oh my...the sugars!!!

Options
Hey all,

In recently tracking my foods on MFP I've noticed that my sugars are out the door!! This is mostly from eating Activia yogurt, fresh carrots, butternut squash, fresh berries, etc. Should I be terribly concerned about these natural type sugars? I'm doing a very good job of avoiding refined sugars but I want to try and keep sugar and sodium to a minimum.

Cheerios for now!
Deanna

Replies

• cathleen4h
    cathleen4h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think as long as they are natural sugars that they are fine. I think sugars from fruit and vegs are good.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugars really aren't a problem unless you have a medical condition (like diabetes).
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the sugary yogurt.... start reading the label. Any yogurt that has more carbs/sugar than protein isn't worth buying.
    I wouldn't worry about fruit and veggies though.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sugar because of natural sugars, so I don't worry about it.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Naturals sugars your body can break down no problem so i wouldn't worry. If it was all added sugars then you may what to change. I read that non-diabetic people are recommended 40g of added sugars.

There is no definitive answer to the question, but 40 grams is the recommended amount for non-diabetic people. If you're diabetic or borderline diabetic, please see the note at the bottom. 40 grams of sugar refers mainly to added sugar, which is anything that is put into foods rather that which is naturally occurring such as in fruit. By this logic, for instance, ALL sugar in soda would be considered "added," since the beverage itself is constructed rather than harvested.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_sugar_are_appropriate_per_day_for_the_average_adult#ixzz1bq4oGnQN
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    All carbs will eventually be broken down into simple sugar once ingested anyways therefore don't worry so much about your sugar intake especially considering where it's all coming from. So long as you're not diabetic or in threat of becoming diabetic I wouldn't let it phase you the slightest. Now, don't take my information as oh I can slam three 24oz cokes a day now so long as they fit my calories I'm just saying sugar has become public enemy number one recently in the fitness industry when it really isn't all its cracked up to be. So go on have the activa and all the fruits you'd like no hard will be done.