Will running really melt the fat?

Options
Will running really melt the fat?

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    With proper diet it will definitely help! I'm proof of that..
    But adding strength and cross training has been a huge factor for me as well.

Good luck!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    burmp
  • mediawebgirl
    Options
    Yes but power walking really does the trick too. If you run / walk more than 4 + miles a day. You'll start seeing your legs, butt and stomach start to tone up.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If your diet is right too, then I don't see why not.

I've just started running again and according to my HRM I burn over 800 calories every time I do a 4 mile run. Then again, I am 6ft, 210lbs and so unfit I'm at 90% of my max heart rate all the way round....
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Running burns a lot of calories. I have an HRM and running burns more per minute than spinning.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Another vote for power walking!

But I'm really getting into running at the moment, too.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Damn, YES.

Of course you can't eat crap and expect to lose weight no matter what. But if you run/jog or even power walk consistenly, it will be a great help in burning the fat.
  • jlayney
    jlayney Posts: 22
    Options
    running works to tone up a little, but diet and cross training are what makes the running effective. When I first started running, I weighed 185 lbs, and I lost about 8 lbs. I ran for two years, staying at 177 ish. When I started doing P90X and watching my portions, that's when the weight REALLY started to come off. I got down to 150!

I am back up to 162, but working on getting those pesky lbs off. I think it's because I was marathon training- and I didn't run for 5 monhs after the marathon.... :)

Good luck!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    not only does it melt fat, but it will strengthen your cardiorespiratory system, and your bones!!!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I really started to notice a difference after I started running again. I used to do the elliptical for 45 minutes a day and I had very minimal results compared to when I started running. It works really well for me.

I used to eat all kinds of high calorie stuff (pizza, ramen noodles, burgers, fries every day) in college and drank way too much beer but I also ran everyday and I stayed at a healthy weight.
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have completed 3-5Ks this year...I walk about a 13-15 min mile. I ran about 2 miles of the last 5K (I didn't run the whole 2 miles, I did it in intervals). I didn't know if stepping up my cardio workout would help shed more pounds. I also do a boot camp every month.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    No. Dieting will.

Though, it is not a bad exercise looking at "time spent vs calorie burnt" ratio.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Absolutely
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    With Diet Yes. I am proof. I am down 54 pounds since April.

Since i started, I have biked, Ran (90% running), walking and swim 75 times, for a total of 216 miles and burned 28,863 Calories.
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I want to put a plug in here for interval training too... run, walk fast, run, walk fast... awesome work out and burns tons of calories. Running is all cardio though, so you will probably want to add some strength training in 2 - 3 times a week. And of course.. you can run a million miles but if your eating habits are healthy, it won't do as much as utilizing a healthy eating style. I'm just getting back into some moderate jogging, and find it very satisfying! Enjoy!