Is there a way to find out the calories before cooking them?

auntkaren
auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
I am trying to find american fried potato's ......I can't find them on the list under potato's/ :smile: there is baked, mashed,hash browns,french fried, but no fried. I thought I would fry them with pam spray to keep the calories low. Do you have any idea what they would be or where to find the info? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• auntkaren
    I am trying to find american fried potato's ......I can't find them on the list under potato's/ :smile: there is baked, mashed,hash browns,french fried, but no fried. I thought I would fry them with pam spray to keep the calories low. Do you have any idea what they would be or where to find the info? Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Try entering the ingredients you'll be using in a recipe calculator.......this one has worked well for a few of us!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • auntkaren
    Thanks , I'll check it out.:smile:
  • auntkaren
    Try entering the ingredients you'll be using in a recipe calculator.......this one has worked well for a few of us!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
    That is a great site and found out it was really high in calories:frown: Think I will be looking for a different way to fix my potato's:drinker:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    I bake mine in the oven.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    i normaly like my fries this way. its not too bad in calories...

potatoes cut in fries, i like with the skin left on
    boiled them with a bit of salt just to say that they are cooked a bit, you dont want then to break up
    drain the water and cover with some olive oil. normaly for 2 serving a little less then a table spoon will do.
    put in the oven for 15-20 min until they are nice and golden.
    not sure about how much exactly calories , depends how big your portion.
    but for 100g its about 150 calories...

let me know what you think !
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    same as may-marie but you can add all kinds of spices when you drizzle them in olive oil I do my kids plain with a touch of sea salt helps them go crisp and for me and my hubby I sprinkle with garlic and chilli powder the chili powder can be quite fiery so experiment with a little bit then next time you can increase the chili powder it depends on your taste whether you like hot or not so hot I like in between and use 2 tsp plus I think chili is good for the metabolism as spicy foods are supposed to help speed it up?

Oh and you can go for thicker than fries and make nice wedges that go well with a homemade dip like salsa or gaucamole just add about 10 mins to the cooking time.

I know what I am having for dinner tonight.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    bake a potato and cut it in rounds about 1/2 inch.
    spray both sides with pam and season how you like.
    Place in a hot non stick pan and cook over medium high heat about 5 minutes a side.
    The calories will be for a baked potato.
    If you boil them first it will do the same thing. You are breaking down the starches and this is what gives you the crispy outside and fluffy inside.

If I am making baked potatoes for dinner, I bake extra and throw them in the fridge. That way I can have french fries in about 15 minutes.

Good Luck