Running Frustration!

Options
When does exercise turn into a must have??? I hear people talk about how much they love it and feeling great doing it. I've been running 5 days a week trying to lose weight and get into a routine for about 2.5 months now and every day that I do it I dread it. Of course after I'm glad I did it and feel proud of getting it done. I am signed up for my first ever 5K in Chicago on November 5th. I'm scared to death of embarrassing myself and that is my main motivation to keep running at this point. I'm sure if the scale was showing huge differences in my weight I would be much more motivated but it sure is moving slowly so far.

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Don't be stressed about embarrassing yourself at that 5K; you get out there, run YOUR race, enjoy the event and know that you are doing way more than someone who is still sitting on their couch! I tell myself that finishing last is better than not finishing and not finishing is better than not starting!
    As for loving exercise, I've been going at this for about 18 months now, running for about a year...and I honestly can't say "I love to exercise!" I love the feeling I have when I'm done, I love the sense of accomplishment, I love the rush...but I hate the actual work! Maybe one day that will change, don't know; but I will keep doing it because the results far out weigh my dislikes!
    Good luck on that 5K!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Running might not be your thing. Mix it up a bit with circuit training, aerobics, spinning, swimming, etc. and you might get more enjoyment out of exercise.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    Kelly:
    Stick with it. Over time, you'll realize exercise really is a MUST HAVE. Mentally and physically, it does so much for you. One suggestion, maybe you should cross train rather than run 5-days-a-week. Mixing up your workouts gives you variety, you meet more people and it becomes social as well as good for you. There are so many benefits to cross training when you are training for a running event. Try a spin class, yoga, pilates, cross fit, a strength class, swimming, etc., etc. In addition to rounding out your workouts, cross training will help prevent injury and boredom. Adding muscle (which burns more calories when you are at rest) is such a great thing too!
    Good luck. I know you'll do great.
    Bryn
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Running for me turned into an addiction when I started training for races. But for some people they will never love to run... In order to like exercise you have to choose something you like! Not choose something and try to make yourself like it. But, maybe if you stick with it and train for some races you will chance your mind. Keep your workouts somewhat light, and when you are running remind yourself that during this time you are no ones, employee, sister, mom, or even friend. You are there for yourself, and it is your time!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi

Why don't you change it up a bit? I don't enjoy running very much and I only end up doing it when my personal trainer makes me do it in the gym. Try yoga or swimming or gym or another aerobics in the week to reduce the feeling of "dread" you have before you run. What else can you do to make the running more enjoyable? Do you listen to music while you train? Having a really bangin' tune going really helps me in the gym when I'm not feeling motivated.

Good luck!
  • Triathlynne
    Options
    I run too, I'm not fast but I love getting out. You could maybe try changing it up a bit by cross training if you feel running is become too mundane. There have been several run races where I've come in last, I'll admit I felt embarassed but I never regretted getting out there and trying. You're doing better than everyone sat at home watching TV! :D You will do AWESOME! Good luck!
  • CherylM2015
    CherylM2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, the key was doing something that I genuinely found enjoyable. If you don't like running, don't do it. I don't like running either....the only running I do now is when I'm incorporating treadmill intervals into my cardio workouts.

I HATED exercising..my entire life. Then, about a year ago, I joined a local fitness class and I fell in love with it. After doing that for a couple of months, I lost some weight, gained some confidence and had caught "the fitness bug".

I joined a gym and I also joined bootcamp classes. I truly enjoy both and I look forward to going.

So my advice is to try to find something that you'll enjoy. Are there any fitness classes in your area you can join? Try a few different things and see what you enjoy. That way, you'll want to go and will be more likely to stick with it.
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    i'm not sure what to say. i do love "exercising". i find myself forcing my mind to take on exercise tapes, but when it comes to walking/hiking/floor work i don't even think twice. i have just kept myself loving it by doing activities that make me happy. i'm an outdoors person, so give me some yard work or a nice trail and i'm there. tell me i have to do a work-out tape or hit the weight machine and i'll resist (albeit slightly). i am also always glad that i pushed myself to do it. but my ever-slight resistance is what i chalk up to not doing something that pleases me. it's all in the mind, but i don't know the cure.

great job on hanging in there, but i don't know the right answer to this one.
  • aninamika
    aninamika Posts: 159
    Options
    hey girl
    What part of it are you not enjoying? Are you running the whole time? I love running and am gutted because I hurt my knee 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to do it. I only started running last year and I LOVE it! I have days when it's harder than others but like you at the end of it I feel great for having achieved it. don't concern yourself about the race - your preparations will help you smash it. Don't run for time just aim to complete the distance, settle into the run and check out your surroundings, if you're doing the same route maybe try a different one. I find that it's the little things that make a difference in whether you enjoy your run or not.

Keep it up - you are doing great. The fact you have stayed with it and have that goal shows success already. As for the scales - it will happen. The weight didn't appear overnight so it's not going to disappear just like that. For me I love exercising - so it's never a must have. I figure if it does reach that point then it's time to change it up.

Hope this has helped somewhat :D

:D
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bobby, well said!

