Sodium Help.

Options
mainesm
mainesm Posts: 107 Member
I've had a few health scares lately in my family. Mainly dealing with high blood pressure. On MFP I've started to watch my sodium. I cannot believe how out of control mine is. I know to look for low sodium soups and sauces now, but I need to know some other low sodium, low calorie foods. Preferably lunch and dinner meals. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Make your own soups and sauces. Prepackaged food is notorious for being high in sodium. When you do your own cooking, you have far more control over how much salt is added.
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    I've had a few health scares lately in my family. Mainly dealing with high blood pressure. On MFP I've started to watch my sodium. I cannot believe how out of control mine is. I know to look for low sodium soups and sauces now, but I need to know some other low sodium, low calorie foods. Preferably lunch and dinner meals. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have the same issue and would love some new ideas!! :smile:
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    Make everything yourself is the best way. There's tonnes of all sorts of crap added to pre-packed sauces and it's just as easy to make your own xxx
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    question for you, are you craving sodium? Or are you trying to eliminate the hidden pre packaged sodiums? I ask because some people need more sodium than others, and I think it is a wild misconception that sodium is the main cause of blood pressure problems. I am no medical expert, but have done my reading. Have you checking into your local private health food store for more info. Mine has a fabulous reading section.
  • MsTiffCM
    Options
    I also have HBP in my family & Im afraid that I have it too but not severe. I have been watching my sodium intake & of course cooking is hard. But they also have all kind of salt substitutes but some I do not care for. But what I have found works best for me now is sea salt! That's all I use now! To me it tasted different at first but now I can't taste a difference to the real salt. And they say you dont have to use as much because its stronger apparently. But I know its a lot better for you! Still watch out for it but it helps me :) Look into it! Hope this helps you!
  • fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cook at home, and when you do, don't salt anything until you get to the table. You use less salt this way, because it is closer contact with your taste buds.
  • mainesm
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I am not much of a cook... yet! I am a newlywed, settling into our life as a family with a full-time job and everything. Can you please share some recipes or sites for healthy recipes? I need and I am willing to learn the art of cooking :-)
  • mainesm
    Options
    question for you, are you craving sodium? Or are you trying to eliminate the hidden pre packaged sodiums? I ask because some people need more sodium than others, and I think it is a wild misconception that sodium is the main cause of blood pressure problems. I am no medical expert, but have done my reading. Have you checking into your local private health food store for more info. Mine has a fabulous reading section.

I am really not aware of my craving for sodium. Over the next couple of days I plan to pay attention to my craving for sodium. Thank you for the wonderful advice. I will look into my local health stores.