Some guidance please - Long distance running and P90X

Options
I have a question for the long distance runners who have done P90X in addition to their running routine.

I have been running approximately 45-65 km (28-40 miles) per week all summer while training for my marathon. Now that it is over, I'm working on strength for the winter while maintaining my running. I aiming for 40 km (25 miles) per week, split into 3 runs, 2 shorts and a long, until February and increasing it gradually from there getting ready for an ultra or two next season.

Starting Monday I will be starting the P90X program and my maintenance plan through till the end of January.

My question is which version of P90X would be best for me? I was thinking the "lean" since I want to maintain cardio, but now I'm thinking maybe "classic"? I want to maintain my cardio, build strength, all while leaning out and toning up.

From what I can see the difference is mostly classic uses Plyo, no Cardio X, and lean uses Cardio X, no Plyo.

Any thoughts from those with experience in both areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing P90X Classic. I've read in a few running magazines that plyometrics improves running and the leg and back workout will help with leg strength.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would go with classic or do doubles, but count your runs as the double portion. Essentially doubles has you do extra cardio on the lifting days. So if you run on those 3 days you are doing your own version of doubles.

doubles uses the classic workout routines but throws in more cardio. I would go with classic, as you are already doing extra cardio, so lean would be overkill on the cardio with not enough strength training.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    I'd still do classic. P90X, regardless of the program, basically alternates between a cardio day and a strength training day. If you're a runner, sub out cardio days (yoga X, Kenpo X) for run days. However, I would recommend keeping Plyo X. I was injured a couple of years ago and quit running for about 6 months. I did P90X in the meantime and actually returned with faster run times. I can't tell you definitively that it was Plyo X, it could have been the whole program, but Plyo X whipped my cardio *kitten* every time I did it, so I know it had to have something to do with increased aerobic capacity for me personally.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I think I'll take on the classis then. I'll take a better look at doubles too on my lunch. I appreciate your help!
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am ultrarunner and triathlete and I do something similar as billb2112 -I rotate my swim/bike/runs workouts between the p90X strength workouts. I also try to work in at least 1 of the other dvds (yoga, plyo, stretch, etc) at least once a week. I do have some double days but I am careful about not beating myself up too much.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great mix, thanks for sharing!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would do classic. Build muscle. You get enough cardio with your running.