A reason why you may not be losing...............

Options
Lack of sleep. Your calories, exercise, water, vitamins etc. can be consistent and right but I'm telling you that if you're not getting the rest your body needs, this WILL affect how you lose weight and in some cases cause weight gain.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.asp?id=129

We all keep asking questions about calories and macronutrients, but I know that many out there flat out don't get enough sleep. So chaulk this up as another thing you need to do right.

Replies

• SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I cant agree more. Plus when we are not well rested we tend to be less active and lazy. Atleast thats how I am. =)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This is why I think I need some sort of sleep aid.

When I worked first shift hours, I had no problems at all getting 7-8 hours everyday.

But now that I am on nights, I go to sleep close to 9:30 in morning and am lucky to sleep until 3:30 in the afternoon.

Please pray with me in agreement that I get off night shift soon, for this reason among many others! But until that happens, is there something OTC and SAFE that I can use to help me snooze my needed amount of time? I took a PM medication one time (I think it was a Goody's PM cause it was powder) because I also had a headache, but that crap made me sleep 12 hours and still feel sleepy when I got up! I can't do that!!!
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know this has been true in my own life. I find I lose more when I get 8 hours of sleep or more. The weeks I only get 5 or 6 I don't seem to lose anything. I believe plenty of rest and lots of water have been two contributing factors for my 54lb weight loss thus far!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I have several friends who are at the opposite end of the spectrum from compulsive eaters..... compulsive exercisers. Even when confronted with sound research about taking rest days, they still hit the gym 7 days a week, and then later complain about not being able to lose that last 5 pounds (as if they'll lock in at that weight anyways).

I enjoy rest days. But then again, I'm content with my fitness level. :smile:
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This is why I think I need some sort of sleep aid.

When I worked first shift hours, I had no problems at all getting 7-8 hours everyday.

But now that I am on nights, I go to sleep close to 9:30 in morning and am lucky to sleep until 3:30 in the afternoon.

Please pray with me in agreement that I get off night shift soon, for this reason among many others! But until that happens, is there something OTC and SAFE that I can use to help me snooze my needed amount of time? I took a PM medication one time (I think it was a Goody's PM cause it was powder) because I also had a headache, but that crap made me sleep 12 hours and still feel sleepy when I got up! I can't do that!!!

Try melatonin. Works for me, supposedly more natural that traditional sleep aids, non-addicting.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Great, I'm an insomniac......... wheeeeeee
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This actually might be the reason my scale popped up a pound the past few days.

Must get to bed early tonight! Thanks for the reminder.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the science behind this? (in simple terms!)

To me it seems like the opposite should be true - the body burns more calories awake than asleep so the longer you stay awake the bigger your calorie deficit should be and the more you should lose?

I don't understand!

(unless it's something as simple as being awake longer means you eat more?)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This is SO true. My fastest weight loss occurred during the span of a couple of weeks when I was taking almost daily naps.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    But until that happens, is there something OTC and SAFE that I can use to help me snooze my needed amount of time? I took a PM medication one time (I think it was a Goody's PM cause it was powder) because I also had a headache, but that crap made me sleep 12 hours and still feel sleepy when I got up! I can't do that!!!

Try Benedryl or Nyquil (with the 10% alcohol.) I use both as sleep aids, and I have serious problems with insomnia. I also have prescription sleep aids, but I hate them - I totally do the whole "driving while on Ambien" thing (except it wasn't driving, but still scary!) and they always make me feel hung over. Benedryl and/or Nyquil make me drowsy enough to fall asleep without making me feel like crap when I wake up.

You can also try the Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime tea, or something that contains valarian root - it's a natural sleep aid.

Good luck - I work daytime hours, but I've struggled with insomnia my whole life and it sucks, so I feel for you.
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I love my sleep, but I'm also a night owl :ohwell:
  • amandal00
    amandal00 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I guess this means I need to try to get to bed at a decent time.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree about the Melatonin, I've been taking 3mg when I feel esp. awake or anxious, it's just enough to make you sleepy, but not enough that if you wanted to say up a little longer you could push through, when I take the Melatonin I sleep well, I have noticed no adverse side effects.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @Allie Love your rabbit pic, BTW, I had three before we moved, miss them something fierce.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this reminder. I love my sleep, but sometimes get caught up reading or watching tv late. This gives me motivation to shut down and get enough sleep!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    read 1st one.

Is is more physiological or the fact that when you are sleepy/tired, you tend not to work out, eat more junk etc? I eat fairly clean but tend to not to get enough sleep
  • bigdaddycowgill
    bigdaddycowgill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    But until that happens, is there something OTC and SAFE that I can use to help me snooze my needed amount of time? I took a PM medication one time (I think it was a Goody's PM cause it was powder) because I also had a headache, but that crap made me sleep 12 hours and still feel sleepy when I got up! I can't do that!!!

Try Benedryl or Nyquil (with the 10% alcohol.) I use both as sleep aids, and I have serious problems with insomnia. I also have prescription sleep aids, but I hate them - I totally do the whole "driving while on Ambien" thing (except it wasn't driving, but still scary!) and they always make me feel hung over. Benedryl and/or Nyquil make me drowsy enough to fall asleep without making me feel like crap when I wake up.

You can also try the Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime tea, or something that contains valarian root - it's a natural sleep aid.

Good luck - I work daytime hours, but I've struggled with insomnia my whole life and it sucks, so I feel for you.

Nature Made makes an all-natural product called "Sleep." They sell it at Costco & my wife & I have both used it for a few months & it has worked for us.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I will try to see what I can find at the store later tonight at work. There's a 24 hour Walgreens there, so I should be able to find something there.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I will try to see what I can find at the store later tonight at work. There's a 24 hour Walgreens there, so I should be able to find something there.

As someone above said, definitely try melatonin. It's all-natural and relatively cheap at CVS, so I'm imagining it'd be cheap at Walgreens as well.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the science behind this? (in simple terms!)

To me it seems like the opposite should be true - the body burns more calories awake than asleep so the longer you stay awake the bigger your calorie deficit should be and the more you should lose?

I don't understand!

(unless it's something as simple as being awake longer means you eat more?)

I don't have the hard facts to confirm, but my understanding would be that if your not sleeping your body is focused on doing other things. Have you never noticed you always need sleep when your Ill or that cut that takes ages to heal when you don't sleep right.

Your body can shut down at night when you go to sleep. It knows your out cold so begins repairs if you like. When your awake its to focused on keeping you alert, focused, moving about etc etc.

So more sleep = more repair time, and body adjustments.... cause after all the body is repairing the damage to which the excess weight has created. However my issue is actually getting to sleep :-D

Awesome I have now justified why I'm not lazy...... my body is repairing itself woot woot