But I love baking

Options
I love baking. I really love baking. But I have no self control.
I just made a healthy zucchini cake, and made a small version by quartering the recipe, but I ate the whole thing! Its still less than 700kcal for the whole cake, and I gave some to the dog too, but I'm so pissed off with myself. The day is still young, so I'll go take the dog for a decent walk, but that doesn't make it okay.
I wish I had someone to bake for, but my boyfriend doesn't like cake, and I'm off work for the moment with most of my friends on holiday.
I guess I just have to not bake for a while until I have someone to give the cake to.

Replies

• stoofers
    Options
    you should mail me the cake!
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    I just made a healthy zucchini cake, and made a small version by quartering the recipe, but I ate the whole thing! Its still less than 700kcal for the whole cake, and I gave some to the dog too, but I'm so pissed off with myself. The day is still young, so I'll go take the dog for a decent walk, but that doesn't make it okay.
    I wish I had someone to bake for, but my boyfriend doesn't like cake, and I'm off work for the moment with most of my friends on holiday.
    I guess I just have to not bake for a while until I have someone to give the cake to.
    Wait...your boyfriend doesn't like cake?! Something's wrong with this man! :huh:
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I love baking also... i make the smallest possible versions of everything.... and give it to friends or family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIP TO REDUCE WEIGHT:
    First turn your head to the right and then turn it to the left. Repeat this exercise everytime you are offered something to eat.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I love baking too. I'm the office Martha Stewart...I hate not being able to make the things that I love!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wait...your boyfriend doesn't like cake?! Something's wrong with this man! :huh:

My first thoughts were along those lines. Have you thought about having a cake-based affair with someone who loves cake?
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Drop baking. Seriously. I was an obsessive baker, but honestly, no one will mind if you pick up something from a bakery instead of bringing something homemade for events and such. Get all the sugar out of your house, or if your boyfriend needs sugar for coffee or anything else, have him stash it somewhere you don't know about it. You can maybe keep some artificial sweetener on hand (I refuse to drink my coffee black) and certainly some fruit, frozen or otherwise. Eventually you might just get out of the habit and find things to do with your hands that are less damaging to your peace of mind. Cooking savory dishes might be an alternative. Or restrict your baking to really super special occasions.

Best of luck.
  • Indy_Mario
    Options

My first thoughts were along those lines. Have you thought about having a cake-based affair with someone who loves cake?
    I'd totally have an affair with you, by the way.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I also love baking :( Sadly, I have had to practically stop baking completely. I only bake when there is an occasion, where as I used to bake weekly. But, my birthday is in a little more than a week so I will have an excuse again! :happy:
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Drop baking. Seriously. I was an obsessive baker, but honestly, no one will mind if you pick up something from a bakery instead of bringing something homemade for events and such. Get all the sugar out of your house, or if your boyfriend needs sugar for coffee or anything else, have him stash it somewhere you don't know about it. You can maybe keep some artificial sweetener on hand (I refuse to drink my coffee black) and certainly some fruit, frozen or otherwise. Eventually you might just get out of the habit and find things to do with your hands that are less damaging to your peace of mind. Cooking savory dishes might be an alternative.

Best of luck.
    I agree with the getting the temptation outta the house, but I most certainly appreciate something home made much more that something store bought.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    or if your boyfriend needs sugar for coffee or anything else, have him stash it somewhere you don't know about it.
    Really, you think it's healthy to have your family members hide food from you?
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Baking runs in my family and I love to do it, I have cut myself off considerably since I was in the same situation as you, I now am keeping it to holidays and events, It's hard but its better than nothing.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try experimenting with new recipes that you make up yourself. I have found several very good recipes on the internet for muffins, cookies, etc that are made with low carb-low cal ingredients that I would never have thought to use. We'd love to see what you come up with.:drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

My husband doesn't like cake either. He rarely eats any sweets at all. I just gave up baking except for special occasions when others will be eating it, because I LOVE cakes, pies, and cookies.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I love baking too. I've just had to cut back a lot. Even when I make healthier versions of things I still eat too much of it. I don't have the self control so I just try to avoid it.
  • jenna25
    jenna25 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I couldnt agree with you more, i love to bake and cook its a stress reliever for me..weird i know, but i also cant keep all of it in the house or I will not stop eating it. If you love to bake dont stop just keep a little for yourself and right away send some to work or friends. Get it out of the house asap. And if youre like me and find yourself tasting as you cook try chewing gum to keep your mouth busy, it deffinately helps save cals! Good luck!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Can you share with your neighbors? That's what I do.
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    one thing i do when i bake something is to cut up the portion sizes right then and there and then place the extras in the fridge, bag them up or whatever so they are out of sight out of mind type thing. hope that helps maybe a little
  • Indy_Mario
    Options

My husband doesn't like cake either. He rarely eats any sweets at all. I just gave up baking except for special occasions when others will be eating it, because I LOVE cakes, pies, and cookies.
    I am not big on sweets either, seriously, but cake...cake is an entirely different matter!
    It's a sin, like not liking bacon (unless due to religion, in that case it's the other way around).
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use an excellent website for getting recipies (they are all low fat)

http://www.rosemaryconley.tv/Recipes/Sweets-Desserts.aspx

Her cake recipies are lovely :smile:
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    i usually make the recipe smaller ( as you did) and just bag the left overs up. Key is also eating slow and drinking water and enjoying the bites you take. It takes a little while longer for your brain to realize you are full.