I heard it was a myth...

Options
...that you can only digest 30g of protein per meal? Has anyone else heard of this?
I ask because I drink a protein shake every morning. at 24g of protein. Would it be okay to have 2 scoops and make it 48g? or is it better to spread it out and drink one 24g protein shake in the morning and another 24g one later?

Replies

• mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    never heard of this before sorry though im sure in which the vessel that the protein comes may be a factor... i.e. liquid form/solid form
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    I am not sure about the whole 30g of protein pure meal but I do know how to calculate the suggested grams of protein you should have in a day. Take your current body weight and multiply it by 0.8. If two scoops of protein puts you over that for the day I would resist if not go for it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this before either, sounds silly to me.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I always go over my protein, and it has never been a problem.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have heard that myth about 1000 times xD It doesn't absorb directly as it hits your stomach. Whey digests fast though. If it fits your macros why not?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I never heard of it either & I'm pretty much sure that is a silly myth. We need to eat at least 0.5g of protein per pound of weight a day so a 30g alone is way too low. My diet consists of 30% protein which equals to 122g per day or slightly more than 1g per pound of weight. And I never get anything other than an improved body composition & more muscle definition.
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    The only thing that over-protein'ing (lol) does for me is give me wicked gas :laugh:
  • SummerFun2011
    Options

Thank you. Will be reading this more in depth soon :flowerforyou: I skimmed through it and saw the absorption rate for whey was fast. I am assuming that it doesn't matter even though it is whey and can just have my huge protein shake? I don't eat a lot of meat, dairy, or eggs so whey is my main source.
    Also I am only getting about 70g of protein a day. Is this too little?
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    Multiply your current weight by .8 and you will get how many grams you should have on a daily basis.
  • xochi71
    xochi71 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have never heard of this either. I have seen a nutritionist and based on my body weight, age,height, workout schedule and my job: I consume 126g of protein. That is it about 21 grams per meal. I have never had a problem with digesting and I have lost over 25 lbs since January.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Thank you. Will be reading this more in depth soon :flowerforyou: I skimmed through it and saw the absorption rate for whey was fast. I am assuming that it doesn't matter even though it is whey and can just have my huge protein shake? I don't eat a lot of meat, dairy, or eggs so whey is my main source.

Whey is fast when you compare it to other protein sources, but it will still take 3-4 hours for a 25g dose to fully digest.
  • SummerFun2011
    Options

Whey is fast when you compare it to other protein sources, but it will still take 3-4 hours for a 25g dose to fully digest.

Oh that makes sense :smile: This may sound like a very dumb question, but does it take 6-8 hours to digest the 50g then?
    Still at a loss if 2 scoops of powder is okay :laugh: :laugh:
  • PB67
    Options

Oh that makes sense :smile: This may sound like a very dumb question, but does it take 6-8 hours to digest the 50g then?
    Still at a loss if 2 scoops of powder is okay :laugh: :laugh:

Okay? Sure.

Overkill? Maybe. (Depending on how much you're taking in the rest of the day).
  • SummerFun2011
    Options

Okay? Sure.

Ah okay. Im only taking in about 70g because I apparently am not a fan of any source of protein. So i thought it would make life easier to get it all at one time and out of the way. I understand though! I proabably should spread it out :flowerforyou:
  • PB67
    Options

Okay? Sure.

Ah okay. Im only taking in about 70g because I apparently am not a fan of any source of protein. So i thought it would make life easier to get it all at one time and out of the way. I understand though! I proabably should spread it out :flowerforyou:

If you're relying on shakes for the majority of your protein intake, I would recommend getting something other than straight whey.
    It's best to get your protein from a variety of sources, since each has unique nutritional benefits.

Trueprotein.com has a product called "Team Skip" which has whey, casein, and egg protein.

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=43&pid=534
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone the RDA for protein is .8kg, not g, per body weight. To get your recommended daily intake of protein per day in grams, multiply your body weight by .36, not .8. Of course that's for a sedentary adult, but that's the formula to use and where I assume most people get the faulty idea that you multiply by .8. That's a lot of protein, which isn't necessarily good for you.

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=251
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • SummerFun2011
    Options

Okay? Sure.

If you're relying on shakes for the majority of your protein intake, I would recommend getting something other than straight whey.
    It's best to get your protein from a variety of sources, since each has unique nutritional benefits.

Trueprotein.com has a product called "Team Skip" which has whey, casein, and egg protein.

You have a good point! Like I said I think my taste buds work against me on protein. Cannot stand most meats (besides pot roast), hate eggs, and dairy gives me stomach aches :sad: Good thing I came to the boards for advice though!

That link is amazing by the way :smile: very interesting! Will that help me with the variety part then?
  • PB67
    Options

Okay? Sure.

You have a good point! Like I said I think my taste buds work against me on protein. Cannot stand most meats (besides pot roast), hate eggs, and dairy gives me stomach aches :sad: Good thing I came to the boards for advice though!

That link is amazing by the way :smile: very interesting! Will that help me with the variety part then?

I would still recommend mostly whole foods, but it would be an improvement.

Do you eat fish or shellfish?