Hallux Rigidus, please help!

Options
Hi,

I don't know where is appropriate to post this, and it really isn't directly related to weight loss (mine is hereditary/genetic), but I have been having excruciating pain in my big toes and finally saw a doctor. I have beginning of stage 3 in one foot and stage 2 in the other, and have developed bone spurs. He recommended surgery, which will possibly put me out of commission from anywhere from 2 months to a year (and of course there is the chance the surgery won't be a success at all). I only have 20% motion in my right toe joint, so it is extremely painful to wear heels, stand on my tiptoes, run (at times), hike, even certain yoga positions. The other option is just temporarily wearing special orthodics and footwear......anyway, this is all very bad news. I am only 34, we are getting married next summer (so I want to be healthy for that, and also have started working out again and certainly want to keep it up!), and want to start having children as soon as possible after that. There is really no "good" time to not walk for an indefinite amount of time. He said it wouldn't be that bad to wait until after the wedding for surgery, but still........I'm terrified. Has anyone been through this, or known anyone that has had this experience? I want to be able to walk/run/jump etc for the rest of my life, so in some ways the surgery is worth it, but there is also a chance they could find more is wrong with me when they get in there and will have to fuse my joints together anyway. Please help!!!!!

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What are your alternatives to walking? Bike? Swimming? Acqua fitness? Exercises you do while sitting? There has to be something that you can do regularly that will not put pressure on your toes.
  • repip
    repip Posts: 7
    Options
    I had bone spurs as well, but opted for orthodics and stretching. Although it was painful at first, I found that most of the pain was from the knotted muscles - my podiatrist explained to me that the spurs were growing because my arches were falling with weight and age, and my bones were trying to accomodate the length of my muscles, which were becoming cramped and crowded with the changing shape of my feet. About 4-6 months of stretching and good shoes solved the pain. If you have an option other than surgery and the limited movement it would cause, I would seriously consider it. Before getting major foot surgery, definitely seek a second opinion!

Just my two cents.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    He said that I could try the orthodics (didn't mention the stretches), but that it is a progressive, degenerative disease. It is apparently something I was born with but just developed over time. So, yes, it is an alternative, but it won't fix or cure the problem, it just might delay the progression. However, there are different levels of surgery, and the earlier you catch it the better type of surgery options for recovery.

Regarding other exercises, it isn't even just the walking and running as exercise, I am talking about walking the dog, walking in general. I can put the orthodics in my shoes (which are also expensive, but not as much as surgery!), but I would think it would be hard to bend your toes with stiff soled orthodics or shoes.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone out there has had the surgery for this???