venison recipies

Options
guy at work hunts. gave me almost two pounds of venison tenderloins. any one have any good recipies??

Replies

• mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've never prepared it myself, but its REALLY good in spaghetti! Venison jerky is really good, too.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    What a cool friend! He gave you some good stuff! Around here one of the most popular ways to cook it is in the crock pot. But with what you have, you can basically cook it however you would regular beef. Should be fine. I wouldnt "hide" it in anything....stuff is good! :)
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Sometimes I will marinate in italian dressing overnight and then grill - grill for a short time - they cook fast and will dry out.

I also mix up my own marinade - steak sauce, teriyaki sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, hot sauce - marinate overnight and then grill.

Now - for a bad for you - my favorite way to eat deer meat -- combine flour and seasoned salt - dip deer meat in egg, then in the flour mixture and fry til crispy on both sides - yum, yum!
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    Slow cooker with lots of veggies and some potatoes and whatever seasonings you want. Start it at about 7-8 in the morning on low all day. Thats what my hubby does :)
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    bump - love venison and I also have a hookup at work for it. But I usually either grill it or cook it in fattening way. Would love some new ideas.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

Now - for a bad for you - my favorite way to eat deer meat -- combine flour and seasoned salt - dip deer meat in egg, then in the flour mixture and fry til crispy on both sides - yum, yum!

I love deer meat every way, but this is definitely the best! I am definitely eating some this year on opening weekend.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Venison tenderloin (otherwise known as back straps) are the best part of the deer! I can't believe someone actually gave that part away!

All you want to do with this awesome cut of meat is grill or broil it to medium-rare. Too much longer and it will be tough, but if you can't stomach red meat, just cook until medium.

If it was from a big buck, chances are it might be a little gamier, in which case I would recommend marinating it in a cup of red wine, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and some herbs like rosemary and thyme as well as some garlic. Also want to make sure it's very clean. One deer hair on the meat and the flavor becomes super gamey.

You don't want to bury the flavor by making it into spaghetti or jerky...that's for the other cuts of meat! :D

Oh I'm jealous! Usually the guys don't even bring the tenderloin back from deer camp...just cook it up right at the cabin.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I like to marinade venison in red wine, maybe just a touch of olive oil...it's a very lean meat so you don't want it to dry out. Crock pot is a good idea with some veggies...carrots, celery, onions...garlic, I like to also add fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary...could even through in a bay leaf!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    My favorite way is jerky. I've had it done in the oven and in a smoker and they are both tasty. No recipe though, I use Google for that and tweek things to my liking.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Wild game is all we eat for red meat. I use it just like beef. Whatever you do, do not cover up the wonderful flavor with lots of sauces. :love:
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Treat it like veal, slice it about 1 inch think then soak it in milk. Take it to a board, cover it in plastic and flatten it out it should at least double in size. Run it though a egg bath, then breadcrumbs then into a pan with some olive oil. Just enough to not have it come over the meat. Flip and brown the other side. Slide it into a warm oven and continue cooking. Sorry not low-fat.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I like to marinade venison in red wine, maybe just a touch of olive oil...it's a very lean meat so you don't want it to dry out. Crock pot is a good idea with some veggies...carrots, celery, onions...garlic, I like to also add fresh herbs like thyme and rosemary...could even through in a bay leaf!

Okay, now you are making me hungry! I am butchering an elk and have a roast or two. It is snowing and the perfect day for a nice roast!:love:
  • czechsmate
    Options

p.s. love your profile pic! :laugh:
  • thumperj2u
    thumperj2u Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It makes fantastic chili....yum
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Bump- I am *making* my fiance get a deer when we go back to WV for Thanksgiving :happy:
  • czechsmate
    Options

Okay, now you are making me hungry! I am butchering an elk and have a roast or two. It is snowing and the perfect day for a nice roast!:love:

mmm....I've had elk once and it's my favorite wild meat so far!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    We literally LIVE on venison! Tenderloin is always made by cutting into bite size pieces, add every vegetable you love; mushrooms, onions, green peppers, red peppers, tomato, all diced. Throw in a fry pan with about 2 Tbls of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, season salt, worchestershire & soy sauce (to taste-we use maybe 1 - 2 Tbls) put over a med-low heat and cover. Stir occassionally, Once simmering the juices will cook out of the vegetables and keep the meat nice and moist and tender. Turn down to low heat.

Simmer about 1/2 hour.

Last night I actually added a can of chop suey vegetables and a few sliced potatoes with it - You can eat it over rice or bread or just eat it without anything else -it is filling and satisfying.

Enjoy your venison!!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My family's favorite way is chicken-fried, with taters & gravy. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's a special treat every once in a while.

My hubby just found a recipe where you marinate it in 2% milk overnight. Pour the milk off & 1 c apple cider vinegar to 1 c water & pour over the meat. Sprinkle some Lipton onion soup mix & salt & pepper on top. Cover with foil & cook in over on 250. Time will depend on size.

We just tried this with wild hog & it was awesome.

I can't believe someone gave the tenderloin away....We allocate ours to chicken-fried & to the butcher for Peppered Jerkey - then we hide it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

I can't believe someone gave the tenderloin away....We allocate ours to chicken-fried & to the butcher for Peppered Jerkey - then we hide it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing! The OP's coworker must really like him! lol!
  • czechsmate
    Options
    You don't want to bury the flavor by making it into spaghetti or jerky...that's for the other cuts of meat! :D

Agreed...:smile: