Calories burned can't be accurate??

Options
It seems like you can earn back a lot more calories, for example, high impact aerobics (which I'd class as body attack at the gym?) and dance (which I would class as a zumba class?). It seems like a lot of calories burned to me. Does it for anyone else? xx

Replies

• schmorla
    schmorla Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the calories which are set in MFP. They are way over estimated.

Best thing to do it get a HRM.
  • rachy8572
    Options
    Do HRM's tell you the calories you have burned in a gym class? xx
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    Everything in MFP is an estimate. You never know exactly how many calories something is or isn't. Every piece of cake is not exactly the same, nor is every apple. It is designed to give you an idea.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    yes they can measure calories burnt doing anything.
  • Dani_Scott
    Options
    I don't have an HRM but some of my MFP friends do and I think if anything they log more calories burned since using them. I often log fewer calories burned just to be on the safe side if the seem really high (so log that I only did 45 mins instead of 60) or dont eat all of the calories back but I think generally they seem to fit quite well xx
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Everything in MFP is an estimate. You never know exactly how many calories something is or isn't. Every piece of cake is not exactly the same, nor is every apple. It is designed to give you an idea.

This!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the calories which are set in MFP. They are way over estimated.

Best thing to do it get a HRM.

Amen! the definitive and only answer. I am amazed at how many times this topic comes up, but yes, MFP is extremely generous and as others have said, only gives a very rough approximation. An HRM would give far greater accuracy for any sort of exercise.
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    I don't have an HRM but some of my MFP friends do and I think if anything they log more calories burned since using them. I often log fewer calories burned just to be on the safe side if the seem really high (so log that I only did 45 mins instead of 60) or dont eat all of the calories back but I think generally they seem to fit quite well xx

I agree!
  • Lomie10
    Options
    Do HRM's tell you the calories you have burned in a gym class? xx

Yes they do
  • Lomie10
    Options
    How can I log my calories, if I don't have a HRM??
    Do I just add the minutes or what??
    New to this