2 different readings on the scale

Options
Haven't we all been here before?... You jump on the scale and the first reading is a pound or two lighter than last time. You're excited and you go to put your clothes on but that little voice in the back of your head says "maybe you should double check and weigh yourself again?". You do and the reading goes back to your last weight or a higher weight than the initial reading.

Which do you go by?

My scale is newer and digital. Sometimes I think it keeps a memory of the last time I weighed in. I think the chance of me weighing exactly 218.4 lbs today (when that is what I weighed over a week ago) is slim. You think it would be different by at least a tenth of a lb. - or is that just me wanting to take the lower reading and run?

Replies

• rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    hmm, good question. this exact thing happens to me. i had the same exact reading to the tenth of a pound three weeks in a row! however, i did re-weigh myself and come out with the same numbers, but i sometimes have it happen where from one moment to the next is a different number.

if i'm feeling down, i use the higher number. if i'm feeling like i can take on the world, i use the lower.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    If that happens to me then I do it again a couple of times to see what weight it says more consistently, sometimes it may be something as the way you were standing on it. It's very frustrations. I remember once I weighed my self went to the bathroom and I actually gained weight instead of losing it lol...my husband was hysterical with that one. But yeah just when that happens do it a few more times and go with the one that keeps coming up, with me it's usually the higher one unfortunately.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the desire to take the lower number and go, but then I'm afraid of being disappointed NEXT week when it might seem as though I've "gained" weight! I usually record a number after three repeats on the scale.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I feel like if a digital scale CAN GET a lower number it applies somehow. I always use the lower number. Always. In addition I jump on and off a few times just to make sure there is nothing "in memory" or just sitting on there.
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    this has been happening to me for a week its so frustrating. i stick to being under cals and exercise . first thing in the morning i go on the scales it registers the same or few ounces more. i jump on and off on and off and get half a dozen diference readings, i move the scale to other parts of the bathroom floor that might be more friendly and the same happens!! i want to throw my beloved scale out the window but when i start going down again it will be my best friend
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've got some cheap digital scales and I've found that the value can vary by 0.5kg depending on if I lean forward or back.

It appears to have sensors in it's four feet and it probably averages the readings from all of them, so I think the ones at the front are more sensitive than the ones at the back.

To get a good reading I usually step on the scales 2-3 times. Quite often one value will pop up more than any other so I go with that. Given it's not much of a variance anyway I'm not worrying too much, I know the cheap scales arn't perfectly accurate.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My scale always does this. I even changed the battery thinking that maybe that was the problem. I weigh myself at least 3 times and either take the average or weigh myself until I get the same number at least 2-3 times. I also have to continually remind myself that the scale is just another tool in this very long and arduous journey of mine. Sometimes I am not going to like what it says but that doesn't mean that I give up - just like sometimes I don't like what the food diary says (especially when I want a snack at night and I have used up all of my calories:tongue:) but that doesn't mean I am not going to keep track of my food the next day. Good Luck!!
  • navygunner
    navygunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have also found that often the readings may vary on the surface irregularities of the floor where the scale sits. I have a tile floor in my bathroom and I can move it from one place to another and get a different reading. I try to make sure the scale is always in the same spot. Besides I try not to weigh myself in daily, although I will admit it is tempting.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If that happens to me then I do it again a couple of times to see what weight it says more consistently, sometimes it may be something as the way you were standing on it. It's very frustrations. I remember once I weighed my self went to the bathroom and I actually gained weight instead of losing it lol...my husband was hysterical with that one. But yeah just when that happens do it a few more times and go with the one that keeps coming up, with me it's usually the higher one unfortunately.

Haha! This is funny. My husband and I joke about this all the time. My scale never budges after I go!!!
  • kenzysmom
    Options
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I bought a new scale thinking this was an issue with my old scale. Nope, still having the same issues. So frustrating. I tend to go along with getting off and on until I get the same number 2-3 times. Usually it's not the number I want either! :(
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm not alone here. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I did hop on and off the scale a few times and besides the initial reading of 217.2 lbs the other 3 readings were 218.4 lbs (same as the previous week). I think my bathroom floor is pretty even and level. Maybe it is just the way I am standing sometimes. My scale does need zeroed out just like @brock27 mentioned, but it still comes up with the same reading as a previous day or week lots of times.

@feydruss I know what you mean but I feel like if I go with the lower reading it will push me more this week to make sure I get the same reading or lower next week. So I kinda want to go with @mea9's philosophy. There's something encouraging and so satisfying about officially typing that lower weight in - even if it is just a pound.

Maybe I will just wait and weigh myself again tomorrow.