calorie help please!

Options
OK so lastnight I went WAY over my calories and gained a pound and so my calorie is at 898 with excersize. right now I think and I've had coffee this morning a tossed salad with unsweetend iced tea and then dinner was a bowl of chili. Is that OK?

Replies

• AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I would say the 812 calories is defo not enough for your body to be happy - unless, of course, you are under strict instruction from your doctor.

Just try not to eat the odd doughnut :wink:

Edit - also, breakfast is mucho important...sets you up properly for the day
  • hd2208
    hd2208 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    if thats all you have eaten for the day then that isnt really ebough or an especially balanced diet. Its bedtime here but not sure what time zone you are in. You should eat 1200 calories a day for your body to do the mimimum (your BMR), so I guess I would say regardless of what happened yesterday you should eat 1200 calories each day. Hope that heps, im quite tired so kind of gabbling. x
  • paniologal
    paniologal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'd say so. Sometimes I only eat like 500 calories a day because I'm not hungry or whatever, and other days I will go over my calorie limit. I think as long as the calories average out to around 1200 for the week, you should be good.
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I dont think one day is going to hurt you. If you feel like you've eaten enough for you.
    Just don't make a habit out of it.
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would try to net 1200 calories. You would have had to eat a lot to gain 1lb overnight...it is probably water gain--not real fat. Good luck
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My understanding it that it's different for different people. Different people hit starvation at different times and in different situations.

But if your calories are above 1200 BEFORE counting exercise, AND at least 100 grams of carbs...that's the yardstick I follow based on some advice I'd received. There are differing opinions on eating exercise calories, but I'm in the camp of applying those to weight loss....but if you consistently stay at an unexplained plateau, I'd look at your eating and exercise plan.
  • kawinter
    Options
    I think it best to just tell yourself that a day over calories is just lost. Don't try to make it up the next day, just watch your calories and exercise and consistently make your numbers on a day to day basis. If you can do that, you will make progress.

Daily weight can really be a misleading measure. You have to watch the trend, and there will be days when, say, if you've had more salt, you'll have more body weight due to water retention. Various cycles in the body (the full digestion cycle among them and the reproductive cycle in women) will make those day to day weight readings misleading unless you look at them over time.

Starving yourself for a day will just slow down your metabolism and make it harder to lose weight. Find your target calorie numbers for the rate of weight loss you're looking for (keep it reasonable) and strive to make or slightly beat them every day. Get your weight trend line moving down over time and always remember, you probably added weight (and % body fat, a better metric) over a long period of time. Losing the extra fat will also take time and require day to day discipline. You can do it.