How to boost iron intake?

Options
Just started tracking my iron... I've never been anaemic except after pregnancy but notice that it is always well below my daily allowance. I'd like to boost it naturally... any food ideas ?? We eat lean beef at least twice a week and probably chicken twice a week. Oh and I'm not really a cereal person as I'm not a morning person! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of mine through oatmeal, tofu, nuts, and dried apricots. Many leafy greens have a decent amount. Chocolate is also a good source, though you don't want to be eating too much of that. I also supplement with blackstrap molasses (which supplements my potassium, too).
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I like cream of wheat. One serving = half a days requirement.
  • limorg
    limorg Posts: 15
    Options
    chick-pea is very good! but you need to take it with vitamin C...
    take some cooked chick-peas, a bit of olive oil, a bit of garlic- put it in the blender, make it a dip and eat it with red pepper sticks!
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    take some cooked chick-peas, a bit of olive oil, a bit of garlic- put it in the blender, make it a dip and eat it with red pepper sticks!
    yum... basically home made hummus I guess. I might try that... today my iron is okay as we had pork stir fry for dinner but I don't really like pork so much lol!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

I suggest adding a few drops of lemon juice to this, too