Pitiful thief wants to reform....help!

Options
I can't buy the treats for halloween until the last minute becasue I will eat them. I certainly can't buy chocolate because I will eat them. I have to pass out candy I don't even like to avoid eating it. I just can't have stuff in the house because I have no resistance. Every year I steal my kids's candy while they sleep. I am dispicable. :frown: How can I stop the madness I know is coming?
HELP!!!:noway:

Replies

• juliofnj187
    Options
    Why don't you try to pass out pretzels or buy candy you don't like, then you'll never eat it =)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is up to YOU to have the willpower. You have to tell yourself not to do it and follow through. Unfortunately, no one else can stop you from doing it.

One thing that may help? Instead of denying yourself ANY of it -- decide what kind of candy you like the best (for me it is peanut butter cups) and have a couple of them on Halloween. That way you're getting a treat, but not gorging on them. I truly believe when we tell ourselves something is off limits, when the time comes when we are around it (and the time WILL come - you can't ignore food for the rest of your life) we gorge on it. We start to feel resentful that we can't have something and our focus turns to obsession with it.
  • perezy
    perezy Posts: 5
    Options
    My husband buys the candy and keeps it from me untill Halloween. Then as we poor it into the bowl I pick out 3 fun size pieces and I eat them slowly while we play scrabble and hand it out. Im always satisfied with the 3 and keeps me from eatign too much.

Just decided what you will eat and stick to it. It is not realistic to think you will eat none of it. ITS HALLOWEEN! the day was made to eat candy :)
  • jak111
    jak111 Posts: 36
    Options
    When I want something really bad like candy or that chocolate sundae, I actually go to MFP and log it in for the day, if it fits w/in my cals/fat/carbs, then I allow myself to have some, if it doesn't, then I delete it and either find something else to have or try to forget it. Remember the journey isn't an all or nothing deal. You can have whatever you want w/in reason and portion size. Maybe have something else lowcal in the house that you can have. There is 100 calories packs at the store that include chips, cheeseits, chocolate cookies, etc. These snacks have truly helped me through times like this.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just allow yourself 1 or 2 pieces a day. Make sure it fits into your daily caloric restriction. This way you do not feel like you are depriving yourself and end up late night gorging on the goodies.
  • superkel317
    Options
    I have almost no self control when it comes to chocolate, too. Maybe have someone be an "accountability partner" with you. Tell them about the problem, and they will ask you how you are doing with it each day. That might help. Or, fess up to your kids and tell them to lock up their goodies! I have to have my husband hide any treats like that or I end up sneaking them every time I walk by the pantry!
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There is a dentist here that "buys" back the kids candy. Maybe look for one where you are.
  • mirandahimmelspeck
    Options
    Buying candy you don't like is a really great trick and I do that myself every year because I know when it comes to chocolate I just can't resist so I would rather get something I don't like and not worry about it.

The bigger problem is staying out of the candy that comes back into the house when you have kids. Eating their candy while they are sleeping is not a good thing. Maybe let them keep their candy for 1 week only and everything that is left after that week gets tossed so that you don't have it in the house for as long.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Once you lose 25-30 pounds, you will only need to look in the mirror to find the reason to not eat that candy! Until then, keep in mind that you have a long term goal you do not wish to sabotage with candy! Oh...and have your child/children hide the stuff you REALLY like ;)

Another thought - find your favorite candy - figure out the calorie count of it, and then exercise to burn off that amount. Then, have your candy and be prepared to stop at just one! After all, you will probably need to work hard just to have one piece, so that will help you put it all into perspective!

Make sure you eat well before trick or treating so that you aren't hungry while your child is gathering all that candy!

Good Luck!
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I want something really bad like candy or that chocolate sundae, I actually go to MFP and log it in for the day, if it fits w/in my cals/fat/carbs, then I allow myself to have some, if it doesn't, then I delete it and either find something else to have or try to forget it. Remember the journey isn't an all or nothing deal. You can have whatever you want w/in reason and portion size. Maybe have something else lowcal in the house that you can have. There is 100 calories packs at the store that include chips, cheeseits, chocolate cookies, etc. These snacks have truly helped me through times like this.

this log it in and see how many or much you can have and dont feel guilty.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Some very good ideas here. A wide range of ideas. I don't know what I will do yet. I like the will power idea...but this is life and I am going to need to eat things in moderation. But I don't need this, now. Hide and seek with the candy? hmmmm barganing.........pre-logging calories...........some very good ideas here. Thanks guys.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions above and I can't add to anything except, log what you plan to eat (2-3 pcs max) and exercise to fit that into your daily intake without going over.
    Whatever you do eat log the candy you eat, don't hide it, be open and upfront because the reality of the calories will help.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I set aside a few pieces for my self away from all the rest. then I ration the pieces over a couple of days. Works for me.