What are the best choices when eating Sushi Rolls?

I am going to a really nice sushi restaurant with my best friend tomorrow night, and I want to make good choices. When i searched the sushi available in the food database, the calories were all over the place... my question is- what sushi rolls would YOU eat to stay around a 500-600 calorie meal? Obviosly I won't be eating any thing tempura or with mayo sauces or cream cheese. I will probably order two rolls. I will also probably eat some edamame and drink water or tea. Thanks!

http://www.naansushi.com/Rolls2.html

Replies

• Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    I usually get an asparagus hand roll, or another strictly veggie roll, and a california roll. Surprisingly, you can have a California roll and still stay within your calories. Just be careful not to overdo it on the soy sauce -- the sodium is killer!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

Check this out it's great and has tabs for other sushi related choices as well
  • 2 rolls, you're probably not going to go much over 500-600 calories unless you get tempura fired rolls. Anything with cream cheese may do it too.

Personally I'd go with sashimi but if that's not your thing just use common sense when ordering. I'm a big fan of unagi (eel) and yellowfin tuna.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Obviosly I won't be eating any thing tempura or with mayo sauces or cream cheese.

drooling here...those kinds are my favorite, have not had it in forever now :love:
  • jlayney
    jlayney Posts: 22
    haha czech, mine too! which is why i need to lose weight! LOL
  • jlayney
    Just be careful not to overdo it on the soy sauce -- the sodium is killer!

I ALWAYS use the sodium free soy sauce! :)
  • jlayney
    Thanks Emmy! This is a GREAT website!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    California Roll worked good for me. I used low sodium soy sauce.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    There's alot of salt and sugar in the vinegar they use on the rice before they shape it into a roll. A recipe I saw for the "seasoned vinegar" used for 1 roll was 1 TBSP vinegar 1 TBSP sugar and 1 tsp salt. Wow that's alot of sugar and salt! It's like a sugar-salt syrup! How do you even get a tablespoon of sugar to dissolve into a tablespoon of vinegar?

It's the hidden bits that surprise you!

I want to start making my own california rolls at home so I can modify it to fit my needs. And the fake crab they use in the California Rolls most places is not as good as using real crab of course.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Go for a hand roll! Less rice means you can eat more fish/seaweed, which is the best part in my opinion! Or I just stick with sashimi rather than rolls.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Yeah, sashimi is the way to go. They have good sashimi salads at some places. If you are set on a roll, get a cucumber wrapped roll. It has no rice, just fish wrapped in cucumber..soo good! I'd also opt for a spicy tuna roll, I don't thiink they put mayo, just spiicy sauce.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Yeah, sashimi is the way to go. They have good sashimi salads at some places. If you are set on a roll, get a cucumber wrapped roll. It has no rice, just fish wrapped in cucumber..soo good! I'd also opt for a spicy tuna roll, I don't thiink they put mayo, just spiicy sauce.

Spicy sauce IS spicy mayo.

Also, sashimi is the best, only about 40 cal/oz. White rice + sugar seasoning is not my thing.