OK, I need a breakfast recipe!

kmbrooks15
kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
edited October 4 in Recipes
Every month at work, we have "birthday breakfast" for those who have birthdays that month. It's coming up the first Wednesday in November. We all bring something, and there are already a number of fruit trays that make an appearance (the male ministers bring those so they don't have to cook!). Anybody have a really good breakfast food that I could make the night before and throw in the oven the next morning and is low-cal/healthy? It needs to taste good and not have exotic, weird ingredients.

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Maybe some scrambled egg whites with some veggies thrown in?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Quiche is always nice

Get it ready the night before: put a frozen pie crust in the fridge to thaw. Mix up your eggs/egg beaters/ 1% milk is fine, flour, salt, pepper. Measure your 2% cheese, cut up some pre-cooked turkey sausage or use cubed ham - stick in a zip lock bag. I like to throw in chopped broccoli (drain really well). Layer the ingredients in the AM and bake. AllRecipes.com has tons of ideas.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Here are a couple of possibilities. The breakfast strata I suppose depends on your definition of healthy (if you don't think eggs are healthy, please disregard this recipe! :)). I'll give you the recipe as I received it and let you know the subs I make.

Mushroom Sausage Strata

1 lb. bulk pork sausage (I use turkey sausage and probably 3/4 lb.)
    10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
    1 4-oz can mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
    1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I used reduced fat)
    1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese (or jack or mozzarella, reduced fat)
    6 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 c. milk
    1 c. half-&-half cream (I generally just use 2 c. skim or 1% milk)
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp. pepper

In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Sprinkle with the sausage, mushrooms, and cheeses. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350 deg F for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This next one isn't a hot dish, but thought I'd share, in case you'd like a non-hot alternative) BTW, don't know who Amber is, but she created a great recipe!

Amber's Chewy Granola Bars
    1 1/2 c. brown sugar (can sub Splenda brown sugar)
    3/4 c. light corn syrup
    3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) margarine, softened
    1 c. peanut butter
    1 tblesp. vanilla
    3/4 c. sunflower seeds
    5 1/2 c. quick oats
    2 1/4 c. Rice Krispies
    3/4 c. raisins
    1 c. chocolate chips
    3/4 c. whole wheat flour
    3/4 c. chopped nuts

Coat one regular-sized cookie sheet (about 17" x 11.5") with oil or spray with Pam. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, corn syrup, margarine, penaut butter, and vanilla. Stir well to the consistency of a paste. Stir in remaining ingredients, and work mixture so that several large clumps adhere together. Using your fingers, press the mixture into the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 deg. F for 15-20 minutes, until the edges turn golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Wrap individually in plastic wrap. Freezes very well.

Julie's Notes: I don't care for sunflower seeds in things, so I just omit them. My family isn't much on nuts, so I omit them, as well, and just up the amount of oats & chocolate chips to make up the difference. I use mini chocolate chips so that they're more evenly distributed through the bars. I have made these with old-fashioned oats; they did well, although I think they tended to crumble more (since the oat pieces were larger, I think). I also generally omit the raisins because most of the kids I am feeding don't like them. But I think they'd be better with the raisins--or with craisins! I would imagine honey would work well in place of the syrup, although, of course, the flavor would be different. I cut these into bars using a pizza cutter, then just finish off the very edges with a steak knife. The only time-consuming part of this is wrapping each bar in plastic wrap. I have used snack-sized zipper baggies in a pinch, but if they're going to be stored very long, I'd think it would be very important to really get all the air out to keep the bars from drying out.
  • I've been hearing so much, these days, about doughless pizza made with a cauliflower crust. I'm a lover of breakfast pizza. I wonder how breakfast pizza would taste made with the cauliflower crust? Some onion, turkey bacon, chicken sausage, mozzarella... hmmmmm? *drooling* :tongue:
  • I've been hearing so much, these days, about doughless pizza made with a cauliflower crust. I'm a lover of breakfast pizza. I wonder how breakfast pizza would taste made with the cauliflower crust? Some onion, turkey bacon, chicken sausage, mozzarella... hmmmmm? *drooling* :tongue:
    Oh, and eggs of course :wink:
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Could you make some bitesize flapjack/granola bars? full of oats and fruit!
  • da3bool
    da3bool Posts: 5 Member
    How about a fruit and yogurt parfait.. get the low fat vanilla yogurt (real easy to find), some frozen fruits (or whatever fresh ones that are in season), and if you're feeling naughty, maybe some low fat granola..

If you have enough time in the morning, you can layer them up in plastic cups to create individual portions..

Enjoy!
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    How about a fruit and yogurt parfait.. get the low fat vanilla yogurt (real easy to find), some frozen fruits (or whatever fresh ones that are in season), and if you're feeling naughty, maybe some low fat granola..

If you have enough time in the morning, you can layer them up in plastic cups to create individual portions..

Enjoy!

That sounds yummy *drools*
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Baked salmon
    whitefish salad
    Lox, onion, tomato slice, bagel
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    That sausage mushroom thing sounds good except for the mushrooms! Looking at the recipe, I could probably leave them out or replace them with something else. Quiche sounds good, too. I'll check allrecipes.com for quiches, and if I don't find anything I like, I'll try the sausage dish.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have to prep it the night before, cook it in the AM, and pack it in my thermal casserole carrier to keep it warm while I take the kids to school. That makes casseroles one of the easiest things to bring, so these ideas are good. Keep them coming, because we do this every month, and the more ideas I have the better!
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    A frittata or Spanish Omlette, quick, easy and healthy! Enjoy :)
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    There are french toast "casseroles" out there that you could make fairly healthy by using part eggs/part egg whites and whole wheat bread, and sf maple syrup or Splenda brown sugar, like this one:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/skiers-french-toast/detail.aspx

Or this blueberry one sounds yummy, too:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/french-toast-bake/detail.aspx

You could also make healthy versions of Egg McMuffins. You could make scrambled eggs the night before, reheat quickly in the morning, then slap together the muffins using whole wheat English muffins, a slice of reduced-fat cheese, and pieces of either Canadian bacon or turkey bacon. In your casserole thingy, the cheese would melt by the time you got to work.
This discussion has been closed.