When do you journal your food?

Options
2»

Replies

• allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I do a bit the night before but then usually end up playing around with it the next day. Everything else I track as I eat.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop for the entire month on the first, minus some of the fresh produce so I have to make a menu for the entire month ahead of time. With already knowing what I'm cooking for dinner I log breakfast, lunch and dinner in the morning before I put anything (besides water) in my mouth. Dinner doesn't change because I don't eat out. If I want to change breakfast or lunch I just make sure I stay within the calories I allotted myself for that meal. Snacks are added as I want them. This is how I keep within my daily calories each day.
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I log it right before i eat it, for me if i see what calories i have left i tend to stay away from something i shouldnt eat!
  • wilson1972
    Options
    I always journal mine the night before. If I did it as I went dinner time would come and I'd find I only had 10 calories available!!! Or, that I would have to eat 700 calories... I modify my day as I go if I don't eat exactly what I had planned though.
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a hybrid. I usually don't pre-plan a day ahead but I always know what I am making for dinner so I plug that in as I have my breakfast, that way I know what I have left for Lunch and snacks. And if there is extra left over I'll plan for a little more at dinner or evening snack. Everything else I log as a go. I have pre-planned days and it makes is super easy, but then I feel like I have to check and re-check that I ate what I said I would.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I usually journal first thing in the morning. Everything. I will upadate the previous day if there are any changes. But jounaling before hand has helped me understand how many calories I have left and keeps me from overeating.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I usually am not able to fully plan my day out to a T, so I pick what I want for breakfast and lunch, log it before I eat it, then try to budget what I can eat for dinner.

I always log either before I eat, or during the meal so that I know if I go over, I'll have to stop myself. Rarely to I log after everything has been consumed.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I preplan most things at least a day before. If I am doing dinner tomorrow night I will most likely enter the leftovers for lunch the next day or day after. As a 1 person household you learn to plan so you don't waste food. I now need to empty my freezer of all the leftovers frozen in there now.
  • Tammylyn117
    Options
    I was journaling it as I ate it, or as I got a chance to sit at the computer, but the problem in that for me was I didn't have a clear plan for what I was going to eat, and sometimes ate too much for breakfast and/or lunch and left myself with too few calories for dinner, which then meant I had to add in a workout, or go over on my daily calories. Now I try to enter the day as I plan what I will eat, then go back in before I finalize and make any changes that I need to. Just started that method in the last couple of days, so let's hope it works a little better for me. Anyway, thanks for the question.
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    I try to have everything journaled by noon each day - helps me stick to the plan for the day.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I will usually log my breakfast and lunch for the following day, since I cook and pack it ahead of time for work. Dinners I log afterward and then make any adjustments- adding or replacing anything that changed during the day. I log my water through the day.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There's no way I can do it the day before or even hours before lol.... I logg it in as i put it in my mouth hehe.
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I usually journal first thing in the morning. Everything. I will upadate the previous day if there are any changes. But jounaling before hand has helped me understand how many calories I have left and keeps me from overeating.

Ditto here almost exactly. I find planning the day ahead i.e. lunch and dinner means I can see if there is any room for snacks in there. Dinner is usually planned ahead for the kids anyway so this helps.
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do my best to write it as soon as I can- mire reliable and keeps my in the diet all day..
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    During the week I pre-enter everything I put in my lunch box and adjust when I empty it at the end of the day. If I eat anything not in the bag I log it more or less immediately. Dinner I log while I'm trying to decide what to make, helps me get everything balanced but I don't sweat it too much. If I know we're going out or to a special event, I pre-log the rest of the day's stuff so I know how much room I have when we go out, or know I need to do some extra exercise. On the weekends I log at the end of the day because that's when I try to focus on healthy eating over calories, but I'm usually within my limit and macros.

I could probably log my breakfast from now til the end of the year, I'm sort of a one trick pony as far as that goes. I hate eating breakfast but if I don't I'm a hungry beast before lunch time and more likely to grab a bagel or something. I'm trying to switch it up, but there are only so many foods I find appealing first thing in the morning (other than sweet sweet coffee).
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I journal as I eat throughout the day, checking my calories & protein, the 2 things I focus on the most. I love the phone app.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Wow - I guess I didn't expect to see so many variations. I was thinking the only choices were either before, during, or after. :glasses:
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I usually make it up as I go along, unless I know that there's going to be a fancy schmancy dinner that night that I can allow for to see how much I have available to me the rest of the day...

OR if I know what's on the menu that night I'll add it in.

Tend not to plan too far in advance as I like to make my mind up on the day/at the meal that I'm going for.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I will track things the night before as I pack my lunch for the next day. That gives me a rough idea of how many calories I am leaving myself for supper time :)

"Write it before you bite it"
  • cptnjck0209
    cptnjck0209 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    always in the mornings or the night before so I can look at my plan and see where I am over/under for ALL the factors and change it as needed so the next day is simple obedience. I like to leave a little room or even pre-log exercise to motivate myself to do it =)