The Contour Belt

Options
I'm confined to a wheelchair and can't do sit-ups or crunches. I was thinking of buying The Contour Belt advertised on tv. Does anyone have one and does it really work. I can't get rid of my stomach fat. Thanks!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately these things do not get rid of fat. I'm sorry. :cry:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Crunches or sit-ups won't get rid of the fat either. You need to simply lose weight through a calorie deficit. It might take time as well, as you cannot target fat loss.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    diet will get rid of stomach fat, not gimmicks sold on tv. and you can do crunches. if you can bend forward at the waist, that's a crunch. get some resistance banding, tie them up on something high (or loop them over a door) hold the handles in front of your head making sure the bands are tight, then keeping your hands at your forehead (touching) bend forwards, making sure you contract your abs to bend. basic gym movement that i bet you could handle.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    following a reduced calorie diet will shrink your tummy fat better than any gizmo.

I'm living proof, I have done practically NO stomach exercises of any kind and my formerly pregnant looking tummy is now nearly flat!
  • jak111
    jak111 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm not sure about the contour belt, but I am awe of your accomplishment - you have lost 35.8 pounds, you are confined to a wheel chair yet you burn 3500+ calories a week. Can you give some tips on how you burn the 3500 per week?

I also agree that loosing weight, calorie deficit, etc. will get rid of the belly fat. I too wish there was something that would work faster! :) Appreciate any suggestions you have on how you burn that many calories each week! Thanks!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    My exH bought one of those zapper fat reducer belts. It didn't do *kitten* for his fatty *kitten*, but it made him look like an idiot and I lol'd about it.

So, please don't buy TV gimmics. Calorie counting works!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with your concerns--you have an extra challenge because of your physical issues. Unfortunately, devices like this do not work--it's a lot of money to pay and still end up in the same situation you are in now. Unfortunately, there is really no way to "externally" stimulate muscles to firm up--the amount of electrical stimulation required to achieve meaningful contractions would be---well, let's just say you could only use the machine one time.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is from a friend of mine:

My wife is a polio survivor. Yeah, it was still around in Mexico in the late 70's. She isn't in a chair, but does use a brace to walk. If I could... I would post that she loves hand bikes at the gym. They give her a great cardio workout using just her upper body. They even have a version at Walmart that you can use on the floor with your feet on on a tabletop. And, of course weights. The wife does weights and has beautiful arms.
  • TOBUNNZYE
    Options
    INSTEAD OF SPENING OVER $100
    while doing your exercises believe it or not , if you buckle up an ordinary belt as snug as you can, it will help contract those muscles. on days you dont exercise, wearing it and contracting your muscles half a day will help exercise you middle also. I also wear those cheap rubber sweat belts on days I dont exercise. They say you cannot target body parts, and that really can cut a person down when they want to try to improve themselves. I wouldn't tell you about these belts if they didnt help me. I've been doing that for years and years. I have also gotten great looking abs by "targeting" them when i was too lazy to go the full monte so i only did crunches for three months and got my abs down. i do crunches in my chair and i chair dance too. They can tell you what you can't do but you are the only one to stop yourself from trying it anyway.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I'm confined to a wheelchair and can't do sit-ups or crunches. I was thinking of buying The Contour Belt advertised on tv. Does anyone have one and does it really work. I can't get rid of my stomach fat. Thanks!
    Please save your money. They are marketed to give hope to people that can't/won't do ab exercises.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I have a great friend on Nutrisystem that lost weight and was confined to a wheel chair. Her name is hazelangeleyes. Check out her profile.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I lift weights and wheel around my neighborhood ( I'm surprised at how many calories that really burns, but that's what my HRM tells me:)