Clean Eating question

Options
To those who started eating clean (no processed foods, etc), how long did it take for you to make the transition? I've seen tons of great results, and I'm thinking that it would be the best way to go to benefit my body and lifestyle. My goal is to lose around 70-80 pounds by next September, as I'm in two weddings (within a week of each other, in two separate parts of the country, but that's another story). I'm interested in anyone's journey who has transitioned to clean eating. Was it easy? Difficult? Expensive?

Replies

• rrrbecca11
    Options
    It has taken me 10 years to get completely free and clean. But that was because the understanding dawned slowly. I think if I had it to do over, I could do it in a matter of months. Never felt better in my life. Slim and trim, full of energy and stamina, never sick, sleep like a baby. Good luck!
  • nani726
    nani726 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i did a reboot consisting of juices and plant foods, the switch was relatively fast, my reboot was to be done in 15 days and by day 5 i was totally hooked!
    The first few days were tough because i was withdrawing from caffeine and processed carbs but after day 4, it was easy breezy!
    I now lead a vegan diet, mostly raw and with very little to no processed foods whatsoever and let me tell you, it was the best decision i have ever made!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I did a 4 week natural cleanse in April/May. Afterwards, I cut out a majority of processed foods. Its been 5 months and I still eat primarily natural foods. I doubt I ever cut out all processed foods, but I keep it limited. Hasn't been a big problem.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of making the transition, and I don't find it to be any more expensive than the way I was eating before (though a gluten-free diet is generally more expensive than most diets, so your results may not be the same as mine. The main thing that has made this transition easier is the fact that we have begun eating a LOT of crock-pot meals. I downloaded tons of healthy recipes from SkinnyCrockPot.com, and my boyfriend and I are enjoying getting up in the morning to chop vegetables together and fill the crock-pot with tasty things like Irish lamb stew, Balsamic Chicken, Pumpkin Black Bean Chili, and Pheasant Stew (that one was our own recipe). It's nice because now I don't have to cook after getting home from my workout, we have delicious healthy leftovers to take to work for lunches, and we are actually enjoying the preparation time by doing it together.

Good luck with your journey; I'm also looking forward to looking great for a wedding next year: my own!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I really hate the concept of clean eating. I eat a balanced diet, including lots of vegetables, legumes, lean meats, etc. I also eat pizza, fried chicken and donuts sometimes. In moderation, they don't affect my weight loss or overall sense of well-being. I don't think we need more rules. We just need to expand our horizons.

And what is a processed food, anyway? Anything cooked is processed. Milled flour is processed. Any vegetable you eat has been bred to have certain nutritional and agricultural characteristics.
  • linder3186
    linder3186 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    martinbeks - good luck on your journey, I believe it is well worth the price in all ways!

rrrbecca11 - always nice to hear of someone "making it"! I've been attempting to "transition" for years as well and one of these fine years it will happen, because I well remember how I felt about 2 weeks after I went at it whole heartedly! Takes about that long to get most of those old toxins moving out ....

Thanks to both of you for posting, I'm hoping this will give me the incentive to start anew ......
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It has taken me about a year- I still, every now and again, have a slip-up but then my body quickly reminds me why clean eating is the way to go! ;-)

It is actually more affordable than you think as you will surely save money by making meals at home and less dining out- also no sodas or trips to Starbucks to get 'hot milkshakes' can also save you a bundle!! I can make food for a week off what my husband and I would spend on just having a dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants! Always go for fresh, whole foods rather than packaged "health foods" in trendy health food stores and the savings will be really clear.