Student with Stress..

Options
asdfasdfasdf.
Shame on me.
I went two weeks straight without going to the gym even once.
Never ever ever again. D<

So I just went back to the gym today, and I couldn't keep up with what I did previously before my two week break. Ridiculous. Thankfully my weight didn't rise, but it's not any lower either..

School would be the culprit here (and sure. My fault too. ;__;).
It might as well be the equivalent to a 24/7 desk job right now. Sedentary lifestyle and lots of stress. I graduate in a month. This also means there may be a huge lack of exercise during the month of april while I cram years worth of information.
And with stress comes the need to eat..
And when you're doing nothing but sitting at desk reading and rereading information, it seems like the best time to down a chocolate.. or two.
or three,
while studying.

Are there any suggestions to stop this? D: Or quick little exercises that are time efficient?

Replies

• muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    asdfasdfasdf.
    Shame on me.
    I went two weeks straight without going to the gym even once.
    Never ever ever again. D<

So I just went back to the gym today, and I couldn't keep up with what I did previously before my two week break. Ridiculous. Thankfully my weight didn't rise, but it's not any lower either..

School would be the culprit here (and sure. My fault too. ;__;).
    It might as well be the equivalent to a 24/7 desk job right now. Sedentary lifestyle and lots of stress. I graduate in a month. This also means there may be a huge lack of exercise during the month of april while I cram years worth of information.
    And with stress comes the need to eat..
    And when you're doing nothing but sitting at desk reading and rereading information, it seems like the best time to down a chocolate.. or two.
    or three,
    while studying.

Are there any suggestions to stop this? D: Or quick little exercises that are time efficient?
  • ness13hill
    ness13hill Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't really have any input, but I would like to hear what people have to say about this too. I work more than 40 hours a week + School...I find it really hard to fit everything in and exercise is normally what does first. :frown:
  • muimuimui
    Options
    : ) I knew I wasn't the only one. But I haven't seen any posts on this issue.
    Lots of posts involving stress in itself. But it seems the best cure addressed in those threads is to exercise more.
    Student+work = not really much time to exercise more, or exercise at all;;;

Any other students found a way to get around this?
  • doolz84
    doolz84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there students, As someone who spent about 14 hours a day doing school stuff (both academic and cocurricular) it was really no surprise when in my senior year, i had gained 20 pounds (and on a 5'3" frame, i looked like a butterball). in this day and age, everyone knows what is a healthy food choice and what isn't. so since exercise doesn't seem to fit into your schedule at the time (and p.s, stop putting yourself down for not getting to the gym--you're getting an education and that's a great accomplishment), you need to cut your portions and make smarter choices with your food. fruit, chicken, salad, cereal in the morning (better be eating breakfast lady!!). drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated and get rid of those toxins. and stress has a major impact on our bodies, you can't avoid certain stresses, but keep a positive attitude. everyone needs a kick in the *kitten* every now and then, and only you can do it :) good luck and don't give up
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just passing on some advice that my trainer has given me regarding this. Everyone has time not necessarily for the gym but to fit some excercise in. You have to take a break at some point, do some pushups and sit ups. A great cardio workout is jump roping. Take 10 minutes for a run and really push yourself.

I haven't really tried any of these yet, but that is just what my trainer has told me. Hope it helps and good luck on finals.:flowerforyou:
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    Im a stressed student so your not alone!

I make an effort to workout as much as possible. If this means three times a week that is fine (i usually go 5 or 6 times)

But i barely gone the last two weeks too! Its so hard to get motivation. But some small things that I found help are taking the stairs, instead of watching tv go for a walk, and study in the library because you can't eat there :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm about to graduate from college. :noway: I can't believe it's almost over!

Anyway, this week I have 2 exams, a quiz, my HUGE capstone research project that's required for me to graduate and is actually an experiment, plus I work (luckily only 15 hours, but usually I'm at about 20-22). In the past I've worked two jobs while doing school full time. It sucked. But I've always trained at least 3 days per week.

The key is making it a normal part of your day, just like eating and doing homework. You can fit 30 minutes, even if it's really squished in there, 3 times per week. It only gets worse once you graduate high school, so picking up the habit now is really important. Write it in your planner and just do it. Sometimes you might have to write out your day hour-by-hour, and that's okay too.
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    Well I work a full time 40 hour job, I am taking 5 college classes, and I have a 2 year old at home. At least 3-4 days a week I wake up at 5:30 and go to the gym for an hour. On my off days or lazy days I wake up a little later and just go for a short jog before I get ready for work.
  • shannon128
    Options
    Blahhhh college.

I work full time and also go to school full time so I understand! I had a bunch of exams this week and skipped out on the gym too so I definately get how hard and frustrating it can be to try to balance everything.

I'll take my notes to with me to the gym and study on the treadmill while I walk at an incline. Or, I do intervals and study while I walk and then mentally review the material while I run. It is a good pick me up after sitting in the library for hours and a good way to get in a workout in while not missing out on any study-time.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just graduated so I remember how you feel! What i started to do what have the chocolates and special treats hidden away in my room and have healthy treats out while i was studying so that i would munch on that instead... try having an apple around or a protein bar :D Also I am a firm believer in the fact that if you took at 30 minute break to go for a run or a walk or to go to the gym your studying would be MUCH more productive the rest of the day. It gives you energy, wakes you up and makes you feel good about yourself!
  • muimuimui
    Options
    so picking up the habit now is really important.

Yea! It's why I joined mfp actually. Learning how to balance life : P

As for the waking up early plan.
    ._. 5:30 is the time I wake up regularly to get to school on time;;
    But I can see the benefits of waking up a little earlier to exercise

I'm lucky at the moment I'll have to admit. My boss opened a new restaurant and so when it officially opens I'm starting there. I've already been replaced at my old place. But they've run into some problems, and I haven't worked now in at least a month.
    So it's one less thing I have to think about at the moment..
    Although there is a lack of money...

Anyways, thank you everyone for the great suggestions! Time to try them out~
    Good luck to other students as well!