In the house exercises please??

Options
So, I'm crap with exercise but I keep seeing comments like food will only get you so far ect ect.. and it's bugging me!!

I KNOW I need to exercise so may aswell get on with it. I've got myself a mini goal in mind I want to try be 12 and a half stone by christmas day. Which is just a little over 2lb a week to get on with. All I do at the moment is walking and that can't really help much!

I'm living back at my mums for a while, my son broke my 30DS dvd by sitting on the dvd player about 2 weeks ago and so I've now sorted out her cross trainer and I'm gunna start using that today! How long for, any ideas?! Till it hurts or 10minutes and so on?

But I also want to do a little bit more.

So whats a good little work out? I'm only starting out so nothing too complicated!! Sit ups and that is fine, but how many/how often and how do you write it onto here in time?

Sorry for all the questions but any help is REALLY appricated!

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Download an app called Virtuagym if you have a smartphone.
    Great exercise routines you do with your own body weight and the app walks you thru them step by step in real time.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    beginner body weight routine. broken down by exercise and with video.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have a smartphone, & since you like Jillian Michaels, she has an app that has different circuits on there with pics and descriptions of every exercise...
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hmiller8156
    Options
    Cute little one in the picture,

I have a hard time excersising too, I run mainly, but I lifted before I got told I had to have reconstructed surgery. I hated not going to the gym, but I didnt like going without my husband so I would work out at home. you have 5 core body excersises that will help build long lean muscles

Squats
    Lunges
    Push ups
    Pull ups
    Sit ups

Take a deck of playing card with the face side down and take the tope one and throw
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    you don't need a dvd to go to town - just use the basics. do 60 or 90 second intervals of jumping jacks broken up by sets of crunches, pushups, squats and lunges. jog in place. do kicks and punches. jump rope with an invisible rope. play some of your favorite 'go-get-em' music and get moving!

here's a sample circuit:

warm up:

60 seconds of light jogging in place
    60 seconds of easy jumping jacks
    repeat
    light stretches

circuit:

60 seconds of quick jumping jacks
    20 crunches traditional
    90 seconds of quick jumping jacks
    20 crunches, bicycle
    60 seconds of quick jumping jacks

water break

90 seconds of jogging in place
    20 squats
    90 seconds of invisible jumprope
    20 lunges (10 per leg)
    90 seconds of jogging in place

water break

60 seconds of foward punches (stand in a wide squat through these)
    10 traditional or modified pushups
    90 seconds of alternating kicks
    15 traditional or modified pushups
    90 seconds of forward punches

water break

repeat circuit

cool down

keep it simple and basic and you can mix it up anyway you like to keep it interesting. you could keep a routine for a week or two, and then switch it up. even changing the order of the groups would give your body a little suprise. you can incorporate plank holds and leg lifts and squat/kicks and all sorts of stuff, and you won't need any equipment or dvd's or anything. best of luck to you!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I use Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Lbs" DVD's at home. There are several different ones that start from beginner and work on up. My favorite is "5 Fat Burning Miles"...... each mile is a 12 minute mile (5 mph walk) and it really gets your heart rate up. You can stand in front of the TV and walk walk walk..... it's not only walking, it's knee lifts, side steps, tap outs, and other variations. These DVD's work well for me because I have to be careful of my knee that I had surgery on and can't do high impact exercises. Try them out!
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, Nike Training club is a great app that you can use. It has a bunch of different routines and has a video of each move you they're easy to learn. Also, if you have Netflix, they actually have quite a few exercise videos on the instant play. They're not amazing, but they definitely are better than nothing.

Other than those, if I'm exercising in my house I do lunges, squats, push ups, jumping jacks, burpees, and crunches. Anything you can do to get your heart rate up will help you be healthier.
  • hmiller8156
    Options
    throw it face up on the floor, what do you get 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, J,K,Q(=25) A(=50) alternate the 5 exercises, untill the deck of cards is done. I was so worn out by half the deck the first time but start off slow

Good luck!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    How about a walk? Walking is terrific exercise!
    Get yourself a good pedometer. OMRON is my choice in pedometers. Cost around $15,
    Start out slow and increase your pace daily.
    Try to get in 10,000 steps a day.

Get that heart a pumpin'!
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Good luck!
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    There are plenty of workout and yoga videos online for free. I use the ones at hulu dot com.
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Youtube workout videos, Or DVR some shows on the Health Channels.
    Running up & Down the stairs Full Flights or ladder steps.
    Search the web for printouts of home workouts. They are all over the place
    =)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions!

Just wanted to chime in and say there's absolutely nothing wrong with walking! It's a great all over body workout, especially if you challenge yourself by going faster and/or farther on a regular basis (and pumping your arms of course). Plus you can always do intervals of running or faster walking to really kick it up a notch.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks everyone this is great, taking all ideas on board!

To stanstrise and hmiller, how would I log that afterwards?

And I walk with my son in his pushchair! Never go anywhere unless he's with me!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    exercicetv.tv has some good workouts for free!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    30DS is quite a good one. The DVD is pretty cheap to get a replacement from Amazon - or just do the workout without it. You don't need the dvd if you know the routines, just find your max intensity level.

For any cardio based routine, just find your maximum intensity - which means do it until you think you can't carry on, and then do a little bit more :)

Better than standard cardio is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). The basic premise is to work at your maximum intensity for a short period and then drop back to a lower intensity for a longer period. So for your cross trainer, go maybe 90 seconds at 40% intensity and 30 seconds at 95% intensity, then lather rinse repeat 5 times. Each session try to increase the time at high intensity and reduce the time at low intensity. Give it a go, you'll soon figure out your own best pattern.

I will say that P90x is the bomb! But it's pricey and you have to get a bunch of gear (weights, bands, pullup bars etc). Insanity is meant to be very good and no extra equipment needed for that one.

Jay
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone this is great, taking all ideas on board!

To stanstrise and hmiller, how would I log that afterwards?

And I walk with my son in his pushchair! Never go anywhere unless he's with me!

i would add up the minutes of cardio and log that number under 'aerobics, general'. add up the minutes of strength training and log that number under 'strength training'. look both of them up under the 'cardiovascular' section of your diary, and they should come up. good luck!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Also, don't know if anyone mentioned bodyrock.tv is a free home workout website, she has circuit workouts, and vids that explains how to do each move
  • MrsSmith1112
    MrsSmith1112 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP