Pot Roast!

Options
JennaM222
JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
Hi All,

Quick question. I am planning on making a pot roast friday - roast, carrots, onions, and potatoes. Anyone have any modified healthier recipes as far as the cream of whatever goes that they put in there??? My recipe I use cream of onion.

thanks!

Jenna

Replies

• ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    I don't think you need you use any kind of cream soup to make pot roast... keep your meat and vegetables and just add some water and spices to cook in. Also, if you have some low-sodium broth or stock on hand, you can add that in place of water.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the crock pot and mix the water with 1 packet of brown gravy mix and 1 packet of Lipton Onion soup mix. Turns out tender with good flavor. Only use enough liquid to go about half way up the roast. I cook it on low heat for about 10 hours, flipping it about halfway through.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    no cream of anything is needed :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Great! thanks Ladies. I am new to the crockpot world :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I just put in some bullion. It creates an intensely crazy sodium value, but it doesn't dry out. Water would probably work also.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    I've never put cream in - I always put coffee (the caffeine tenderizes the meat and it makes for an amazing roast) adds 0 sugar - 0 sodium so it gives great control over the entire thing. I just add garlic mushrooms onion and spices.

Funny you asked this - I'm planning on cooking this exact thing today. Psychic much?
  • angeladblaylock
    Options
    I dont use any kind of cream. I pour in a bottle of V8, one packet of italian seasoning and your veggies. It is sooo yummy!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I use your ingredients but I use a can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup ( I hate mushrooms, but this is awesome), and half a bottle of herb and garlic marinade. I mix the soup and marinade together and pour over and cook as usual. Its makes a delicious gravy.

I just try to use reduced cal/sodium/fat options.
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I made this the other week and it was great.

the first ever pot roast i've made

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/coffee_braised_pot_roast_with_caramelized_onions.html
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I just made a roast and didn't put any kind of liquid with it.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    When I make a roast in the crock pot, all I add is the meat, veggies and a jar of horseradish. So GOOD!!!
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    Just use the meat and veggies and spices and let it cook down. it gets so tender and juicy you don't need a sauce! :)
  • PeytonLT
    Options
    I just do my meat and veggies with a little water and spices like Nature's Own seasoning, garlic salt and meat tenderizer. Every once in a while I will add a pack of au jus gravy mix.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Use a French Onion soup...It's a broth based rather than a cream base....But I've never used a cream of soup anything in mine...Sometimes some Red Wine in it......
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    YUM!

Just add 1 cup of water and a lipton onion soup mix (powder) just sprinkle it all over the roast, ENJOY!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I just add water and a packet of dry Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Roast falls apart when I take it out and has a good flavor. You can also season the meat with your favorite seasoning before you put it in if you choose to.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Try low sodium beef broth. Saute/ brown your meat and veggies before you put them in the pot to add extra flavor.