When do you journal your food?

Options
I do the entire day either the day before or first thing in the morning. I then add/remove as each meal passes based on what I did, but I find this helps me to stay on track somehow. Maybe the planning?

I'm wondering when everyone else journals and why (if there is a reason)...

Replies

• mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i journal as i eat it...no real reason behind it but it helps me see what i need to do :smile:
  • karalmeier
    Options
    Sometimes I track it all in the morning, so I am held accountable to what I eat through out the day... or sometimes I just track as I go. I find that I eat better when I track BEFORE hand :) But either way, as long as you track what you eat, you'll see how what you put into your body is a big part of weight loss!
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I usually do mine at the time of the meal and it's easier because I also have it on my phone so I don't have to have the computer. Sometimes I do find that doing it the day before or in the morning for the whole day helps because I find myself sticking to it more because I don't want to edit my entries...lol...
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I journal as I eat to track everything.
    I have issues sometimes planning out the whole week due to money restraints.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I do the entire day either the day before or first thing in the morning. I then add/remove as each meal passes based on what I did, but I find this helps me to stay on track somehow. Maybe the planning?

I'm wondering when everyone else journals and why (if there is a reason)...

I do the same thing. I also plan my meals out a week in advance since I only go grocery shopping once a week. This way I have what I need on hand and nothing else.
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do mine throughout the day- I have the app on my phone, so it's pretty easy. I usually eat mostly the same things every day, so my meal planning isn't too complicated. I've logged some meals beforehand, but I've always ended up changing stuff, so I just wait until Ive eaten.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Sometimes before if it's planned, but often after I actually eat or exercise. Keeps me 100% honest and accountable. Anyway whatever works is what matters.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I plan in advance, usually for the whole week.
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    I journal as I eat to track everything.
    I have issues sometimes planning out the whole week due to money restraints.

Yup.
  • LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    Options
    I journal in the morning for the whole day too. I think it holds me accountable and I know if I have enough calories available for an extra snack throughout the day!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I try to have everything journaled by noon each day - helps me stick to the plan for the day.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work I journal everything except my dinner first thing in the morning, since I know what I've brought to eat, and then my dinner either that night (if I have time) or first thing the next day. On my days off I journal as I go ... the Android app has helped with that.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I do the exact same as you! Planning first thing in the morning definitely keeps me on track and I know i won't be heading into any surprises later in the day! It helps me feel more in conrtol. I usually already know what I'll be making for dinner for my family, so I log that and then whatever I happen to be in the mood for at breakfast. Then I can fill in my lunch/snacks however the calories fit!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do it all in advance, but frequently change it. If I know I'm going out for dinner I usually plan what I'm going to have ahead of time so that I know how much I can eat during the rest of the day. I enjoy planning meals, and it makes grocery shopping easier.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I usually log mine in the morning unless i'm on the go for the day
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I do the exact same as you! Planning first thing in the morning definitely keeps me on track and I know i won't be heading into any surprises later in the day! It helps me feel more in conrtol. I usually already know what I'll be making for dinner for my family, so I log that and then whatever I happen to be in the mood for at breakfast. Then I can fill in my lunch/snacks however the calories fit!

Same here
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I usually journal before I eat. I typically eat about the same things during the week, and buy my food for the week on Mondays, so I have everything there and I can choose what to eat at mealtime.
    In the mornings, on my train ride to work, I enter in breakfast, I choose my lunch first at lunchtime, then enter that, as well as my snacks. Then I decide what to make for dinner during lunchtime, then track that.
    I have to journal as I go, since I will never remember what I've eaten if I wait until the end of the day to track my meals.
    It's important to me, in order to plan and not stray, to have everything at home or at work first. So I know exactly what I'm eating. And it works! I don't freak out when I have my plan.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I usually journal before I eat. I typically eat about the same things during the week, and buy my food for the week on Mondays, so I have everything there and I can choose what to eat at mealtime.
    In the mornings, on my train ride to work, I enter in breakfast, I choose my lunch first at lunchtime, then enter that, as well as my snacks. Then I decide what to make for dinner during lunchtime, then track that.
    I have to journal as I go, since I will never remember what I've eaten if I wait until the end of the day to track my meals.
    It's important to me, in order to plan and not stray, to have everything at home or at work first. So I know exactly what I'm eating. And it works! I don't freak out when I have my plan.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I pre plan
  • amiet2003
    Options
    I do it the night before for breakfast and snacks as i do plan what to eat in the morning and what munchies to bring in the office, then add lunch and dinner either before or after eating. This way, i get to see if i'm exceeding my desired calories intake. i'm on my 4th week and it works for me!