question for the ladies - IUD

Options
camy_chick
camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
hey ladies i'm just wondering, i have been doing some IUD research online lately....and well, i'm wondering,

have any of you gotten pregnant while having an iud?

if you did, what were your symptoms? were they like a normal pregnancy?

and did your symptoms tip you off that you were pregnant since you don't really, or aren't really supposed to get a period?.

if you did become pregnant, did you end up losing the baby, or delivering safely?

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    umm...are you worried you might be pregnant? cause if so call your OB right away...it's not good at all if you are...
  • jgarcia72
    Options
    I've had IUD's since after my 16 year old was born...never gotten pregnant with one and have never had any problems with the IUD's. I did try the hormone treated one but had to change it back to a regular old fashioned copper one because my migraines got worse due to the hormones. I am unable to take the pill for the same reason.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I never got pregnant on the IUD but it got lodged up in my uterus after about a year and it had to be removed.

Every one of my friends have had some kinda problem with the IUD...

I dont recommend it at all!!!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD, Mirena.

I have not gotten pregnant yet. (Better effen not, my girls are 21 & 14!)

However, I have a friend who had a "regular" IUD and did get pregnant while the IUD was in. So it's not 100%.

I do like my Mirena, the only problem I had is that it fell out and I had a nasty little infection because of it, but that's like really rare, and when I had my D&C the doc put another one in, no problems since.

ETA: My friend did not have any complications with her pregnancy. But yes, like an above poster said, if you think you are, go see your OB.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have had the IUD since November 2009 and have not gotten pregnant. I've never known anyone with the IUD who'd conceived either. If you believe you may be pregnant, you need to see a doctor right away.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've had an iud for almost 2 years now. The strings are lost, but I can still feel the tip of it. I'm not really worried because I'm not having any pain.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

However, I have a friend who had a "regular" IUD and did get pregnant while the IUD was in. So it's not 100%.

Is that the copper IUD?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I've had an iud for almost 2 years now. The strings are lost, but I can still feel the tip of it. I'm not really worried because I'm not having any pain.

How can you feel the tip of it? It shouldnt be poking out from your cervix...that seems odd
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I had an IUD put in 3 years ago after i had my twins last Aug I got pregnant with it, I lost the baby in Nov and had to have the IUD surgically removed it had gotten lodged up in the uterus and didn't protect they way it should had.

I am so glad i dont have it anymore I will never recommend IUD to anyone
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies. like i said, i'm just doing some research on the iud. looking into all the different forms of bc. and that is supposed to be one of the most affective types. just wanted to see if people have gotten pregnant on it and if it changes the symptoms at all. thanks for the worrying though.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Is that the copper IUD?

Yes, I believe so. Her daughter is now 15 - 16 years old. I just remember her telling me that she'd gotten pregnant with her IUD when I told her I was going to get the Mirena. And this was 5 years ago or so.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had the copper IUD. I pretty much spotted constantly, after 6 months of that I had it removed. I have 3 friends using I think the hormone kind and they have all had more positive experiences.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have had my Mirena for almost 2 years now and have had no pregnancies or any scares. Everything has stayed in place and my doc checks it every time i go in for my annual or i was told if i feel like something isnt right to just come right in and they will check it.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love my IUD, I have had it for 3 years, never gotten prego and never heard of a friend getting prego, good for you for doing your own research...
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have had a Medina now for about 7 years! Love it!! I have had no issues with them at all! They can be confusing at times being that you may not have a period at all (I don't). Once your ready to have a baby have it removed and it will take your body time to adjust and get regular. I guess it isn't for everyone but I wouldn't use anything else. I got pregnant with both the pill and the Nuava ring! My spelling stinks! lol
  • chennes
    Options
    this might be off the subject but for those who have the Mirena have you had periods with it? ive had my IUD for a yr now and i still get periods and just wondering if its normal?
  • chennes
    Options
    the Nuva Ring is terrible i wouldnt reccomend it i got a dvt blood clot from it and almost died. :(
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Oh, keeping your periods with the plain copper IUD is totally normal. Mines like clockwork.

I did have a bleeding issue when I first got it in, but that was because of several things actually:
    In order to get it, your doctor must first make sure that you are not pregnant, and cannot get that way before you have the IUD put in. Which means if you're having it put in after having a baby, you have to be on birth control for the 6 weeks between the birth, and having the IUD put in. I opted for the Depo shot, and apparently, its a pretty common side effect of Depo/IUD combination for you to bleed or spot continually for "a while." In my case, that was about 6 months. I got tired of it after three and my OB put me on additional BC pills to even out my hormones and stop the bleeding. But that still took 3 months, so if your hormones have ever been the slightest bit odd, this could happen. Nothing painful, but you'll spend a lot of money on pads and tampons.
  • kvolkman01
    Options
    I had the Merena put in the begining of July. The first 2 months were awful. I had symptoms of pregnancy for almost 3 months that eventually went away. Only problem now besides being irregular is my face breaks out constantly. Ive never had skin problems in my life not even as a teenager so its very frustrating. I also put on 20lbs and it seems to be extra hard to try to lose it. I regret having it put in. But mostly because of the weight issue.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I had the Merena put in the begining of July. The first 2 months were awful. I had symptoms of pregnancy for almost 3 months that eventually went away. Only problem now besides being irregular is my face breaks out constantly. Ive never had skin problems in my life not even as a teenager so its very frustrating. I also put on 20lbs and it seems to be extra hard to try to lose it. I regret having it put in. But mostly because of the weight issue.

With Mirena, or any progestin only birth control, your body will experience an excess of androgens. When the body has an excess of androgens (progestin / progesterone) it converts it to dihydrogen testosterone, which causes the acne. If you experience this reaction, you might want to avoid progestin only bc in the future.

For myself, I worked with my dermatologist and take an androgen inhibitor to manage the acne. It worked like a charm. It's called aldactone, and I was on it for a year before being able to taper off. Eventually, the time released progestin in Mirena gets to lower levels, and you have less symptoms (like acne).

I can't explain the weight gain, however. That never happened to me on any bc.