Losing weight rapidly...

Options
Okay, so here is my question. I've been losing about 5-6 pounds a week for the last 3 weeks. I don't work out, so this is all from diet alone.

I don't go crazy low on my diet, I normally eat my goal of 1500 calories a day, and tend to go way over on sodium...thanks to my love of powerade and frozen dinners.

I have been hesitant to log my weight loss, because I thought it was just water loss. But it's been 3 weeks and is still just going down quickly.

I'm not exactly complaining, just wondering if I should brace myself for an upcoming gain.

Stats on me:
SW: 345
CW: 256 (as of today, not logged)

Been dieting for almost 2 years, normally see 2-4 pounds a month in loss. Have not made any real changes to diet, but started logging calories on MFP instead of manually for increased ease a couple months ago.

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Congrats.... Your doing a wonderful job! The closer you get to your goal the harder it is to lose.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see a high numbers for the first few weeks, in particular for those are are 300ish. But, you said you haven't made any changes to your diet, and you don't workout ... so I'm a bit puzzled by that.

In general if you change your eating habits, lets say you are normally consuming 4000 calories a day and then you drop down to 1500 .. then this would make sense even without working out.

Are you taking any diet pills?
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Good on you for taking action to improve your health.

However, I would be worried about so much weight loss, especially when it is different to your past experiences. I would strongly encourage you to see your doctor to rule out any underlying issues such as diabetes. Then you will be able to concentrate on your healthy weight loss without any concerns.

Best of luck
  • laurelkathleen
    Options
    Great job!:smile:
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see a high numbers for the first few weeks, in particular for those are are 300ish. But, you said you haven't made any changes to your diet, and you don't workout ... so I'm a bit puzzled by that.

In general if you change your eating habits, lets say you are normally consuming 4000 calories a day and then you drop down to 1500 .. then this would make sense even without working out.

Are you taking any diet pills?

Well, I never had any high numbers...so maybe mine just came late?? LOL

On bad days I've eaten as high as 2800 calories in the last year...I don't real care to look farther back. And I'm not on any diet pills, nor have I ever been.

Thanks for the thoughts...guess I'll just take this for what it is! yay!
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    This is just a guess, but maybe because you are entering your calories and not manually adding them, you've cut some sugars out of your diet. I had a friend that lost 11lbs in one week, when she quit drinking Dr. Peppers and started drinking water. By being aware of what you are really eating you might have eliminated some bad eating habits. But it could also be a cause for concern, so if it continues a Dr. visit would be a good idea. Weight lose is great, when it is happening in a healthy way, but when you can't really say that you've made changes there could be an underlying health issue.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    dont want to scare you, but maybe you should visit your doctor. sometime rapid weight loss with no change to your habits or daily functions can be sometime not good. if u just starting eating differently like more veggies or cut something out or are drinking more water??
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts. To be honest, my diet hasn't changed, and I'll be the first to admit to eating my fair share of sugars and sodium. I have a hectic work/school life so I focus on convenient low cal instead of clean eating.

I think I will go talk to a doctor about this, as much as I love seeing the scale go down...it's normally better to have done something to deserve it.

I was a borderline diabetic when I started this, so as much as I had hoped to avoid the big D, it is a concern of mine.

Once again thanks for all the opinions!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts. To be honest, my diet hasn't changed, and I'll be the first to admit to eating my fair share of sugars and sodium. I have a hectic work/school life so I focus on convenient low cal instead of clean eating.

I think I will go talk to a doctor about this, as much as I love seeing the scale go down...it's normally better to have done something to deserve it.

I was a borderline diabetic when I started this, so as much as I had hoped to avoid the big D, it is a concern of mine.

Once again thanks for all the opinions!

Im in the same boat as you - but I am under an Endocrinologist's care. With the exception of "TOM" giving me a 1# gain, I have lost consistently... In five weeks time, I have dropped 13.4 pounds and I ran it through the Endo just to be sure. Im on quite a few medications, supplements on top of 1600cal/day, 120g Carbs/day - and the Endo said "not to worry - if you notice any changes, just give me a call"... I know that if this weight loss keeps going down at this rate, some of my meds will reduced, and then ultimately removed!

Definitely have a chat with your doctor - you may not even require an appointment, but they will let you know if its advised to go in and be seen....

8-)
  • Lamemind
    Lamemind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a healthcare professional, I would advise anyone losing more then 10 lbs in one month to be evaluated by a MD. Even if you had changed your dieting patterns, its not okay to allow that kind of weight loss to go unchecked. There are some things your doctor must rule out before you can continue with your diet and/or lifestyle.

You aren't quiet there, but its pretty close, and it seems like it was unexpected weight loss, so I would still see a doctor in your case.