So moms....I'm on the edge of giving up....but..............

Options
....there's still that lingering hope. Wow, that sounds backwards huh?

I want to lose weight, but I can't do it by limiting what I eat (I'm breastfeeding so I have to eat at least 2000-2200 calories). I mean, I do need to make healthy choices, I know.....but I've already lost the weight I can by eating well. It's all about exercising now. And I have an 8 month old and an almost 3 year old. I have to take them everywhere. We can't afford a gym membership and it's getting cold, wet, and icky outside.

Any moms who have been there and can give some advice?? I feel like I don't need to explain much, cuz I just know there is someone who can relate.

Replies

• ManicMelody
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but I know that a lot of people are doing Insanity or Jillians 30 Day Shred indoors. That might be a good option. =]
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    How much are you still nursing? You should be able to start lowering your caloric intake soon.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I was going to suggest getting a couple of DVDs (ie. JM 30 Day Shred) and alternating them so you don't get bored. You can do these during nap time or after they have gone to bed for the night. Also, are there any malls close by? You can load up the stroller and do some laps at the mall.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ive heard good things about insanity, and 30 day shred is like 8 bucks at walmart. try a couple dvds at the house. i opted for a gym membership with child care, because my kids drive me nutty and if i didnt get that 2 hours out of the house i would go absolutely insane.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I lost so much weight while breastfeeding! I only are super healthy food, but how ever much I wanted. And I worked out every time my daughter took a nap (back then it was good old Tae Bo on vhs). I lost 50 pounds in 4 months!!

I nursed full time for the first year, on demand, so cutting calories wasn't for me either...

You just have to MOVE! :bigsmile:
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest getting a couple of DVDs (ie. JM 30 Day Shred) and alternating them so you don't get bored. You can do these during nap time or after they have gone to bed for the night. Also, are there any malls close by? You can load up the stroller and do some laps at the mall.
    when my first one was a baby i would always go to the mall on nasty days and do some laps. BUT id always end up with a pretzel = / lol
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    sahm here, with kids only 17months apart! i feel ya! though, luckily, my oldest is FINALLY in kindergarten! don't get me wrong, i love my little kiddos with all my heart, but things are so much easier with one!!

anyway, i second the dvd idea. the jm 30ds only takes about 27 minutes. you could squeeze that in during a nap, right? or the tae bo ones are pretty short too. you don't need much, if any, equipment for most. give them a try. use the search function here and look up some 30ds results. you'll be amazed!!

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lazybis
    lazybis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ur routine seems tough. I have one baby and he is 10 months old..So i kind of understand.

For me losing weight is one of the only things i do for myself in the entire day.The rest of my time is spent in running after my baby.

You say u have to take your kids out for activities? That's good.Try walking instead of going by car. put on music and dance at home.Since it's getting cold and dark earlier now, try to go for a walk in the afternoon whenever you can.
    Have lukewarm water with lemon juice and green tea!
    Hope that helps :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    If your baby is that old, you should not be eating that much to be in losing mode. I wouldn't go over 1800 calories with an 8 month old, assuming the baby is eating a fair amount of table food now.
  • jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I've had 5 kids and nursed all five of them! Get Jillian's 30 Day Shred, or shed, can't recall because I just log it as 30DS--it cost $10. at walmart. That and motivation will carry you a long way and it only takes 30 minutes. Honest.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am not a Mom, but walking has added quite a burn to my days, so if you can fit in there with the strength training and occasional HIIT (high intensity intervals) you will be rocking on track.
  • coreymusonda
    coreymusonda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think everyone else has great advice, but for me it was all about giving myself permission to just be a mom for the first sleepless years. My kids are now 4 and 2 and for the first 2 years of my youngest's life I was not getting much sleep at all. I simply told myself (and my husband too) that I was just going to focus on being a great mom and not worry about losing weight until my kids were sleeping through the night (while still trying my best to be active). I started MFP in August (my youngest was 2 years, 2 months old) and since I can count on them sleeping, I put them to bed and workout hard core after they're sleeping. It's also much easier to limit my calorie intake and eat healthy meals since I am preparing meals for them as well and want them to eat healthy (I actually give my 4 year old the same serving size as myself, though he doesn't eat it all). Anyway, it is working well for me. I lost all of my pre-pregnancy (x2) weight after after about a month and a half or working hard. It also helped me to sign up for some races (I did a 10-mile walk and a 13.1 mile walk/run) as it gave me motivation and goals to work toward.

Whatever you end up doing, find what works for you and remember to enjoy your babies - they grow up SO FAST!

Best of luck
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my barely 2-yo, putting me at practically a solid 7 years of non-stop nursing. Let me tell you a something.... LOL I can relate. I have found that I'm a bottomless pit while BFing, AND that while it's true that it takes calories off, I've come to the conclusion that (in MY body anyway), it takes off big weight, but WILL NOT let your body let go of 'that last 10 lbs.' KWIM? That's what my problem is-- I think my body, knowing that it's responsible for another human, clings to those last few lbs.

