What vitamins do you take?

Options
I don’t eat a lot of meat/chicken/fish as I am a don’t like eating animals and the flavor makes me sick sometimes.
I was thinking of taking a multi vitamin, Vitamin C, B-12, Q1o and Omega 3

What's missing?

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat a lot of meat/chicken/fish as I am a don’t like eating animals and the flavor makes me sick sometimes.
    I was thinking of taking a multi vitamin, Vitamin C, B-12, Q1o and Omega 3

What's missing?
    If you eat a lot of fruits/ veggies and beans /grains, I don't think you need much extra at all. If you plan of doing a lot of strength training you might need protein supplements.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    I would say if you are not eating meat you need to make sure that you have another good source for protein. This may be lacking more than other vitamins as fresh fruits and vegetables will have a great deal of vitamins in them. Not sure what your dairy intake is but you will want to consider something with a good calcium component as well.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your B-complex in there, most notably B-12 and B-6. Do you drink milk? If not, you need vitamin D and calcium. Finally, Vitamin C boosts your energy, so it's always a great one to amp up on.

Most women's multivitamins will take care of these. I'd take one of those and an extra boost of B-complex.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    None. I don't think they're neccessary if you have a balanced diet. I do take Krill oil, on doctor's advice, due to raised tri-glycerides.
    Are you getting enough protein from other sources?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a vitamin deficiency and/or have been advised by a doctor to take supplements you are better off not taking them.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/EMIHC254/24479/8015/1414799.html?d=dmtICNNews
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    google CLA, you will find arguments for and against taking it, but it's something you would normally get from grass fed animals and dairy.....if you're not eating meat you're probably not getting the recommended amount.

I've been taking it for 7 years (I don't eat red meat and hardly any dairy) and I have not had any of the "potential" negatives.
    I also take vitamin D for energy (per my Dr.) and L-carnitine.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take these (doctor discussed and approved). I either take the Nature's Made or Spring Valley brand if you want to look any up. I take the D3 as my levels of D are too low.

Daily
    centrium multivitamin
    calcium (500 mg) includes D - 2 capsules
    B Complex includes C - 1 tablet
    D3 5000 IU - 1 tablet
    Fish Oil (1200 mg) - 2 capsules

Every other day:
    Iron (65 mg) - 1 capsule
  • limorg
    limorg Posts: 15
    Options
    None. I don't think they're neccessary if you have a balanced diet. I do take Krill oil, on doctor's advice, due to raised tri-glycerides.
    Are you getting enough protein from other sources?

I dont know... im gonna have to start looking at my protien intake...
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Vitamin D3 is a must (Other D's are greatly inferior)

Cod liver oil has got a 30 year history of data behind it (and then some if you ask Grandma)

I think a powerful caratanoid like lycopene is justified to for its antioxidant ability (superior to the much more expensive astra-xanthin you see many health sales sites promoting)

Vitamin C from food or from supplements

I think the rest usually makes for good sales but very little affect.

I do use glucosamine, glutamine and whey as I do heavy lifting and these are proven recovery aids for those. As well, I do notice a reduced recovery time when taking them. But this is situational.