Snacks...

Options
I have come to the conclusion that snacks are going to be essential for me to continue this journey properly. Now don't get me wrong I have included snacks so far, just not regular ones.

I wouldn't mind regularly including snacks, but am having trouble on the what, when, where. Usually I am good until about 3pm(Iknow, blood sugar dip time) and then yikes! Some of my snacks so far have been apples, cheese, nuts,and granola bars...unless I'm too far gone...then it's whatever is closest (luckily I don't keep sweets in the house anymore). In short...HELP!!!

Replies

• Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I like to put a tablespoon chunky peanut butter on a toasted whole grain english muffin. I find it really filling.
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    I usually will have some almonds, pretzels, 1/2 an apple, pickles, string cheese. I would love to hear some other peoples ideas too though, i get stuck eating the same thing all the time!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not sugary cold cereal like Quaker Oatmeal Squares or any other low cal and low fat one, baby carrots, low fat popcorn, a few raw almonds, laughing cow cheese on low fat crackers.
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I usually have fruit for snacks. Apples, bananas, oranges, pears.. it gives you a nice little energy burst, too :)

In the evenings, I usually go for popcorn and a little dark chocolate.
  • masterfitness4u
    Options
    Almonds are very good snack and add that with whole wheat penne with a table spoon of Mexican cream= filling and energy boost until dinner time. Just need away to heat up the whole wheat pasta before you eat it.
  • positivespin29
    positivespin29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Justin's Hazelnut Peanut Butter w/ a banana, Clif Mojo Peanut Pretzel bar, Grapes, Pistachios, Cottage Cheese & strawberries

:flowerforyou:
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs .
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Jif to go is a good one :) grapes, cheese sticks, dry veggies, chipins, a banana, Just experiment see what is convieant and liked by you :)
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've tried no fat, plain yogurt and added fruit to it. I've had laughing cow cheese's with triscuit crisp crackers. I also like a slice or two of turkey breast. Nuts are also good. :)
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Wow! You all have some great ideas on what to eat...now what about when?? Like, what times do you snack? 10am and 2pm???
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    TWO OPTIONS I find useful.

1) If you can spend time making it - then make an egg salad - chopped onion, boiled egg (cut in smaller pieces), chopped tomato, some oregano, salt. (optional - any salad dressing or a little ranch) It tastes good and gives u good proteins too.

2) If you are hungry and can't spend much time cooking - Walmart Sugar Cinnamon Cookies would be the way to go. Coz its sweet, it keeps you off food for a longer time and keeps away all cravings too. 1 cookie = 140 calories.

Trust me, I have had half a cookie and still felt much better a lot of time. Try it or else we'll hunt something new together :p

Oh I missed one drinking snack option - Half an apple, 2/3 cup milk, little sugar (make a shake) its yummy and it makes you full.

Try Try Try - until you succeed. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I usually snack between meals so I don't go nuts before dinner. So I eat breakfast around 7ish, then a snack around 10, lunch at 11:30ish, then snack around 1 or 2, Dinner around 4:30 or 5ish, and if still hungry a snack before 8.

Snacks:

deli ham/turkey wrapped around a light stick of string cheese
    bolied eggs
    raw veggies
    rice cakes
    cliff bars(they have mini's )
    fresh fruit (apples, grapes, berries)
    nuts
    sugar free jello with light cool whip
    fiber one bars
    Skinny cow(all of their line is yummy)
  • liaalyn
    liaalyn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach! I keep some in my fridge at work.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I basically snack all day.. I have very light main meals... I eat atleast every 4 hours usually every 3 at work it's at every break which is every 2 :) at home it's when I feel hungry :)
  • candeebandland
    Options
    I dream of Onederland
  • JuliePete
    Options
    I will eat whatever I can find for a snack, but have recently enjoyed finding Weight Watchers snack cakes (80 cals) and mini Orville Redenbacher's popcorn bags. (both butter and kettle corn flavors only 100 cals/bag)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Balance bars. I usually just eat a quarter at a time. The sweet & salty almonds is my fav. When my store runs out of those, I get lemon meringue.
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great snack ideas! :) I guess I just need to plan my snacks into my day and bring them along to work. I'm guessing about 10am and 3pm would be good snack times for me and maybe an evening snack on those 12 hour shift or super busy days! Hmmmm...what to snack on tomorrow?? I have almonds and apples...sounds like a plan! :)
  • shapoz
    shapoz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to keep fresh foods in the house...they are either gone in a day (my son eats all the strawberries in one sitting) or they go bad before we actually get a chance to use them, like green onions or tomatoes.

So far, this past couple of weeks, I've been raiding my son's snack stach for school. When I make his lunch he usually gets a sandwich and either a pudding or a fruit cup or apple sauce and then a snack, like fruit roll ups or some kind of fruit snack, or cheese stick. (I know this isn't supposed to be about my son...but that gives you a reference). Lately, he ate all my hummus and pita and I haven't been back to the store yet, so I've been gnashing on his snacks. They are NOT filling and they don't make me "feel" good, both mentally (because I'm stealing my son's food) and physically (I feel worse after eating the fruit snacks or fruit roll up than if I were to eat a banana or some other natural fruit. It just doesn't "do it" for me.

I really need snacks that will last a long time in the house as well as snacks that last a long time in my belly...
    So, jwerman, I thank you for your post asking about snacks. It's good to read and get ideas from other people. Sometimes we get stuck in a food rut and forget about all the other wonderful and good for you foods that are out there.