The Endomorph

Options
I am reading an e-book by Tom Venuto, a natural body builder and he has pinned it down for me. I am an endomorph. I bet many of you are too! Read below to find out if you are and what to do about it.

Most people who are working hard but still struggling to lose body fat are
endomorphs. An endomorph is someone with a slow metabolism who is genetically prone
to store fat easily. Endomorphs are usually, but not always, large framed with medium to
large joints.
Endomorphs sometimes have varying degrees of carbohydrate sensitivity and
insulin resistance, so high carbohydrate diets are usually not effective for body fat control.
Processed and refined carbohydrates that contain white sugar and white flour are
especially detrimental and tend to convert to body fat more rapidly in endomorphs. Low
to moderate carbohydrate diets with higher protein usually work best for endomorphs.
While some genetically gifted mesomorphs and ectomorphs can eat whatever they
want and never gain any fat, the endomorph must eat clean and healthy almost all the
time. This requires the development of high levels of nutritional discipline. Endomorphs
are the types who will tend to gain body fat very quickly if they eat too much or if they eat
the wrong types of foods.
Endomorphs cannot “cheat” frequently and get away with it. Their metabolisms
are extremely unforgiving. One or two cheat meals per week seem to be the limit. Poor
daily nutrition habits or frequent cheat days always set them back.
Endomorphs generally have a very difficult time losing fat with diet alone. Even a
nearly perfect diet sometimes won’t work by itself because the endomorph needs the
boost in metabolism that exercise provides.

Endomorph characteristics:
Naturally high levels of body fat (often overweight)
Usually large boned, large joints, large frame (but not always)
Short, tapering arms and legs
Smooth, round body contours (round or pear shaped body)
Wide waist and hips
Waist dominates over chest
Tendency to always store excess calories as fat (can’t get away with overeating)
Keeping fat off after it is lost is a challenge
Tendency to be sluggish, slow moving and lacking energy
Slow thyroid or other hormone imbalance (sometimes)
Fairly good strength levels
Sensitive to carbohydrates (carbs are easily stored as fat)
Responds better to diets with higher protein and low (or moderate) carbs
Naturally slow metabolic rate/low set point (fewer calories burned at rest)
Falls asleep easily and sleeps deeply
A lot of cardio is necessary to lose weight and body fat
Extremely difficult to lose weight (requires great effort)
Bouts of fatigue and tiredness
Often describe themselves as having a "slow metabolism"
Tendency to gain fat easily as soon as exercise is stopped
Tendency to lose fat slowly, even on a "clean," low fat, low calorie diet.
Often overweight, even though they don't eat very much
Respond best to frequent, even daily, training

Endomorph training and nutrition strategy:

When it comes to fat loss, a well-planned, strategic approach to nutrition and
training is more important for the endomorph than for any other body type. The
endomorph strategy focuses on high levels of activity and extreme levels of discipline and
consistency in nutritional habits. Most endomorphs also need some degree of
carbohydrate restriction with higher protein levels to compensate.
High protein, medium to low carbs
High protein, low to moderate carb diets work best for the endomorph. Endomorphs
usually have varying degrees of carbohydrate sensitivity and insulin resistance. Therefore,
high carbohydrate, low fat diets are usually not effective. Sugar is a major no-no:
Processed and refined carbohydrates that contain white sugar and white flour tend to
convert to body fat very rapidly in endomorphs because of the way they affect the
hormone insulin.

Exercise is an absolute MUST
Endomorphs generally have a very difficult time losing fat with diet alone. Even a closeto-
perfect diet often doesn’t work by itself because the endomorph needs the boost in
metabolism that comes from exercise. The endomorph must do everything in his or her
power to stimulate their metabolism and this means combining good nutrition with
weight training and aerobic training. To diet without exercising means certain failure for
the endomorph.

Large amounts of cardio
Someone with a low endomorph component may stay lean with little or no cardio at all.
Endomorphs need a larger quantity of cardio to lose body fat. Most endomorphs will lose
fat with surprising ease by doing some type of cardio at least 4 – 5 times per week.
Extreme endomorphs usually need cardio every day (seven days per week). All
endomorphs will tend to gain the fat back if they stop doing cardio completely. Often,
they successfully lose weight, but then put it back on if they haven’t made the
commitment to continue exercising for life.

