Insomnia, Diet, and Excercise.

Options
:yawn: So I have insomnia.... And I know sleeping is important when dieting and working out. But some days I don't sleep at all and some days I only sleep 2 to 5 hours. I just keep on going. Maybe once a week I sleep 6 to 8. How is this affecting my progress and does anyone else have this problem? :yawn:

Replies

• LisaFry11
    Options
    I have this issue as well, but pretty severe so I take medications. Something natural that you can get over the counter is whats called melatonin. You can find it in among the vitamins section at any convenience store. If this is something that you just developed it may only last a couple weeks... but if it persists I would go see a doctor because sleep is VERY important. It could definitely effect your progress with weight loss, as well as your overall health.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at getting into a good sleeping pattern I can lie awake for 4 hours each night trying to nod off.
    I really sympathise with you. Its not great especially when Im on a 12.5 hr shift the next day.
    Its either that or I fall asleep and wake up at 4am and cant go back to sleep. I have kind of resigned myself to the fact this is what my body does now. I get really tired sometimes. I also do night shifts that send my sleep even worse off track.

I just dont think I need as much sleep as I think but it doesnt help that my body is screaming out for carbs then to fuel me through the day x
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I think a large part of the reason I struggle with my weight is because I have severe insomnia. I have struggled with sleep problems my whole life, and melatonin, sleeping pills, etc etc do not work for me. I just soldier on. I wish that I slept better, but I do not and there doesn't seem to be anything that helps me, and so far I seem to function okay so if my insomnia continues, hopefully my functioning will continue too...but I do think it hinders weight loss :(
  • kvolkman01
    Options
    I as well work nights and have for 15 yrs. I took the last 5 months off and tried all kinds of ways to change my sleeping habits. Being a single mom only makes it worse because when I start to get tired its almost time to get the kids up for school. So I just stay awake. At that point its day time and I want to get things done because i spent the last 8 hours just sitting around the house. Its a cycle I cant seem to break. Ive tried meds and I work out like crazy but it just doesnt wear me down. Im running 3 to 5 miles a day plus weight training and now work too. Im a bartender so active work. Its just frustrating. I hope someday it changes.
  • jesc1234
    jesc1234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You may have something called shift work sleep disorder, bright light treatments are said to work best. Look up shift work sleep disorder then check out www.verilux.com. They have sleep/wake therapy lights, they are pricey, but they can really make a difference for people with circadian rhythm disorders.
  • kvolkman01
    Options
    Wow that makes alot of sense!!! Thanks for the info.
  • jesc1234
    jesc1234 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sleep disorders are often misdiagnosed as insomnia, which can be sooo frustrating for those who have them (especially when you have tried melatonin, prescriptions, relaxation techniques, and pretty much everything in the book). Here's hoping you can get a good nights sleep.
  • MusicKeepsMeSane
    Options
    The same thing happens to me! I always have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I think the more hours I'm awake the more my body wants food to keep it going which just seems to make it that much harder to lose weight. I take medication to help me relax but it doesn't always work. Getting less sleep for me also means I have less energy to exercise which never seems to do me any good. What I try to do before bed is just lay down with a boring book that will make me want to sleep instead. It works on occasion, other times, not so much. If you figure out a good way to get more sleep let me know! :)
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't have insomnia, but my sleep pattern is completely out of whack. Three nights a week I work 9pm-9am, and the other 4 days a week I wake up at 4:30am to try to get a walk in before the kids wake up, and then I'm up with them all day and go to bed early. I definitely don't get more than a couple hours of sleep on the weekends because of work and the kids, and during the week I'm on the complete opposite schedule. It definitely sabotages the diet! I can almost hear my body yelling "What the heck?!", but there's not much I can do to fix that. Just gotta do my best and accept the setbacks that lack of sleep and an irregular sleep schedule throw at me. Hang in there!