jogging

Options
I want to start jogging, but i've never done it before for exercise. What should i know? And when should i jog morning afternoon evening?

Replies

• mariastack
    Options
    Jog when its coolest... Make sure to take it easy on your self at the start, you dont want to get shin splints, ensure u stretch before and after. And good running shoes are a must :D

Good luck! hope you love it as much as i do!
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    please explain shin splints .. i think i know what this is but Im not sure thanks
  • mariastack
    Options
    Sure! its just pain along your shins... but it can be VERY painful, and really mess up weight loss as most of us rely on cardio for the big losses. Its just something you have to be aware of. Its usually from doing too high impact stuff when your not ready!
  • melrae21
    Options
    I love jogging. I took it up just over a year ago. Weight seems to drop off me when I jog as well - bonus!

At first, just alternate between jogging and walking until you feel comfortable enought to jog for the whole time. Definitely invest in some decent shoes, I find listening to music motivating and it helps keep you at a steady pace especially if you're listening to mixes that are made to run to.

The time of day really depends on when you like exercising. I find running in the early evening best because I have more energy from fuelling up throughout the day. In the morning, I find I just can't run as far or a fast because I haven't eaten anything all night. If you are going to eat before you run, try to eat something light but wait at least 30 - 45 minutes before heading out because you might find you get a stich or cramp in your stomach.

I find stretching most important after the run, before not so much. Also, investing in some compression wear (like Skins) help with reducing muscle soreness as well.

I hope that helps!
  • Dangerously15
    Options
    Thanks!! :)