Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Breakfast ideas?

I am always hungry when I get up, and since morning is not my favorite time of day, I tend to grab whatever is easy. Toast, muffins, frozen waffles.

I am trying to lower my carb intake, especially in the morning.

Ideas? What can I make ahead of time so I can grab when I get up, without too much prep?

Thanks,
Sheri

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Having a supply of cold meats, cheese, boiled eggs and smoked fish in helps, with a few bits of tomato or cucumber on the side. Works for me.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    bump, im always stuck for breakfast!
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Pre-wash some fruit and put it in small containers that are easy to grab, maybe pre-mix a protein shake (preferrably with milk), and a fiber-one bar (or some other high fiber food). The protein and fiber will help you stay full throughout the morning and reduce snacking.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Try mixing yourself up an omelette the night before, just make sure you have it in an airtight container, that way all you have to do is pour it in the pan to cook it. You can load it up with veggies and some meat.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    You could have boiled eggs, already cooked boneless/skinless chicken breast, a can of tuna, nuts, raw veggies (rememeber, breakfast doesn't have to be cereal and juice).
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    I love to have a couple of scrambled eggs. Sometimes throw some cheese in. cover with hot sauce.

Easy, high protein, low carbs

Takes as long as a bowl of cereal.
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 351 Member
    Try 100% wheat bread I changed everything to wheat and lowered my carbs without trying. Eggo has wheat waffles too.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    You can pre-make egg whites, enough to do you for a week if you want. Just crack the desires amount of whites (I do 5-6) and fry them in a heated non stick pan that has had oil rubbed on it's surface with a paper towel. Let them cool down, wrap them and put them in the fridge. Pull out an "egg disc" when you're ready to eat pop it in the microwave to reaheat and there you go :)
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 410 Member
    I boil some eggs (enough for three days) and when I get up in the morning I toast an english muffin, pour a glass of milk and grab a couple of strawberries or another piece of fruit. I also make oatmeal at night with fat free milk, sometimes I add an apple when I am cooking it or I sweeten it with honey and add a bit of cinnamon, then microwave it the next morning. Both breakfast are a great kickstart to the day and keep me satisfied till my morning snack. I also have a friend that makes a smoothie with fruit, yoghurt and protein powder. It is o.k to reduce carbs but don't try to eliminate them you need carbs and protein to sustain you throught the day.:smile:
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    When i was at uni i used to make porridge in a wide necked flask overnight. I think you heated the liquid and added it to the oats in the flask and by morning it was done and ready to grab as you went out the door.
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Well i think cereal is a pretty quick and easy, but then again most days i dont even have time for that. Im 100% not a morning person, most the time i put something in my bag and eat it wen i get to work. i usually have yoghurt, particularily the yoplait forme no fat yoghurt. travels ok, low in calories, quick and easy. i usually add a big apple too. but i use to have up and gos they were a great fast breaky.Fruit bars are good too like k-time bars, muesli and yoghurt combos r good too, bannanas, those little nut snack packs you can get ...

not sure if they'll suit you but thats the sorta thing i go for
  • I eat oatmeal almost every morning I buy quaker instant and it takes me about 2 minutes to fix it. They have low sugar ones and none of them are high calorie!!! Cereal is another option, lots of good cereals on the market and that is quick also!!!!
  • lower carbs is a good Idea but pick a time of day, my husband doesnt have any carbs at lunch - dinner, I dont have any carbs starting at 4pm.

If you are lowing carbs, you need protein and fat,

I would do Whole eggs and egg whites, u need 24g of protein in this 1 whole egg has 5g of fat at 6g of protein and egg white has 3g of protein no fat.

Veggies, so make an omlete.....

Like i said I would want carbs in the am, so I would eat a bowl of oat meal. you will burn off these carbs through out the day you need it!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Breakfast is my favorite. Here's a few ideas:

1. Fresh fruit, non-fat plain, Greek yogurt and a 1/4 cup of granola.
    2. Low carb english muffin toasted, top with 2 tbs cottage cheese, a swirl of honey, sprinkle of cinnamon and top with a few banana slices. I know this one sounds weird but it is really yummy. One of my favorites.
    3. Low carb english muffin toasted. 1/4 cup egg beaters.
    4. 1/2 cup cottage cheese, sliced fresh fruit, 2 tbs chopped walnuts.
    5. egg beaters, chopped onion, slice of smoked turkey heated, 1/2 slice cheese. Make an omelet.
  • SheriG9
    SheriG9 Posts: 62
    Thanks for the great ideas, guys. I am not cutting carbs altogether, but I am really carb heavy right now, and that needs to change. For this morning, I had a lowfat yogurt, and then when I was more awake, I had 3/4 cup Fiber One cereal with about 1/3 cup of skim milk.

I am still hungry, so I am drinking water in hopes it will go away.

I like the boiled egg, and scrambled egg/omelet ideas. Trying to get away from so much prepackaged/processed foods.

Sheri
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    I have two favorites. During the week I toast a whole wheat english muffin with cream cheese, smoked salmon, and a little dill. I make it into a sandwich and take it in the car with me. I often grab a banana too. Or I throw peanut butter on the english muffin.

On weekend I do scrambled eggs (whole eggs, I don't believe in just egg whites) with basil and feta cheese. A slice of whole grain toast and a couple of slices of avocado and fruit on the side.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    eggs and bacon if you can afford the fat....i eat oatmeal most days, and i also limit my carbs....i just dont eat many carbs the rest of the day...the oatmeal lasts a long time for me..
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Pre-wash some fruit and put it in small containers that are easy to grab, maybe pre-mix a protein shake (preferrably with milk), and a fiber-one bar (or some other high fiber food). The protein and fiber will help you stay full throughout the morning and reduce snacking.

the carbs in that is as much as 2 servings of oatmeal.
  • My friend is a nutritionist and fitness instructor and she said that microwaving eggs is just as healthy and tastes almost as good as over the stove. Crack an egg, nuke it, put it on one wholegrain piece of bread. Don't nix too many carbs- your body needs them :)