Need help with filling afternoon snack

Options
I have trimmed up my breakfast and lunch, those look good (I think) But i have a real problem with 4pm hunger. I leave work at 4pm and I am hungry, by the time I pick up my daughter from daycare and get home, its 6pm and I'm starving...then its usually another hour until dinner is finished. Now, I have tried eating an apple and a fiberone brownie, but its not enough, I am still absolutely starving while I am making dinner...I start eating random things in the kitchen... its really bad, Its where I mostly go over my calories for the day at that point...then I overeat the dinner because I feel like i'm starving. I just cannot get rid of the hunger at that time of day, my body wants to eat.

So...Does anyone have any suggestions for a filling (preferably portable) afternoon snack that will fill me or at least hold me over until dinner?

Replies

• nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I have the same issue. I think maybe trying to have your snack a little earlier than 4PM might help. That way you don't ever GET to that hungry point on your way to pick up your daughter.

As for what to snack on - usually a spoonful of peanut butter fills me up, haha. But if that sounds too weird, I'd also suggest greek yogurt (yum) or even some oatmeal. Almonds and other nuts are good, as they're packed with protein - BUT, if you're like me, a handful of nuts just doesn't mentally seem like enough to fill up on - it's more of an add on to another snack/meal type of thing. But hey, if you aren't as crazy as me, go ahead and eat a handful of nuts! ;P

Ultimately, high protein snacks are the way to go, as they're more filling than any other type... Good luck!!!!! :happy:
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Apples and cinnamon the calories are low and i noticed i'm not as hungry at dinner
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    try adding more food to your lunch then. right I'm eating a banana(110calories), greek vanilla yogurt(120calories) and dark chocolate blue diamond almonds (160calories or 100 for the calorie pack), it's very filling, and you want variety in the meal you are eating i.e. that's fruit, dairy, nuts, and I'll drink some water and call it done. can be a good snack too
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein point and often I have nuts but if you are already hungry it might not be enough. If you drink milk perhaps a milky tea or smoothie or something might help? I would have said soup (always makes me feel super full) but that's not really portable.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'd try a handful of nuts, or some sunflower seeds. Make yourself a little 'snack mix' with peanuts, sunflower seeds, and some little pieces of dark chocolate. Full of good stuff for ya and will more than likely keep you feeling full until you can have your dinner. Are you drinking enough water?
  • rikma
    rikma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Yogurt and fruit, usually a Banana. What time do you have lunch though?
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd try a handful of nuts, or some sunflower seeds. Make yourself a little 'snack mix' with peanuts, sunflower seeds, and some little pieces of dark chocolate. Full of good stuff for ya and will more than likely keep you feeling full until you can have your dinner. Are you drinking enough water?

MMM, that snack mix sounds delish!! I'm trying this one out, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • hmiller8156
    Options
    Trail mix!

Make yourself some trail mix with healthy nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans, even seeds, like pumpkin and sunflower (stay away from peanuts) as some dry fruit like Rasins, yogurt covered, mango, bananas, pineapple(try to get freeze dried no added sugars)

a half a cup of this is about 180 calories it has healthy fats and carbs and protein

If you dont want to make it they have the day break packets that are awesome as well!

Hope this helps, I make this for my husband, he is a fire fighter EMS and he eats it if he is out on a call when it is time for a meal, plus it is easy to keep on the engine or medic and he can eat it while driving!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    A boiled egg. Eat it before your stomach starts eating itself in hunger. Keep it in the fridge at work, eat it on the way to daycare?
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    my afternoon snack is 16 wheat thins (130cals) and one Laughing cow wedge(35cals). it normally holds me over til i eat dinner.
  • dezedeze
    dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I see a few trips to Dunkin Donuts in there!! :tongue: There's also a lot of chocolate stuff, and your snacks tend to be very high carb which only adds to the hunger/eating cycle.

Not sure if you're a fan of dark chocolate or not (if not this next bit of advice won't help you), but what has worked for me is a handful of nuts and a square or two (but limit this to at least two) of dark 85% chocolate. I find it really helps my chocolate cravings and I can't really eat more than 1-2 squares because it's so rich. Greek yogurt is good too since it has the volume you may need. Another chocolate snack option would be Nutella on some whole grain bread or on an apple.

the other thing I'd do is to try to bring this snack with you and eat it at about 4 or so. That way you're not past the point of no return by 6pm with the snacking.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you have to play with at that time?

How about making a wrap? Make some Chicken or Egg salad - and put it on a wrap to take with you. I tend to "bulk up" my chicken/egg salads by adding lots of veggies. I add a ton of celery, some finely chopped carrots, even zucchini sometimes. I like to add apple to my chicken salad as well.

