Lifting Etiquette - Help!

Options
I recently started lifting at my gym, and I'm unsure what the etiquette is for the weight bench. I usually do 6 or 7 different strengthening exercises, and 3 or 4 usually require the bench. I did my first two sets fine today, but when I went to do my third set, someone was on each of the benches, so I went on to the next move - but when I went back to see if the bench was open, both people had left either a towel or their notebook on the bench while they were off doing a different exercise. I moved around my exercises some more, but they pretty much kept their stuff there the whole rest of the time I was there - going back and forth between the bench and other machines. I know it's not polite to throw their stuff across the room like I wanted to, but I also didn't want to go seek them out at their other exercise and ask if I could move their stuff. Is it okay for me to just gently place whatever they have on the bench to the side while I do my 60 second exercise? or is this considered rude?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    it was rude for them to leave their stuff there. it's ok for you to move it.
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No, it was rude of them to leave their stuff there. And also, as a guy, even if i was a crazy meat head I think if a girl came up to me and asked if they could use the bench for a little bit if I wasn't using it, I would get my stuff off quickly for them to use it. Heck, i might even get off it in the middle of a set if she was cute enough ha ha.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A towel on the bench typically means they are working there and in most cases it is NOT OK to move it. Are you sure that they were off doing different exercises or were they maybe standing up watching the clock, or getting a drink of water or supersetting nearby. Sometimes you just have to move on in your workout and circle back when the bench/machine is open. If you want to use an occupied bench, find the person on it and ask in you can work in, that is proper gym etiquette.
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would say you could move it or at least walk up to the bench and look around to see if someone notices you wanted to use it. If no one comes to collect the items, you have every right to move it off to the side for the moment and put it back when you are finished.
    It is there for everyone to use and people should not be able to hinder its use by leaving things on them.

Thats is a big issue with gym etiquette that makes me mad as well. I use the machines at my gym and I also wipe them down with the cleaning solution that is provided for all guests to use after sweating all over the equipment. I also watch how some people go from machine to machine and DON'T clean them after they finish.

It is disgusting to think how often it happens, people must think others want to sit in someone else's sweat YUK. So now I try to clean it before AND after I use the machines. Makes me look like a huge Germ-a-phobe but hey, I don't want to get sick from something that should be making me healthy.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Personally I would have moved the stuff and told the guys that you were working in on that bench too... especially if it not something that involves loading or unloading weights.

I struggle with this a lot at my gym if I go after work. My workouts do a lot of paired exercises like standing row and bench press. I have no problem working in with people but it does suck to have to reload the weights after each set.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    No, it was rude of them to leave their stuff there. And also, as a guy, even if i was a crazy meat head I think if a girl came up to me and asked if they could use the bench for a little bit if I wasn't using it, I would get my stuff off quickly for them to use it. Heck, i might even get off it in the middle of a set if she was cute enough ha ha.

hahaha - good to know - maybe I will try and use my girl powers a little more :)
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes, it was bad gym etiquette on their part to "reserve" a bench like that. Even if they were actually using the bench, simply sitting on it for a few minutes between sets is also not on, but at least in that scenario you can ask to work in. If you could see them elsewhere in the gym, you should have waited until they'd finished what they were doing and then asked if you could work in on the bench.

I admit, even though they were in the wrong by leaving their stuff there, I would feel uncomfortable just moving it without asking first.
  • JamesBurkes
    Options
    Also, in my gym people sometimes do this but they leave phones or ipods lying around. I wouldn't particularly want to touch anything like that for fear of being accused of damaging it or trying to steal it.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A towel on the bench typically means they are working there and in most cases it is NOT OK to move it. Are you sure that they were off doing different exercises or were they maybe standing up watching the clock, or getting a drink of water or supersetting nearby. Sometimes you just have to move on in your workout and circle back when the bench/machine is open. If you want to use an occupied bench, find the person on it and ask in you can work in, that is proper gym etiquette.

They definitely weren't watching the clock, or getting a drink, and if they were supersetting - they were doing it wrong (way too slow and leisurely). I'm pretty sure they just didn't want to have anyone else use it briefly because they knew they were going to circle back at some point. I'm thinking you are probably a very considerate person and are assuming that other people are like you and wouldn't hog a bench if they didn't have a reason. Unfortunately, I think they may have just been hogs. That being said, they are still human beings and deserve the benefit of the doubt, so tomorrow, I will try to just politely ask if I can use the bench for my sets real quick while they aren't working there. THEN I'll throw their stuff across the room. (just kidding :)
  • djdelano
    Options
    Hi,

The previous post has it exactly correct, the etiquette is a simple verbal ask "can I work in on this bench"

As you stated it appears there is sufficient time between their sets for you to get in there.

I used to work in a very small gym where equipment was limited, this was common practice, improved gym communication, and also allowed for us to "spot" for each other which improves everyone's workouts.

If the persons say no, and consistently leave the bench unused for minutes at a time, it's time to get more forceful.

-D
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    the etiquette is a simple verbal ask "can I work in on this bench"

Usually you start saying that... and end up chatting everyday! Its almost a pick up line! :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "Hey, *smile* can I work in?" I don't usually have this issue with a bench, but almost always with the tower. It really was poor etiquette for them to mark their territory like that if they are moving around the gym, there's always an opportunity to work in around someone (unless you're dealing with lifting partners alternating exercises, but even then they usually have a rest between sets).
  • JamesBurkes
    Options
    Also, in my gym people sometimes do this but they leave phones or ipods lying around. I wouldn't particularly want to touch anything like that for fear of being accused of damaging it or trying to steal it.

Then again, I look shifty. You probably don't.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While leaving thier stuff thier & walking away probably isn't the best ettiquette, a simple "mind if I work in?" solves most everything at a gym.