Has anyone tried the subway diet or what do you think of it?

Options

Replies

• AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to this .. obviously .. as some have stated.

If it is something you are willing to pay for and is an improvement from what you're eating .. go for it. Use it as a starting point to transition into a healthier lifestyle. I do not believe it is something you can or should sustain. Not to mention the monotony of it may eventually cause you to fall of and binge on much unhealthier foods.

There are obviously always better choices even within Subway. If you don't go in there with a plan you could easily end up adding on the calories and fat. For example Italian Herb and Cheese is probably the least healthy of the bunch. And, you don't really have any dairy in your products so I wouldn't completely eliminate cheese if you are planning to go strictly subway.

And keep in mind good fats vs bad fats and always in moderation. Olives are great for you, but add too many and you have just added a ton of calories.

Great choice in stick with spinach instead of the shredded lettuce. The general rule of thumb is the greener the better.

Anywho, good luck on your journey wherever it does take you- hopefully to a healthier lifestyle! :)
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Subway gives me "cankles"!! Sodium!!!
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    I eat a couple of their veggie subs/month. As a quick, relatively inexpensive, moderate-calorie meal, I think it's good (in comparison to other fast food.) However, Subway is really just the best of the worst. Fast food is not a healthy way to eat and being on top of the garbage pile is not that great a victory.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says the sodium is way high. It's ok to eat sometimes....but homemade is much better. Processed foods are what we need to stay clear of : )
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    It wasn't even sustainable for the guy whose livelihood depends on it:

jared-fogle-weight-gain-425km120209-1260907331.jpg

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/02/subway-guy-falls-off-the-diet-wagon/
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the make your own sandwich idea. My mom worked at Subway... all that stuff just sits around and sometimes they would just change the dates on them. :indifferent:
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Not healthy at all.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/processedmeat050305.cfm

I do still eat subway, but never more than once per week
  • Cassie5493
    Cassie5493 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! i had no idea the sodium was that bad! i will only eat subway when my family wants to eat from the local Chinese place or pizza as a healthier substitute instead of a life style. All your answers have made me realize that just isnt healthy my mom says " too much of a good thing usually turns bad." I will eat subway tomorrow because my dad already gave me the money but the next day ill go to the local market and get some veggies and fruits. and maybe make my own chicken breast for a sandwich :) thanks
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I love Subway for their veggie salad under $6-- you can get it with falafel!
    Sure, it can be easy to load it up with salty stuff like olives, peppers, pickles and giardinera, but you can just choose fewer salty additions. It's a lot of food for under 300 calories.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Uninformed scaremongering.

"Many studies implicating nitrite and nitrate in cancer are based on very weak epidemiological data. If nitrite and nitrate were harmful to us, then we would not be advised to eat green leafy vegetables or swallow our own saliva, which is enriched in nitrate."

http://www.foodqualitynews.com/Public-Concerns/Nitrite-nitrate-rich-foods-may-not-be-so-bad-after-all

"It has been reported that people normally consume more nitrates from their vegetable intake than from the cured meat products they eat. Spinach, beets, radishes, celery, and cabbages are among the vegetables that generally contain very high concentrations of nitrates (J. Food Sci., 52:1632). The nitrate content of vegetables is affected by maturity, soil conditions, fertilizer, variety, etc. It has been estimated that 10 percent of the human exposure to nitrite in the digestive tract comes from cured meats and 90 percent comes from vegetables and other sources. Nitrates can be reduced to nitrites by certain microorganisms present in foods and in the gastrointestinal tract. This has resulted in nitrite toxicity in infants fed vegetables with a high nitrate level. No evidence currently exists implicating nitrite itself as a carcinogen."

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ0974.html
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I vote for making your own. I think Subway is a better choice than McD's when you're only options are fast food....but it's best to be avoided if you can most of the time. It's okay for every now and then but I certainly wouldn't use it as a "diet" method...
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Wait...there is a Subway diet? What the hell?
  • jewels68
    Options
    I'd stay away from that amount of bread. I don't eat it anymore, granted I have a LapBand. But making your own would be a better choice.
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    Why go to subway when you can make it for less at home? and their bread isnt really that great for you. but i think it sounds like a good plan. get in lots of veggies and protein that way
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was able to build my subway sandwich on here the way I eat it, and the sliced processed turkey meat has 960 mg of sodium, that's where most of the sodium comes from, the 6" wheat bread and the2 slices of american cheese each have 290 and 200 mg of sodium.

The olives and pepper (jalepeno and wax) don't contain that much sodium compared.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Wait...there is a Subway diet? What the hell?

Even Taco Bell has a diet.
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    *co-sign*
    Is this healthy?

no
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It wasn't even sustainable for the guy whose livelihood depends on it:

jared-fogle-weight-gain-425km120209-1260907331.jpg

http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/02/subway-guy-falls-off-the-diet-wagon/

Ruh roh. Jared got chubbeh again!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, the high sodium doesn't really have anything to do with the bread, it's the meat. That's not a Subway thing, though, all deli meat, regardless of source, is going to be incredibly high in sodium (deli sliced turkey averages 500mg of sodium for a 2 oz portion.)
  • 0namission
    Options
    I think if you are use to being on the run and eating fast food then Subway is the way to go...but if you just want to do the diet...id buy my own sandwich stuff and make them from home! Most of what ive heard from peoples replies is the bread is high in sodium....If you make it from home you can choose a low sodium bread andd deli meat! basically all the subway diet is..is sandwiches all the time ....but its gonna cost you a grip in the long run and not gonna be all that healthy just a way to cut back