The dreaded Sugar debate...

Options
Now i will start off by saying that I know this has been asked a ton of times, and I did use the search function and have read what is out there, but am curious what everyone today on MFP are feeling towards the topic!

I am over my sugar almost daily. Basically from my fruit and veggies. (with the exception of my ice cream and animal cracker treats yesterday that is - if anyone looks at my diary! I know what i was so over yesterday!)

Who actually counts their fruit and veggie sugars? I have been, and have been getting results, but I am starting to get a tad more lax as the weight comes off and trying to not go over my daily sugar with refined and processed sugars....

What are the thoughs on this today in the world of MFP???

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I try to stay with what MFP says. If I have a banana, I go over. If I have yoghurt I go over. I eat most of my sugars just before a work out, so I work it off. Some people say that sugar from fruit doesnt count. It does. Sugar is sugar, no matter where it came from. Although eating fruit has many benefits that outweight the sugar content. The "5 a day" is meant to be 3-4 servings of veg, 1-2 servings of fruit. And its just because of the sugar content. :)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I personally don't worry about that number (unless of course it's coming from sweets and not fruit). However, I do try to get my fruit in, in the morning/early afternoon that way I have more time to burn off the sugars before I sleep.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I ignore it totally. Virtually all my sugar comes from fruit, veg, yogurt etc. I am losing weight steadily and am getting fitter and that is what matters to me. Equally I don't obsess about how much water I drink or the fact that I never get close to the target for iron.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have never even looked at it, because I know I'm eating healthy. If I'm over because of fruit, well, so be it. I don't really eat any processed sugar (I do love my chocolate once in a while though!), I know what it does to our bodies, so I try to stay away from it as much as possible. I do the absolute best I can, and I'm not cutting out fruit!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar at all. I only eat natural foods at the moment so all my sugar is from fruit. I can't see fruit as a bad thing, I just can't
  • jezmarie89
    Options
    watch of for ADDED SUGAR fruits and veggies are fine
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar at all.
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is also a sore subject for me. I eat a Carbmaster Yogurt and banana daily-- even that puts me over. I had read somewhere that to get true sugar, subtract the fiber grams from the sugar grams-- maybe that would be more accurate? I just know that I try to be conscience of added sugar (watch out for some yogurts). I'm always low in Vit C-- but a glass of OJ would shatter the illusion of even trying to stay 25gms and below.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. If you like sugar, eat it.
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    Thank you all for your honest answers!!!

I do like sugar, but of course in the refined sweet way!!! That being said, I have learned to enjoy an apple *almost* as much as I enjoy a brownie (almost being a stretch, but it sure does satisfy me the same in reality)

I just HATE seeing myself over everyday and having it shatter my illusion that i had a great eating day! Frustrates me sometimes..

But i know that as long as it comes from natural it is not as bad for me.

And I also agree with the poster who said sugar is sugar regardless if it is fruit or cake, but in teh same sentence i agree that fruit (in proper servings and moderation is good for you))))

Ohhhhhh what a debate !