should i work out twice a day?

Options
i am wanting to loose weight fast .. I wonder if its okay to work out twice a day or is that too much .. i would be doingtwo 25 min work out on tread mill , elliptical and stationary bike (once in the early afternoon and once in the evening) or is it better to do one a day..

Replies

• Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do whatever is most convenient to you. If you plan to workout twice a day, be sure you are eating enough to accommodate the calories burned. I know plenty of people who do 'two a days' because that is what works best with their schedule..!
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do whatever is most convenient to you. If you plan to workout twice a day, be sure you are eating enough to accommodate the calories burned. I know plenty of people who do 'two a days' because that is what works best with their schedule..!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day sometimes multiple days in a week for longer than 25 minutes. Just don't overdo yourself, it's been working for me!
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    You can do two workouts, just be careful that you don't wear yourself out!! Don't go too hard too fast :)
  • xinahay123
    Options
    2 a day is great! If you want to speed along the process, be sure to add some weight training as well. Good luck!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    25 min twice a day is like 50 min total, so that's not really a lot of stress on the body.

i'd say do whatever you want!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I workout whenever I can! Sometimes that is 4x in one day (like weekends = walk with hubby, ride bike with son, do workout video, and then swim at the Y). Sometimes once a day, often during the week. And sometimes not at all (since I'm a working professional with three boys).

All movement and efforts are GREAT! Try different things.
  • tschmelzer
    Options
    I think that is totally fine if your body can handle it. I have days where I take a cycle class for an hour and then lift weights for an hour. My body can handle that without getting too fatigued and I am not dead sore the next day. Therefore, if you have the energy and can still walk the next day go for it!!! Your body will love the extra challenge.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your rest days. You should rest your body after 3 days of working out. This helps heal your muscles and regulate your central nervous system. Very, very important.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think cardio is fine, but I would put a day in between strength training on a single muscle group. You could probably alternate one day do a set of muscle groups and the next day, different groups. Just a suggestion. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I do two a days everyday. Cardio for about 50-60 mins in the morning, then I lift in the afternoon and another 20 minutes of light cardio or Tabata depending on the day.
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your rest days. You should rest your body after 3 days of working out. This helps heal your muscles and regulate your central nervous system. Very, very important.

Really? I have never heard of this anywhere even on MFP. When I had a PT I asked about that and it was never mentioned.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    sure, if you are up to it, and keep yourself fueled, why not?

I work out twice in one day 3 or 4 days a week.
  • DdoubleU77
    Options
    If you workout twice a day...time them appropriately. Don't overdo it. If you are primarily doing it for weight loss...shouldn't be too bad.

Redundant for weight/strength training though since muscles repair on rest time.
  • CMHug
    CMHug Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you already been regularly exercising, or are you just jumping in? If you have not been exercising regularly previously, take it easy at first because you don't want to risk injury or straining your muscles. Having to slow down or stop for injuries will set you back, so it's better to be safe than sorry, imho.

There were a couple suggestions to mix in strength training-maybe you could do one cardio workout and one strength training workout each day, which would be (in my opinion) the best of both worlds.

Whatever you do, listen to your body! Feed it and stretch it!

Good luck!
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Doctors are now recommending 60 minutes a day for ideal health, at least half of those minutes in a good sweat (cardio level not fat burn level).

The best caloric burn as far as what I have read interspurses the bursts of cardio in the middle of fat burn sessions. It has something to do physiologically with revving up your metabolism.

My best results have been mixing up kinds of exercise- bike, run, fast paced walk etc. mixed with planned rest days. This also gives muscle groups time to heal from stress. You use different muscles, for example, to walk than to run.

No matter what, do your absolute best to get proper sleep or it will work against all of your efforts.

Best to you!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day Monday - Friday 30-45am and 30-45pm, rest on Saturday and Sunday or just walk on the track simple stuff on weekend if I do it at all...I prefer to skip on weekends...
  • cdgliz
    cdgliz Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree, if your body can take it you should do it. I only work out once a day but it's for 60 minutes so go for it!
    Make sure you are getting protein so your body doesn't burn the muscle you are building.