What to do???

Options
I work out at the local Y and one of their trainers said to stop the cardio for two months and just do weight training, but I am thinking that is not right, what to do? I promised me it would work, my muscle mass increasing and my fat loss decreasing, he said if it didnt then he would give me 5 free training hours. But what I have been doing has been working and Im afaid to do anything else, my weight loss has slowed since I have less than 20 lbs left to lose. I dont know, what do you all think? Thanks

Replies

• athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work out at the local Y and one of their trainers said to stop the cardio for two months and just do weight training, but I am thinking that is not right, what to do? I promised me it would work, my muscle mass increasing and my fat loss decreasing, he said if it didnt then he would give me 5 free training hours. But what I have been doing has been working and Im afaid to do anything else, my weight loss has slowed since I have less than 20 lbs left to lose. I dont know, what do you all think? Thanks
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    There is a book out about this - I'm sure someone will know the name of it - and I think someone is on this "diet" - I can't remember who though.

Anytime someone says "this is the fix all", I don't believe them. Health is about taking care of your entire body. No fitness regime is complete without all the factors: strength, cardio, flexibility, and balance. You may lose weight by just doing weights, but your heart will not thank you for it.

If your fitness regime is working, stick with it. The last weight comes off the slowest.

I wouldn't want 5 free hours with someone who didn't have a full body approach.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that cardio is how you burn the majority of your calories, so are you willing to go on a calorie restriction to make up the difference?
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How much cardio do you do and how much strength training? Maybe just cut back on the cardio and focus more on the strength training? They're both important for health, right?
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Well I usually did 60 min on the eliptical 3 times a week, but I would be willing to cut back on that, but all???? I just dont know what to tell him today when he sees me on the elptical??? He is really helpful with weights and I did make a deal that I would try the no cardio for 2 months, but now I have had time to think about it and I dont think that is a way for me to go, I know I shouldnt care what he thinks but that is just me I care what everyone thinks.
  • becca51
    becca51 Posts: 19
    Options
    I use to to complete cardio and I lost the most pounds this way ... however, I went through clothing sizes faster by weight training. Cardio is burning some fat, but depending on how quickly your losing and your calorie intake, you're probably losing muscle as well--so while youre scale says your losing weight, youre actually gaining more fat than muscle.

In addition, you can make a weight lifting a cardio workout by switching from arm workouts to leg workouts every set. It keeps your blood rushing all around your body, and thus, you burn more calories.

Another thing to keep in mind is that muscle raises your metabolism since it requires more energy to maintain muscle than it does fat. Muscle weighs more, so the scale might not be moving but your clothing is rapidly getting too big. And, weightlifting keeps your metabolism raised for up to 48 hours, while I think cardio doesnt keep it raised for more than 6 or 12.

If it worries you, cut back on your cardio but not all the way. Everyone's workout is personal, and while there might be better ways of doing things, as long as you're at the gym, thats all the matters. And actually, I still do cardio and weight train.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Well I usually did 60 min on the eliptical 3 times a week, but I would be willing to cut back on that, but all???? I just dont know what to tell him today when he sees me on the elptical??? He is really helpful with weights and I did make a deal that I would try the no cardio for 2 months, but now I have had time to think about it and I dont think that is a way for me to go, I know I shouldnt care what he thinks but that is just me I care what everyone thinks.

Tell him you'll add more weights, but that plan was not for you.

Everyone cares what others think - you're not alone.