How did you decide what to set your goal weight as?

Options
For me it was an entire mentallity thing... I wanted to be closer to 100 pounds then 200 pounds.. so I set my first goal to 149..I also wanted to be pant size in single digits so I strived for a size 8,

After I hit that goal.. I decided that I wanted to do a bit more.. so I pretty much picked a number out of a hat. I honestly cant reecall the last time I was EVER 129 pounds or wore a size 6. but thats my goal now.

Replies

• khadlock
    Options
    I really like your goals and your rewards! those help a lot i might have to take those types of rewards for myself! i think those sound like good goals for you good luck
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Well, my husband is 158 and I am currently 164, so I wanted to weight less than him ;) 155 lbs is my recommended ideal weight, but I figured what the heck, I wanna be a little skinnier than that, so it became 150 lbs :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My goal is 140 because that's what I was before and I looked and felt good at that weight. I'm not 100% sure of the number but I know it was somewhere between 140-145.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i started out as 248, and wanted to be around 205...when i got close to 205, i thought this is soo easy, and since im addicted to running/lifting...why not hit 185!

once i broke the 200lb mark, i vowed to never hit it again!

197 atm, and going down....ready to hit my goal and maintain with lots o exercise/eating right!
  • h0taru
    h0taru Posts: 43
    Options
    My goal is 140 because that's what I was before and I looked and felt good at that weight. I'm not 100% sure of the number but I know it was somewhere between 140-145.

Same thing
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    160 got me out of the "overweight" category for the BMI scale. When I started approaching that, I started researching what my "ideal" weight should be and it came out to between 140 and 155 depending on my build, so I chose 150 as my new target.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post...it has really got me thinking...
    When I was a young adult I was always between 8 and 8 1/2 stone, that's 112lb to 119lb or 50.8kg to 53.9kg.
    When I was 25 and became pregnant with my first baby I was 49kg (extra busy with working and building a house etc etc I suppose as well as normal sport)
    I'm hovering around 55kg now but what the heck...I'm going for 52kg!!
    Thanks for inspiring me.
    :flowerforyou:
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I originally picked 115 since it is in the "healthy BMI" range for my height. After getting there, I decided to change it to 105 and will reevaluate when I get there, but I think that may be it for me.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    For me it was just my lowest adult weight. I know I can maintain it and it keeps me in a healthy BMI range.
  • ziggy_mommy
    Options
    I really want to hit the "healthy BMI" for my height... unfortunately I'm only 5'2" so that's a LONG way to go. So I set a goal of 150, which is a nice round number and is 123 lbs less than where I started (140 under my heighest weight - oh dear lord!). Once I manage 150, we'll see about pushing down to that final "healthy weight" (which is only around 120 according to the BMI scales).
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    i thought 51kg seemed good...but it really wasn't that difficult, so i thought why not get to my wedding weight of 49kg....and i did!
  • nomorewishing
    nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Mine is purely selfish I guess. I've always been the "fat friend", so I decided I want to weigh less than my friends do. Eventually I want to be around 140, we'll see how that goes!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 1/2 and the lowest I have ever weighed was 129 pounds and my boyfriend said my cheekbones stuck out so much it took away from my looks..my curves all disappeared. So I decided since I am more athletic and naturally have a heavier muscle mass (not the tone but just the mass -it takes work for tone) then I went with 135. I reached it and I feel and look better then I ever have before. Was only 5 pounds fat I lost but I toned up so much and hope to keep going that way.
    Good luck everybody :flowerforyou: I :heart: MFP and all it's lovely members :drinker:
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    My doctor set my goal weight based on my age, health history, etc.
  • Lady_Lucky
    Options
    I choose mine because it's around the middle of a normal weight for my height . I might push it back a little further when I get there, but I'll have to see how I go first! I've never really tried dieting before.
    I love the look of your goal/rewards! I might have to try that myself :)
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I wonder about this myself. I have my goal set at 135, but that's just because it was in the mid-range BMI for my height. I know I am on the curvy side and I certainly would like to stay that way, I figure once I'm at 140 I'll see if I want to lose more or just start focusing on toning.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    so very cool to read everyones stories.. and so many different responses! :)
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The magic number i've always wanted to be was 180, then i checked my BMI chart and saw that the healthy range for my height top out at 174, so i decided on 170.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure really, I think It was just a number I wanted to be, in my 120s
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I just readjusted as I went. I started aiming for 130, as it was in the middle of my healthy BMI. Now I am aiming to hit 125, but have stalled a bit, partly intentionally as my back feels bony and it hurts to lie on hard things, and partly because I have started uni and simply don't have the time to exercise I did last year.