Sweet Potato Chips are also filling. Slice your sweet potato very thin and toss with a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with Chili Powder and bake at 350 until crisp. Let cool, stick em in a baggie and it's a low cal/high fiber snack.

While you're cooking dinner, you need to have a premade snack available. How about carrots and hummus? Celery and low fat cream cheese? Veggies and low fat ranch?

My guess is that your blood sugar is crashing about that time and you're so far in the hole that you can't climb out. The other thing is... what are you generally eating for lunch? Is it something with many textures? OR are you eating something with one constant texture?
  • az82
    az82 Posts: 152
    Options
    I am a big fan of hummus and crackers and/or veggies - like carrots, celery, bell pepper, etc - for my afternoon snack. If you live anywhere near a Costco (and have a membership) you can get individual hummus servings for a great price - and it's portable. I also like the hundred calorie emerald almonds - but sometimes, that just doesn't feel like enough. I also like Nature Valley crunchy granola bars - my favorite are oat n' honey. If you like to cook, making your own oatmeal bars is pretty easy and they are really filling as well.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For me, a few nuts are not enough to satisfy me, and I don't want to go overboard with them since they are higher in cals, so I eat something low-cal with them to make it more filling, like an apple and almonds. Apple slices spread with peanut butter are also yummy.

I do this with my other snacks as well: usually a high protein snack with fruit or veggies.
    Protein ideas: hard boiled egg, cheese string, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, a few slices of deli turkey or black forest ham, etc
    + Fruit or veggies: apple, grapes, berries, plum, baby carrots, snap peas, celery sticks, colored pepper sticks, etc

Some combinations are really good together: cheese string + grapes (all you're missing is the red wine!), or ham + red pepper stick rollups, yogurt + berries, etc.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary. I notice that for the past couple of days you've had a small hot chocolate from DD's for 220 calories. My guess is that THAT is your major problem, It's causing "cravings" and blood sugar spikes and lulls. Now... I know you live in MA and DD is almost a MUST there... try getting a black coffee and keeping truvia/cream (and maybe sugar free hot cocoa) at work to put in it. I love to add sugar free hot cocoa to my coffee to make it "mocha". Or... you could just save yourself some money (and calories) and avoid DD's altogether!
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Everyone has posted such great ideas for you :) I would definetly support eating earlier then 4, just to try to avoid actually feeling so hungry and have that premade snack ready incase you feel like you can't make it through supper prep without eating something. I recently discovered Greek Yogurt. It is super tasting and way more filling then a normal yogurt. In the car, I sometimes measure out sunflower seeds (the kind in a shell still) and make sure that I have a plastic baggie to put the shells in (I am not so good at spitting out the window) so that I can eat them while driving. I like how they take a while to eat, helps my stomach have time to feel full. I sometimes feel like I need a little treat and have a hot chocolate to satisfy that feeling. I make a Green Mountain one at home for 60 cal (way better then buying one). There are an assortment of different brands/kinds that are much lower in calories. May try one of those & have an extra piece of fruit or something like that.

Good Luck !
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    bigger lunch is an idea. fruits and veggies are always a good idea too. i like to do an apple and a laughing cow cheese wedge. or maybe a 100 calorie baggie of popcorn. or a small side salad? just a few thoughts.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm handling the afternoon munchies much better now that I switched to a higher protein diet. I changed my macros lightly (I am NOT low-carbing) and I found that a high-protein snack would fill me much better than my usual fruit+nuts at 3 pm. My favorite right now is 0% Greek yogurt with a handful of berries.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone :) I have tried fruits before but they just make me feel hungrier. As for the coffee, I car pool to work with my mom and she gets a extra large of whatever she feels like that day and I drink about a quarter of it on the way to work in the morning. I eat breakfast at about 5:30am and lunch around 11-11:30am (usually a turkey sandwich with a tomato and lettuce salad with either feta or mozzarella cheese). I think I need more protein based...I have tried a slice of cheese and deli meat, I have tried trail mix before, and regular yogurt (how does it compare to greek yogurt in taste? I have never had it before) right now I have been having an apple and fiberone brownie, also not working.

None of those keep me full enough. I agree, my blood sugar is dropping at that point in the day. I also have trouble getting a long enough break at the end of the day to eat something at work, so I need something portable, it takes me a couple hours to get home. Its not a recent thing, its something I have been struggling with for many years, ever since I can remember, it always feels like I want to eat a meal at 4pm but then when I do I blow my cals for the day.

As for the humus at cosco, I have a bjs membership, do they have it there? what section is it in?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite afternoon snacks that will keep me going through Zumba after work:

Apple and hummus
    Kashi TLC granola bar and either a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit
    Veggie sticks and peanut butter
    dry roasted edamame and fruit