kettlebell for cardio

Options
getting a little tired of doing treadmill for cardio and was thinking of doing a kettlebell cardio. anyone have any good plans for that? the more details the better.

and how does this affect weightlifting? i life weights 4 days a week. 2 upper/2 lower. and supposedly i'm maxed out on how many reps and sets i should be doing per week. my concern is that by adding a kettlebell cardio workout i might overtrain my muscles.

thanks in advance!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a place by my old house calkled cardiolix. They had an AWESOME kettlebell cardio class that I absolutely loved. It really helped drop all over fat QUICK and tone me up. I miss it alot.

Are you familiar with the kettlebell already? and the moves?
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how it works for the weight lifting part, but I do kettle bells for cardio a couple times a week. I love them! I do the Kettle Worx program, but Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels both have kettle bell programs out. I think I found them on Amazon.com. Definitely a workout!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    The trainer I am shadowing does some awesome kettlebell workouts. He has a half hour only KB class and then incorporates them into his bootcamps and one on ones as well. I haven't used them before but his clients are always swearing at him so I'm pretty sure that means they are getting their butts kicked :)
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do a pretty simple but butt kickin cardio workout with kettlebell swings. Its just intervals with 40s all out work with 20s pause. Guess its tabata style, I picked up a gymboss so i dont have to watch the clock.. after 10 minutes im a dripping mess :)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a "kettlebell for beginners type dvd" that I use. I don't consider the kettle bell a weight as much as added resistance. THe one I use isn't very heavy but gives that extra burn. To me weight lifiting is going for heavier weights and repititions. Not a trained professional here by any means though!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I do a pretty simple but butt kickin cardio workout with kettlebell swings. Its just intervals with 40s all out work with 20s pause. Guess its tabata style, I picked up a gymboss so i dont have to watch the clock.. after 10 minutes im a dripping mess :)

interesting. any link to what plan you go by? and never heard of a gymboss or anything like it thanks for the suggestion.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I have a "kettlebell for beginners type dvd" that I use. I don't consider the kettle bell a weight as much as added resistance. THe one I use isn't very heavy but gives that extra burn. To me weight lifiting is going for heavier weights and repititions. Not a trained professional here by any means though!!

yeah thats what i was thinking too just wanted to make sure it wouldnt interfere.
  • mistiesnshn77
    mistiesnshn77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My trainer LOVES my make me use the kettle bells!

I have found it most effective when used in circuit training. One of my favorite workouts:

20- 2 handed kettle bell swings
    25- crunches
    1 min- sprint on treadmill
    1 min- plank

4-6 rounds depending on your fitness level.

Have fun!
  • JaredBergeron
    Options
    I basically like to mix it up for the most part...keep my muscle guessing.. My "staple" is the standard front swing, focus on coming from a good squat, keep the weight on the heels, core tight, explode up not letting the kettle bell go higher than your head, repeat until the gymboss buzzes. When it buzzes again, time to bring it again... Its a good full body routine.

I will do some lateral raises with some lighter ones to hit the delts a bit as well.

If you pick up a gymboss, it will make a huge difference in your interval training... if you use headphones at the gym, go for the gymboss max (stronger vibrator and lighter beep), if you want to hear the beep, the standard gymboss will work fine.

I never really followed a particular kettlebell program, just some stuff i picked up from some group classes. :)

As for duration, start out with 4 sets (4 min) and work up...your heartrate will be way up there... 40s Work / 20s Rest
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    awesome. thanks for the info. and thanks to everyone else too.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the suggestions - sorry too lazy... but tabata rounds of KBS would definitely get the old ticker going.

20 seconds on: 10 seconds off for a total of 4 minutes

Or mix it up with more hip flexor work like burpees, or sit ups...
    so Tabata this:

KBS
    burpees
    sit ups

(12 minutes)
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    excellent. thanks for the suggestion.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The "minute of strength" videos on artofstrength.com are fantastic for learning new exercises and proper form. I'm doing one of their dvds at least once a week and working my way up to a more difficult dvd from them.
  • mistiesnshn77
    mistiesnshn77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    BURPEES=THE DEVIL!!!

So good for you though!
  • JaredBergeron
    Options
    BURPEES=THE DEVIL!!!

So good for you though!

So true...do them holding a BOSU and add a pushup at the bottom... hurts so good!