My other ideas-- I second the idea of weights, Jillian DVDs, something to tone up. You'll start feeling and looking better even if the number on the scale might not dip as low as you'd like. Also agree with the idea that, depending on the age of your baby, you can start limiting your calories some. There is an option in the food log for nursing moms, I think you search for "breastfeeding", pick infant or older toddler, then it adds the negative calories for you. Of course, watch your supply to know if you need to up or down that amount, and always drink tons of water.

You mention gyms, and I know it's hard to justify that cost as a SAHM. But... As a SAHM, it's honestly the smartest money we spend, I think. I'd cut back on a lot before I cut our my gym membership. Find the right gym, and you've got daycare for the time you want to work out, PLUS taking a shower (ALL BY YOURSELF!!! We're both moms, I know you'll get the importance of that LOL), and even some perks. My kids take swim lessons, ballet, and have special babysitting nights DH & I can go out, all at our gym. It's expensive, but it is so, so worth it. Another option is that the gym daycares (around here anyway) usually hire moms as caregivers-- so some of my gym buddies work at our gym, work in the gym daycare, then have their child in the daycare while they work for a couple of hours a couple of times a week, and also while they workout-- free membership included. I've thought about doing that myself when money gets tighter.

Best of luck! It's so hard as a mom, but truely, EVERYONE has their reasons it's hard, kwim? Keep on truckin'!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i'm a mom. i have two thoughts:

First I think you CAN lose weight now....first of all, I think it's ok to diet if you're nursing. I did and the weight peeled off. My kid got everything he needed too (I went on a raw foods diet, so I had plenty of nutrients/vitamins/fats/fiber/protein but was super low on calories). I suppose you'll have to talk to your doctor about that, but my doctor was all into natural medicine and understood raw foods lifestyle. Also, i exercised with my infant. Running strollers are good. I would also hold my baby on my lap as I did sit ups. And I'd lie him on his back and do push ups to kiss him. Also, remember, children ARE FANTASTIC WEIGHTS! You are weight training ALL DAY LONG! Give yourself credit for that! Walkign crying babies IS CARDIO! Again, give yourself credit!

Second, even if watching what you eat or getting in the exercise isn't gonna happen for you right now for whatever reason, bear in mind that where you are now will NOT last forever! Maybe instead of feeling bad about your body, rejoice in these critically important developmental stages for those little munchkins and tell yourself that when they are both in school, you will turn some of that same daily effort to yourself and your own improvement!

My personal experience was that I was super fit when my son was a baby. I'd run with him in the stroller. I ate healthy. He nursed like a million calories out of me. I was skinny then. WHen I stopped nursing was when I packed on the weight. And then i went to graduate school and packed on more. It's circumstantial for all of us. For me, sticking to 1200 calories has been key. I personally think that if you are overweight it's probably ok to lower your calorie intake even though you are nursing. I also think it's ok to not do that and to backburner this weight loss mission until you have more time for yourself.

Either way, hon, congrats on the munchkins! Mamahood is the best thing I have ever done!
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You're baby is 8 months old so your milk is well established and runs little risk of disappearing. And your baby is probably eating solids so you really don't need the entire 500 calories typically allotted for breastfeeding moms. And it takes some pretty drastic measures to cause a drop in milk anyway.
    SO! With that being said...and barring a medical reason not stated...I'd start cutting back on those calories. Start slowly so you don't feel hungry (I was ravenous when breastfeeding!) and workout.
    The truth is that whether you workout and burn those calories, or you eat less, the same things will happen!
    Don't use breastfeeding as an excuse. And if you're unsure, talk to your doctor or a LLL leader. They should be able to assuage your concerns and send you on a path you feel comfortable with.

Regarding cheap, easy, and probably fast workouts: I am a huge fan of crossfit type workouts in small spaces and tight schedules. Do a google search for crossfit for beginners at home. You'll get a ton of info and it is a killer burn! And usually in a very small amount of time.
    I've also done the 30DS, but never in its entirety because I get bored, lol.
  • 2girlymama
    Options
    Some thoughts from your replies (which thank you so much by the way).

My 8 month is actually primarily breastfeed. So I still do consider it a 500 calorie lost. I'll be trying to get her into food more but she really isn't interested. Also, exercise during naps is near impossible because my baby r.e.f.u.s.e.s. to sleep alone. And since this is not a parenting site, I won't ask advice about that. (I've literally tried everything....by the way...to no avail). So she typically sleeps while I hold her on the couch/rocker, in bed if I lay with her, in the backpack carrier, or in the carseat when we're out. All this to say, the majority of my day is spent getting her to sleep and/or sleeping on her own.

That's why I need to make a change...either in my mentality of how/when I should devote to getting healthy and fit or to get a membership at a gym (by the way thank you Sarabelplus3 for those thoughts on getting a membership. ). I don't really see any other options.

Maybe what I'll do is get the JM 30ds from the library and see if I can work it on to my schedule first before I purchase it.

THANK YOU ALL so much for your input. And even for the "just be a mom and enjoy it" advice. I do love being a mom but when I see other people who are getting healthy and fit I want to too. I want to feel good and enjoy being active with my girls. Just need to get creative about it though.