calories burned combining walking and jogging

Options
I do not own a heart rate moniter, (I know, I need to get one) so I have simply been plugging in my info into Calorie Burned Calculators I find online. My question is, my work out usually consists of going to the track and running the straights (fairly fast paced. Faster than a jog but slower than a sprint) and then fast-paced walking the curves. By adding it all up at the end of the workout, I've walked a mile, and ran a mile, but obivously not all at once because I run then walk then run then walk etc. So my question is:

On the Calories burned calculator, can I enter "ran for a mile" and "walked for a mile" and add those two calorie counts together to get my total? Or does me interspersing the walking and running make the calculation not accurate.

I swear y'all are the smartest people. I have gotten every single one of my questions answered beautifully.

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    curious too
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    When you're done with your 2 miles, what's your mile pace? Is the over all pace you did the miles in, in the exercise database? If so, you could just use that to input your exercise.

With that being said .... my experience with MFP is it is very generous with passing out the 'ole calories burned. I have a HRM and it's always lower than what MFP calculates - sometimes there's over a 200+ difference.
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    I don't know what anyone else will say but that is what I would do! Of course when you get a heart rate monitor you will know for sure! :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I would add up how many miles you've done, then figure your MPH, then base your calories on that. So if you do 30 minutes at 4 MPH, and 30 minutes at 6 MPH, that's an hour at 5 MPH, and you can plug that into the database.
  • bigfatbitchface
    Options
    i also do the walking / running combination, though i do it on a treadmill. i recently got a heart rate monitor and the difference between what the treadmill says i burned and what i actually burned per my monitor is huge. i think without the heart rate monitor counting the cal burned is going to be really difficcult. i found mine on amazon for $37.
  • krazykatcg
    Options
    Thank y'all so much. Plugging in the MPH is a really good idea that I did not think of. Thank you!