I'm New and struggling.

Options
I have been at this for about 20 days now. The hardest part for me is regulating everything. I seem to keep making excuses for the bad things I eat saying their under my calorie limit. Then exercising is such a struggle also. Anyone have any suggestions as to motivation and changing my diet?

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating that's the biggest part but ya gonna have to do at least 30 minutes some type workout walkiong etc..For now what ya eating?
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Get the bad stuff out of the house and get into a accountability group for the exercise...there is a better chance you will get your workout in when folks are asking you how your workout was ;)
  • jonzey1022
    jonzey1022 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you exercise at a time that works best for you. I have the most energy in the morning so I do everything then! I also find that it is motivating to mark down my workouts on a calendar. Then I can see how many times I worked out in a month and how many I missed and try to make a goal for myself in the next month. I am not sure if you are there but I schedule all of my workouts on beachbody.com. That way I just have to log in and then it's done. If you are there they have something called WOWY where you can meet with other people and "work out with them" that did help me in the beginning when I needed more motivation to exercise. Also make sure you are doing what you like and eventually you will look forward to doing the exercise!
    As for the eating don't try and make all a change at once, it won't work. You just have to make healthier choices and trade this for that. Feel free to add me and I can help i f you would like.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I struggle on a daily basis; I know what you're going through!! My pitfalls are chocolate and red wine, which I still keep in the house. But, I only allow myself one or two glasses of wine at the end of the week if I completed 5 workouts that week. And then for chocolate, I try to buy small individually wrapped treats, like small Ghiradelli squares. That way, I only eat one rather than grabbing a handful/whole bar of chocolate.

I try to make "deals" with myself.

It's hard though - it's hard.
  • lhinds85
    lhinds85 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    accountablility is the key. No matter what you eat log it. Also add some friends. You can add me if you like. The more support and encouragement you have i feel the better off you do. Also know that you can do this no matter what comes in your way.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Get the bad stuff out of the house and get into a accountability group for the exercise...there is a better chance you will get your workout in when folks are asking you how your workout was ;)

These are great ideas!!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    While exercising, curse the food that made you struggle. That's what I do, haha. It makes me want to avoid it more the next time I see it:)
  • emily2tx
    Options
    Definitely get a friend on board with you if you can! I have lost 30 lbs in the last two years (the right way) and it has been because I have a friend that holds me accountable and I hold her accountable. It has saved me. Even when you are struggling, you have someone to talk to about it. If you can't find someone around you, then find a MFP buddy that will talk to you daily and keep up the motivation! It can be done. It is NOT easy. You CAN do it though! If you fall off a day or so, get back on it. It is so worth the effort!
  • kdruga
    kdruga Posts: 35
    Options
    The thing that made everything click for me was doing something three times. Once you do something three times, it becomes a habit. If you can break through exercising and eating healthier for three days, it seems less horrible everyday thereafter. Never give up on yourself, though. I lost 25 pounds quickly earlier this year, and tried to just moderate on my own, and gained 8 back. I've lost the 8 again, and on my way! You can do it!
  • mirandahimmelspeck
    Options
    I have had to tell myself over and over again that chocolate is poison to me. So long as I keep telling myself that, I can avoid it but as soon as I give myself permission to have that chocolate I don't stop and end up with a chocolate bar a day when I am on my way home from work, which just recently packed back on 10 pounds. In a way chocolate IS poison to me because I have high cholestoral and need to avoid foods like that.

As to the exercise - it can be so hard to start moving but once you get yourself in a routine of what works best for you, it gives you so much energy and makes you feel so good about yourself and it makes it more difficult to sabatoge yourself becuase when you work hard at the exercise it becomes a matter of whether or not you want to waste the effort by eating that thing with empty calories.

You can do it! Don't beat yourself up. Every day is a new day to start fresh.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's never easy, but it does get easier. Keep trying, you are doing great. The fact that you are aware of what you are eating and are trying to change is a huge step.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,106 Member
    Options
    Make small changes as you can. It's overwhelming to try to change everything at once.

