Has anyone tried the subway diet or what do you think of it?

Options
I am going to try it tomorrow i will order:

Lunch:
6 inch on Italian herb and cheese
No cheese
Oven roasted Chicken
Green peppers
cucumbers
lettuce
spinach
pickles
banana peppers
Dressing just vinegar

Drink Water
Side Apple slices

Dinner
Same but foot long and apple slices

Each 6inch is 390 calories and apple slices are 35 calories each bag

so total for the day is 1240

Is this healthy?

Sometimes ill eat special k for breakfast that is roughly 200 calories
so on those days 1440

Also if anyone wonders I never get sick of subway.

Replies

• hannahjane91
    Options
    i don't see why not!
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Are we talking long term here?

low calorie...yes.
    healthy....no.

Processed meats...fruits with preservatives....etc. etc.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Seems like that would add up money wise

Also subway's breads are not 100% whole grain, its full of sodium, and not all that filling (IMO)
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Subway has lots of sodium in their breads.

I personally am not a fan of it... obviously its better than Mc D's and I do eat Subway once in awhile (once every 2 months) since my sodium is always low and its not a huge deal for me, but I personally wouldnt do it on a daily basis!
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily unhealthy, but is it sustainable? You should be working on a life change...something you can stick with forever. Do you think you'll be able to eat only subway for the rest of your life? This may work, but at some point you ARE going to get sick of subway (plus, that's a lot more expensive than buying your own foods from the grocery and cooking them) and you won't know how to eat nutritiously with normal foods.
  • clippershore
    Options
    You might not get sick of subway, however there are other temptations there that await the hungry individual. Sweet Onion Chicken Tariaki sub to start has the highest of all the subs in cal count. Also waiting just by the register are those devil cookies of theirs just waiting to jump onto your hips.

Disclaimer.. evil cookies from subway attacked me today, so I might be feeling just a little biased.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Why would you spend money on food you can make yourself?
    Seriously, buy your favorite cold cuts, veggies, etc, and make yourself a sandwich. It's the same thing, except that it's cheaper, and you don't have to wait in line.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I thought at one time that Subway was "good for you" but it really isnt! The only sure fire healthy thing there is the salad. The breads are soooo high in sodium which is counterproductive to weight loss. I mean if you are used to eating McKing Bell every day, then yeah, it would make a dent in your caloric intake. BUT, find a better option. Sorry to burst your bubble. Best wishes!
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    mmm...Subway....

You're gonna do what you wanna do... but IMO a "diet" is not the answer. Think bigger. Lifestyle change. Are you going to eat subway every day for the rest of your life? And can you give me a seed from the money tree you own so I can plant one? ;)

Best wishes to you! I think having a "Subway Day" tomorrow might be fun for you to try :)
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    P.S. Their "avocado" is nasty.
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are we talking long term here?

low calorie...yes.
    healthy....no.

Processed meats...fruits with preservatives....etc. etc.

I think subway actually uses apple slices that have been soaked in lemon juice
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Why would you spend money on food you can make yourself?
    Seriously, buy your favorite cold cuts, veggies, etc, and make yourself a sandwich. It's the same thing, except that it's cheaper, and you don't have to wait in line.

My boyfriend makes his own subs at home. They end up being about $3 or less compared to if he ordered that sub from subway... over $5.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The bread is high sodium so I no longer eat there at all.
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea- try something sustainable. Fad diets, no matter how healthy looking they are, are not the way to go. And you shouldn't base your nutrition on some diet made by a fast food chain restaurant.

Try eating healthy,, like real fruits and vegetables. It will be much better for you in the end
  • skinnnyxoxo
    skinnnyxoxo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That would be really expensive and unhealthy.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Subway has lots of sodium in their breads.

I personally am not a fan of it... obviously its better than Mc D's and I do eat Subway once in awhile (once every 2 months) since my sodium is always low and its not a huge deal for me, but I personally wouldnt do it on a daily basis!

Actually it's better than most stuff at McD's.

At subway I usually have a 6 inch turkey sandwich on wheat, with american cheese, tsp or 2 of mustard, lettuce, olives, onions and pepper. Total calories 350, 1600 mg of sodium.

Compare to 6 piece chicken nuggets with apple slices at McD 315 cal, 540 mg of sodium.

Compare to 2 crunhy chicken ttacos at Taco Bell 450 cal 950 mg of sodium.

Diets (as in daily food in take) high in salt are a primary cause of our societies hypertension and high level of obesity. That and over eating.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    That Jared needs a punch in the neck.
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I always thought that it's a very expensive way to go. Diets never work anyways, not for the long term. If you really want to get healthy for life you need to change your eating habits. I found the best way to do this is educate yourself on proper nutrition then slowly take what you learn and work that into your normal eating habits.In no time you will be eating healthier. I spend my money on fitness magazines instead of fast food. Groceries are expensive these days too, but not nearly as eating out all the time. If you don't have a lot of time to make healthy meals there are always little tricks that can help. After a while you find that you want to make time to try new things. I can suggest a few magazines if you are interested. Also, you may never get sick of subway but sticking to the same things all the time will leave holes in your diet for important nutrients. Just something for you to think about.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this healthy?

no
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I thought he had one of the low fat meat 6 inch sandwich and a foot long veggies sandwich when to get to his goal. I never looked into it after hearing that! I agree with the sodium content! I was floored when I saw the sodium content of a half a sub when I thought I was doing good since the sandwich was under 350 calories for a lunchtime meal. I try to steer away from lunchmeat, Lean Pockets and canned soups altogether now.