Replies

• rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Wow Amazing information & Thank you for sharing it!!:flowerforyou:
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    OMG!! This is Me! Man, this bites. No wonder I was having trouble losing weight, until i started to work out 7 days a week sometimes twice. Thank you so much for posting this, i iwll have to look up this book.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This describes me perfectly! Insulin resistance, hormone imbalances, body shape, trouble losing even when I am strict with calories....I have noticed that when I exercise regularly, the weight melts off. Thanks for sharing!
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Everything that you described about carbs are bullseye! This is just the way it is for us endomorphs. I can eat bacon daily and no weight gain but if i indulge in carbs that scale goes up and it takes days before I normalize to the weight I was before.
  • solocircles
    Options
    That sounds like it could be me, I've always eaten pretty wholesomely, but find myself always carrying 10 lbs. more than I would like. It's frusterating, because often people lose weight just by cutting out the junk foods--chips, soda, candy, etc. and voila! For me, who eats whole, organic foods, never fast food, and only frew sweets, etc. this strategy doesn't work because I'm not eating bad stuff to begin with. I try to be reasonable about it, and remind myself health is the ultimate goal, not a "perfect" body, but at the moment I feel a big push to try and get the body I know I'd be the most comfortable with before I turn 30 and things really start to slow down. Interestingly, my mother had the same body type I believe, she looks a little plump in pictures of her my age now, but by the time I was born she was very thin, and only worked out every once and a while (though she did do a lot of active hobbies, like gardening.) So, maybe there's hope!

One question I have is, how do natural sugars play into the endomorphs storing of sugar as fat? Like I said, I steer clear of processed foods, but often my sugar intake will exceed my daily amount from eating fruits, or even a tablespoon of raw maple syrup.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    OMG!! This is Me! Man, this bites. No wonder I was having trouble losing weight, until i started to work out 7 days a week sometimes twice. Thank you so much for posting this, i iwll have to look up this book.

The book is called Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. It has a lot of great information in it. And it is not just for body builders!
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's really important to remember, that though a lot of you might think you are an endomorph, you need to experiment more with diet and exercise to know for certain. I used to think I was of a more endomorphic nature because I was loosing slowly and thought where I was storing fat was very much like an endomorph. But once I played around with diet/exercise I found I'm closer to a mesomorph with endomorphic tendencies. ANYONE who is overweight is going to have a slower metabolism and a harder time losing weight without a lot of effort and discipline. It's once you get going that you can really tell.

Very good post though. I went body type research crazy not too long ago.

EDIT: Only reason I say this is because after I looked into it and thought I was an endomorph, I actually got really bummed out that I was going to be doomed despite all my efforts. And even as an endormorph, don't restrict yourself to the point of craving and feeling bad. The idea of portion control (especially with carbs) comes into play more than ever.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    That sounds like it could be me, I've always eaten pretty wholesomely, but find myself always carrying 10 lbs. more than I would like. It's frusterating, because often people lose weight just by cutting out the junk foods--chips, soda, candy, etc. and voila! For me, who eats whole, organic foods, never fast food, and only frew sweets, etc. this strategy doesn't work because I'm not eating bad stuff to begin with. I try to be reasonable about it, and remind myself health is the ultimate goal, not a "perfect" body, but at the moment I feel a big push to try and get the body I know I'd be the most comfortable with before I turn 30 and things really start to slow down. Interestingly, my mother had the same body type I believe, she looks a little plump in pictures of her my age now, but by the time I was born she was very thin, and only worked out every once and a while (though she did do a lot of active hobbies, like gardening.) So, maybe there's hope!

One question I have is, how do natural sugars play into the endomorphs storing of sugar as fat? Like I said, I steer clear of processed foods, but often my sugar intake will exceed my daily amount from eating fruits, or even a tablespoon of raw maple syrup.

Sugars are carbs so maybe you should see what happends if you cut down a little bit. I would never recommend cutting fruits but maybe instead, cut out some breads to equal out the carbs. It is worth a try!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I kept avoiding clicking on this link but I am so glad I did. :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    somatotypes are simply what people use for an excuse, they are bs imo
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options

It kinda reminds me of your horriscope/astrology. But it is nice to put yourself in a category sometimes and feel like someone "gets" you
  • brandenocs
    brandenocs Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, I agree with this guy. ^
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

^^This^^^
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That is SOOOO me! If I stop working out, i gain weight right away.

--- and any word that ends with 'morph' makes me giggle... :wink:
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    That is SOOOO me! If I stop working out, i gain weight right away.

--- and any word that ends with 'morph' makes me giggle... :wink:

It reminds me of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (which my son is obsessed with right now)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I've never known what to make of any of this. The best I've been able to make out, I have an ectomorph's bone structure with mesomorph and endomorph tendencies where the "upholstery" is concerned.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much again, I'm reading it now! Awesome advice!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

It kinda reminds me of your horriscope/astrology. But it is nice to put yourself in a category sometimes and feel like someone "gets" you

That's exactly right. Arbitrary categorization is limiting, at best.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    Great info TS. Thanks for sharing! Think I am between Endomorph and Mesomorph. Not so sure though.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

That's what I would have said, but I don't disagree with Tom Venuto if I can help it. BS or not, he's produced a lot of results in his day.

IMHO, if you think you might be an ectomorph, try doing Venuto's suggestions and track how they work for you. If they work, great. If not, try something else.