Just keep moving forward, no matter how many small setbacks you have.
  • vraisteele
    Options
    Make a menu plan for the day, or for the whole week. Add the foods to your diary in advance. When you get to that day, check and see what you are supposed to eat for that day. Then stick to it. If you find you have some extra calories, have a healthy snack. Also, make sure you are working out at least 3 to 4 times a week. It keeps your metabolism up, and helps you feel more energized and ready to tackle each day. I know that working out makes me feel better about myself. If you don't like to run, try lifting weights, or vice versa. Or you could swim, do zumba, yoga...there are so many choices. Just stick with it and you'll get to your goal.
  • Colie140
    Options
    I pretty much just started.....again. I realized that I am not superwoman, and for me I am really out of shape and exercising for 30 min a day isn't going to happen right now. Let's be realistic here. I know I should but my body isn't agreeing. So...I have started with what I can. Today I walked for 12 min at a good pace. Tomorrow I will tr;y and add just a hair or more. Don't over due it or you will burn yourself out. Just do SOMETHING get moving!
    As for eating, think of it as poison. And it is, look what it is doing to your body and your health. Personally I have to have some chocolate every day or die. So for me I will allow ONE dove chocolate. I used to sit in front of the tv and eat ice cream every night. Thanks husband. Now I just do a cup of fat free hot chocolate. It gives me my evening chocolate fix and isn't nearly as bad as my old choices. As I am making changes and changing my attitude I realize that my desire for cake, cookies etc has really decreased, I don't want them so much, and I look at them as poison that is going to kill me.
    Hope this helps.
  • whitpsyd
    Options
    Getting into a pattern is the hardest thing! Like many people said, get a friend. I have a co-worker who meets me at the gym every morning at 5:30. There are many days we don't feel like getting out of bed and going in, but knowing that someone else is expecting you makes you follow through. Also, when you finally see that you are loosing weight, it feels so much better. Cake, chocolate and other "bad" things are not necessarily that bad, as long as you make sure you work out and do what you are supposed to do first.

The biggest tip I'd gotten lately is to fill half your plate with veggetables and eat all of those first. They will fill you up with less calories. Then eat the other things on your plate starting with the protein and then going to the carbs. At that, you will feel better and full. If you want cake, have cake, but make sure that you work out that day and have a SMALL piece. Depriving yourself of things will not make this easier. But making the healthy choices first will improve your outlook and the results on the scale.

Hang in there! It took me about three weeks to finally get into a very consistent routine of twice daily workouts. The first week, I was lucky if I met my co-worker twice in the week for a workout. Last week was the first week I just showed up at the gym without texting her first to arrange it. Found out the behavior stuck for both of us! =)
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying.
    Start small and continue to move forward; it can be overwhelming at first.
    Get all the bad stuff out of the house! If it's not there you can't eat it!
    When you go to the store make sure you have a list and stick to the list (plus make sure you don't go hungry!)
    Allow yourself a treat or a "cheat" day so you don't lose control and just binge or give up.
    I have a calendar on my Fridge that shows all the days I worked out what I burned and then if it is a bad food day I put a huge frowny face on that day. This reminds me of what I'm trying to achieve and not to ruin my "good" exercise day by eating a bunch of crap.
    If you eat chocolate make sure it's dark chocolate. It is better for you and has less fat and calories.
    Grab a friend, join a challenge, do anything to get moving and keep moving. You'll find that once you get started you'll like the "buzz" you get from working out and you'll notice an energy change, you'll mood will be better and I sleep better now than I did before.

Add me as a friend if you like!
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    i always say if the food is a struggle its because you dont have any yummy recipes to make. It used to be hard for me because i love food with flavor..who doesnt? but as i found so really good healthy recipes i dont touch the "bad things" or really have the urge for them anymore... ( skinnytaste.com) is a site full of ideas
    As for working out it is very tough at first to get up and WANT to do it. I just put in my head this is something i NEED i stopped going to the gym and did interval circuits at home..only takes about 20 mins of less and burns alot of cals. Now i have so much energy and ive become stronger and actually enjoy it
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Choose to lose weight, several times a day, everyday.
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm old and struggling! I'm hoping joining a challenge on here is going to help get me back on track!!
  • jonzey1022
    jonzey1022 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    whitpsyd- I like your advice about the plate!