - there's like half a chicken breast in each one and they're on the 99 cent menu!
    McD's happy meal - If i'm gonna eat bad, then I better eat less.

I hope this helps.

My local county has mandated all fast food restaurants and chains MUST display calorie counts on their menus. It completely destroys my appetite at Cheese Cake Factory...
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Yeah that's what you get with fast food but don't always let the number of calories in something fool you because there are plenty of foods that are healthy and still high in calories and things that are unhealthy that are relatively low in calories. High calories does not equal unhealthy and low calories does not equal healthy.
    Yep. Healthy is such a relative term. Hi or low calories certainly doesn't make something healthy. Some folks are needing to gain weight, not fat, but lean mass. They need high cal foods.

Some folks are nutrient deficient, so healthy to them means it's has lots of vitamins.

Some folks really need to stay away from sugar, so fattening foods, the right kind of fats, may be fine for them.

To some gluten is terribly unhealthy, or starchy carbs, or too much of the wrong kind of cholesterol. The list goes on. Anything can be called healthy, depending on the context.
  • Arynamber
    alright alright YES I know the difference between BAD calories and GOOD.. ICE CREAM MUCH WORSE THEN NUTS!! I guess I was just meaning LOW CAL (so yes I changed it) so sorry my bad
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    I used to work at arby's - if you saw the lump of gross meat they slice up you would have no problem never eating there again

I knew it! Parts is parts meat, right? So what are those gritty things in there?:sick:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    It's impossible for me to completely avoid fast food. You can order some of these items without cheese or without mayo and you'll cut down on the fat. The sodium seems to be practically baked/caked into everything.

I keep "Eat This, Not That" at my desk so I sorta know what to order when I go out for fast food. Here are some options that I think are safer:

Wendy's, McD's and BK's grilled chicken sandwiches - always say no to honey mustard sauce or mayo.
    KFC Grilled chicken - I tend to order white meat.
    Wendy's grilled chicken go wraps - there's like half a chicken breast in each one and they're on the 99 cent menu!
    McD's happy meal - If i'm gonna eat bad, then I better eat less.

I hope this helps.

My local county has mandated all fast food restaurants and chains MUST display calorie counts on their menus. It completely destroys my appetite at Cheese Cake Factory...

^Thats the plan I follow. Burger King has the best tasting grilled chicken sandwich, but take off half the bun and the mayo. And I have been known to order a happy meal on the days where I have the calories available and I reaaaaaally want a burger. I'll have to give KFC's grilled chicken a try.

It's crazy how bad some of the fast food can get. I'm not sure I could make something that calorie/fat/sodium heavy at home if I tried to.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    If I got there, I order the arby jr and apple slices with the fruit dip (I don't eat that). All together its less than 300 calories so I can't beat that. Its very cheap too. Its nice when you can't make it home to eat.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    alright alright YES I know the difference between BAD calories and GOOD.. ICE CREAM MUCH WORSE THEN NUTS!! I guess I was just meaning LOW CAL (so yes I changed it) so sorry my bad
    Didn't mean to come across as a argumentative or anything. I just see & hear the "healthy" term thrown around so frivolously all over (the boards, the media, etc.) I guess it just kinda gets to me.

Cheers!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    I dont even wanna know the cals and sodium in TB... lol
    Now I want taco bell.... argggg!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    I love Arby's curly fries. I don't really like any of their other food though, lol.
This discussion has been closed.