I agree you are doing great things. Stick with it and you'll feel great knowing you accomplished it and faced your dread/fears. I love to do other excercise, but really don't like to run, but I'm in week 6 of the couch to 5K program. And, I may never be a runner or enjoy it but I'm doing it to prove myself wrong! Keep it up, you are doing so well.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4 months before I actually stopped dreading my morning run and by 6 months in, I was actually rearranging my schedule to make sure I had time for it. It will come, just hang in there. And of course, don't forget to take a day off now and then and/or cross train in some manner.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You have nothing to be emarrassed about and I am gonna go out on a limb and say you probably will not be the last one to finish, but even if you are, you got your butt out there and did it and that itself is an accomplishment.
  • VTGolden
    VTGolden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really started to love running when two things happened. One, I joined a 5k running class at a local sports store and was able to run with like minded people. I still have great friends from that group! Two, I ran my first 5k and felt the awesomeness of achievement. I now have the running "bug" ! Running helped me lose 60 pounds in the last 4 years. I have since done a 10k, 15k and a half marathon. I hope to run in a marathon Spring '12!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am a fairly new runner, about 12 weeks and I love it! I frequent many running websites, particularly anothermotherrunner.com. One of the points that was made that I thought made a lot of sense about running is that if you set out to run just to lose weight, you are going to fail, you'll never enjoy it because you are doing it for the wrong reason. If you don't like running, and it's not about setting physical goals for yourself and personal accomplishments, do something else. Running isn't for everyone. No excercise is going to work for you if you don't like it. Find something that you truly enjoy and you will be successful!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I did have a gym membership and really enjoyed the group classes. My gym decided to close their daycare and turn it into a spa :grumble: Maybe my running frustration is that I mostly treadmill since its dark by the time I get out of work, pick up my kids, make dinner, etc. Yesterday I picked up a Wii zumba game from the library because I have an angry spot on my toe (new running shoes). So maybe changing it up for a few days will give me a fresh start. :wink:
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't run to lose weight. That's just a bonus. I look at running as the time that I set aside to do something good and positive for myself. I run for therapy, too. Bad days don't seem as bad after running all of my stress and worry out. I don't believe in doing something that makes you miserable, but I don't think that anyone will sit here and tell you that they LOVE the feeling they get while they run. I don't think that pain is necessarily what people like about running. It's the feeling you have afterwards that is so addicting. It's knowing that you accomplished something that not everyone can. Running is hard work. It takes dedication and commitment. It's not meant to be a walk in the park.

As for your 5k, good luck! It's an amazing feeling. Running in a race is so much different than running by yourself. I have a feeling that you're going to like it. The adrenaline rush feels fantastic. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Remember to go at your own pace, and DO NOT freak yourself out in the first mile by trying to keep up with other people. Most likely you'll be passing those people at the end.
  • elizabunny
    Options
    When does exercise turn into a must have??? I hear people talk about how much they love it and feeling great doing it. I've been running 5 days a week trying to lose weight and get into a routine for about 2.5 months now and every day that I do it I dread it. Of course after I'm glad I did it and feel proud of getting it done. I am signed up for my first ever 5K in Chicago on November 5th. I'm scared to death of embarrassing myself and that is my main motivation to keep running at this point. I'm sure if the scale was showing huge differences in my weight I would be much more motivated but it sure is moving slowly so far.

I used to hate running. I ran long distance on the track team in highschool b/c I played basketball and our coaches made us to ensure we stay in shape out of season. I absolutely hated it. Then all of a sudden, I grew up. Life got busy. Life got StReSsFuL! Running, is ME time. I talk to God when I run, I get out all my work thoughts when I run. I go over things I need to do, things I want to do. Recently, I've also learned that listening to a book on audio is amazing when running! If you're like me, you see the requirement of losing weight a negative thing and running helps to contribute to that. However, if you look at running as a "me time" destresser, running can become your sanctuary.
    Good luck!!

XOXO,
    Elizabeth
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Don't be stressed about embarrassing yourself at that 5K; you get out there, run YOUR race, enjoy the event and know that you are doing way more than someone who is still sitting on their couch! I tell myself that finishing last is better than not finishing and not finishing is better than not starting!
    As for loving exercise, I've been going at this for about 18 months now, running for about a year...and I honestly can't say "I love to exercise!" I love the feeling I have when I'm done, I love the sense of accomplishment, I love the rush...but I hate the actual work! Maybe one day that will change, don't know; but I will keep doing it because the results far out weigh my dislikes!
    Good luck on that 5K!
    i agree with this, I say i love to exercise but what i mean is i love the feeling i get after i do it. Maybe we all should say that so people wont think it is always fun at first... I dread it before i do it and about 5 or 10 minutes into it, however once that is done im starting to let my mind go as im jogging before i know it im jogging with a rythmic breathe and i cant believe i can do it, I thinkof where i was and how it is now and i get happy, then when im finished im so excited I did it again!! Even tho i dreaded it i did it once again I think that is where i love to exercise lol. Knowing i did something that makes me feel great after. I have not lost alot yet but i do know what is happening on the inside is alot, and i keep going knowing im bettter today then i was yesterday and it may be next year.. but i will lose my weight. I didnt get fat over night so it will take awhile to lose. I think we only have one life and this is not a dress rehearsal we have one body and we have to keep it as healthy as we can. goood luck, and you are not doing anything wrong keep going you are doing great!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you...I ran my first 5K a week ago. I ran it at my pace, but I ran a personal best. Even so, I came in last place. Do I care? Nope. I ran 3.1 miles without stopping to walk at all. And for the last tenth of a mile or so, some random guy who already completed his race, I have no idea who he is, ran alongside me, encouraging me for that last leg. That was special.

Don't be embarassed. Be proud. You'll be one of the few people running a 5K that day when most people are just rolling out of bed.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    Let me tell you...I ran my first 5K a week ago. I ran it at my pace, but I ran a personal best. Even so, I came in last place. Do I care? Nope. I ran 3.1 miles without stopping to walk at all. And for the last tenth of a mile or so, some random guy who already completed his race, I have no idea who he is, ran alongside me, encouraging me for that last leg. That was special.

Don't be embarassed. Be proud. You'll be one of the few people running a 5K that day when most people are just rolling out of bed.

Thats great and very encouraging. Thank you. :happy: