Snacks that have dill as ingredient

Options
Wendyma1
Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
My daughter has a science project due this week and as extra credit, she wants to make a snack item made with dill. I dont use dill in anything. Anyone have a healthy recipe for a snack that she can bring to share with her classroom???

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks,
Wendy

Replies

• Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles! haha
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has an ingredient search. Try that.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Labneh! It's middle eastern cream cheese you serve with pita bread or pita chips. You make it at home overnight and it has 60% fewer calories than cream cheese. Yummmmm.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/lebanese-cream-cheese-60-fewer-calories-82285

EDITED TO ADD: Just mix in some dried dill at the end. :) So easy.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I make my tuna with mayo, onion and dill weed sometimes. I also make dill dip which is equal parts sour cream and mayo and dill weed to taste. Can also be used in potato salad if dill pickles are used instead of sweet pickles or sweet relish.
  • Wendyma1
    Options
    Thank you! That sounds quick and easy to make and healthy to boot!!!!! :)
  • DeniseSLP
    DeniseSLP Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is my FAVORITE recipe and I use it as a dip with pita chips, fresh cut veggies (carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, etc.) and I also use it in place of mayo for hamburgers, wraps, sandwiches, and gyros.

Tzatziki Sauce

16 oz Greek Yogurt
    2 cucumbers (peeled seeded and diced)
    2 lemons juice
    salt
    pepper
    1 tbsp fresh dill (chopped)
    3 clove garlic cloves (peeled)

Method 1 In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.
  • caterpillar2Butterfly
    Options
    bump
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "quickie" dips is to take nonfat sour cream or nonfat greek yogurt and mix in some onion powder and dill. It's great for dipping veggies, spreading on crackers or eating with baked chips. I also put dill into Cucumber/Tomato salads (with a light vinaigrette dressing). Dill is one of my favorite seasonings on fish.
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I take Greek yogurt, and a little garlic salt, dill weed AND a couple shakes of dried basil mix it up and refrigerate for about an hr to meld the flavors and use as dip for chips, carrots, celery, etc.:drinker:
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Dill is a great add in to any basic recipe. I find it great in deviled eggs, tuna salad, potato salad, on fish with lemon, it can be great.

Dill goes great with cream in my opinion, so any favorite you have that has a mayo or sour cream base, will work.

As for kids....maybe cucumber and salmon sandwiches or a veggie tray? Or my favorite dish is to mix cream cheese, powdered Italian dressing, and dill. Then spread on cracker and maybe top with small veggie slice (celery, tomato, cucumber, etc). It's pretty easy, and is a great finger food option!
  • Wendyma1
    Options
    You guys are awesome, these all sound delicious!
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old your daughter is or how picky her friends/the class are, but dill is GREAT with salmon, and a classic combo - maybe a cooked salmon salad (like tuna salad) but with dill, greek yogurt, salt and pepper, and lemon - you could throw in some scallions too! Or dill cream cheese on a cracker, with a little smoked salmon! Or dill in egg salad, potato salad, or a chip/veggie dip with greek yogurt, celery seed, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper and dill....dill pesto, which you could use on crostini, dill cream cheese + cucumber tea sandwiches (again, smoked salmon would be great here, and pumperknickel bread!), homemade dill pickles - the options are endless!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Not exactly healthy, but okay in small portions--

Seasoned oyster crackers.

It's simple, you just need 2 ten oz. bags of crackers, a cup of oil, a packet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix, a tablespoon of garlic powder & a tablespoon of dill weed.

I'll warn you now. They are ADDICTIVE.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    AHHHHH. I'm craving my own suggestion now. Haha.
  • galaxyfun1
    Options
    I make a lovely salmon dip with creamed cheese, fresh salmon and dill. Just blend it all up and serve with vegie sticks and crackers. It is always a huge hit.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Not healthy at all...but delicious! My boyfriend's mom would mix a box of Ritz cheese crackers with some fresh dill and a package of powdered ranch dressing. It's sooo good.