Anyone Doing low carbs

Options
I am going to be trying to consume 53grams of carbs it is going to be tough but I really want to try it for at least a week or two to see if it gives me a boost in this plateau.... Anyone doing low carb and how are they liking it

Replies

• kujo2010
    Options
    Yes and it is hard I love carbs
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It really depends on if you are counting net carbs or total carbs. Cutting out carbs entirely is going to sorely deprive you of much-needed fiber, and I don't recommend it. My carbs are only 25% of my diet, and I try to make most of them fiber carbs anyhow.
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I could never maintain a low carb diet. Carbs make me happy and nice
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I try for less than 100 carbs per day!
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    I am currently doing low carb (traditional carbs - bread, pasta, potatoes) I am still getting carbs from my veggies. It is hard because everything has "carbs" but I feel great on it and it seems to always move the scale. I try to follow the South Beach Diet - check it out, you might like it! Good Luck

You should also check out PGX - it helps regulate your blood sugars etc. It may be just the boost your looking for!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am curious how you got 53g? Did you do a percentage? I am not totally avoiding carbs, just watching how many and what kind I eat....only curious as to how you got 53? :)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am going to be trying to consume 53grams of carbs it is going to be tough but I really want to try it for at least a week or two to see if it gives me a boost in this plateau.... Anyone doing low carb and how are they liking it

Yes, 53 is a strange target to shoot for. How did you arrive at that number?
    Anyway, I stay at about 20 net carbs a day (net carbs = total carbs minus fiber). I've lost steadily since February this year. Plenty of energy, feel great.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 30 grams, and it's going well. I don't find it difficult at all. Once you learn what you can and can't have it's a breeze. I feel better, less bloating, and I don't get cravings like I used to.
  • Tinkerbella831
    Options
    Kykykenna

I am curious how you got 53g? Did you do a percentage? I am not totally avoiding carbs, just watching how many and what kind I eat....only curious as to how you got 53? :)

All i did was go into my setting a switch my carb intake that the system generated and reversed it with my protein. So before the system generated that I only have 53g of protein and 190+ g of carbs.

Martinah4- I am just going by what the site generates that is why I am asking I am confused and it is something new to me. Like how do you know what the net carb is. Would be able to point me in the right direction.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Me. The only carbs I get on a typical day is from a sweet potato and maybe an apple if I'm feeling spunky.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i do about 10%carbs. most look at net carbs (when its already figured that way) but to lazy to go through the effort of figureing it out myself.
    most of my carbs come from veggies.

and hell it seems one serving of potatos puts me up two pounds
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    edit for stupid puter
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    i do about 10%carbs. most look at net carbs (when its already figured that way) but to lazy to go through the effort of figureing it out myself.
    most of my carbs come from veggies.

and hell it seems one serving of potatos puts me up two pounds

I should stop the sweet potatoes, but I can't. They're just too tasty.
  • mj_zepeda
    mj_zepeda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am doing low carbs! :) its called PRIMAL BLUEPRINT!
    take a look:

www.marksdailyapple.com

It's been a month now.. and finally I broke the plateau! I was on my last 10 lbs to lose and this was definitely what I was needing! I am consuming carbs coming from veggies or fruit ONLY.. and some dairy products. No wheats.. no bread, pasta, rice, beans, processed foods... etc. It all makes your body bloat. I can notice when I eat a piece of cake now... I can tell the difference, how my body reacts to wheat. My belly just starts bloating as if you were blowing it with air. It's weird but interesting how our body works regarding carbs. I am loving this lifestyle and pretend on staying on it forever! I don't miss the sweet stuff anymore ( and let me tell you girl, I was a HUGE carb addict)... I can now have my cup of coffee with heavy cream and not have a piece of cake or a muffin! It makes me feel so free!!!!!! not depending on bakery products as I used to! :)

Hope you do well! wish you luck! its hard when you start.. but after 2 weeks of low carbs (specially if you take out the wheat) you will notice HUGE differences! I lost 4.7 lbs this month... and I haven't measured my body fat yet! but I am sure I did lose %body fat as well. I feel leaner, and much more energized! I used to "count calories" before.. and it worked till some point. And then I just couldn't lose any more weight. That's why I tried primal blueprint. And it worked for me! :)
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Loving low carbs! Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.

I also and doing primal blueprint as the above poster mentioned. Feel great. Losing weight.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    With the help and guidance of a very educated Endo, her advice has been helping me to shed quite a bit of weight - five weeks doing it the Endo's suggestive ways, Ive dropped 13.4 pounds doing low-carb...
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal Blueprint as well and I am loving it. I eat around 50 grams of carbs a day gross. I don't subtract out the fiber. I get my carbs from fruit and veggies.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I try for less than 100 carbs per day!

I do this too..
  • loisann221
    Options
    I guess technically I am doing "lower" carbs, but I don't think of it that way. I found it much easier to stick with if I thought about increasing my protein and veggies, than when I think about cutting out carbs. You end up having the same effect- the protein and greens fill you up, so you eat less carbs.

For me, if I think about what I can't have it leads to almost instant cravings for the forbidden food. If I think about what I can have or what I'm trying to eat more of (without tying it mentally to what I can't eat) I crave the good stuff and naturally cut out the bad. When the occasional craving hits, I find a way to give in without going overboard.

It sounds like you're going to be drastically cutting down your carbs. If you hit troubles you might want to take a more gradual approach. Drastic differences feel like a "diet" which is something you are either "on" or "off", rather than a lifestyle change which is a long term change.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

It sounds like you're going to be drastically cutting down your carbs. If you hit troubles you might want to take a more gradual approach. Drastic differences feel like a "diet" which is something you are either "on" or "off", rather than a lifestyle change which is a long term change.

Agreeing... gradually make the changes to the point of being comfortable and confident that you can work with this.. its definitely not easy to do it almost cold turkey like I had to... dont ever want those migraines again... UGH!