Heart Rate Monitor/Chest Strap Q's

Options
I'm looking into getting my husband and I watch style heart rate monitors.

I was wondering if you always have to wear a chest strap w/ these styles?

Some come w/ and some come w/o

thanks

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The one with chest strap with be more accurate as it is going off your actual heart rate. That is what I was told when shopping for one and it makes sense.

The ones without (I believe) are making an estimate based on information you plug into it. Again, just what I got from my shopping experience.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The one with chest strap with be more accurate as it is going off your actual heart rate. That is what I was told when shopping for one and it makes sense.

this...just get the ones with the chest strap. you dont even notice it. its much more accurate.
  • megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree. Get ones with chest straps. Very accurate and the chest strap isn't uncomfortable or anything.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you're going to spend money, you might as well spend it on something that's accurate. Get it with the chest strap, because otherwise it's not a heart rate monitor. It would be the same as using the treadmill as an "accurate" measure for calories burned.
  • tdupree71
    Options
    I use a Polar ... with a chest strap .....When I run on the treadmill it is not even close to what the treadmill says .. and I know it is more accurate because it actually feels my heartbeat!
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had this same dilema a little while ago, and I got one with chest strap. It's true that you don't even feel it. And no one can see it. Since those kinds are more accurate, go with the chest strap.
  • nan860
    nan860 Posts: 15
    Options
    I would get a model with a chest strap. A lot of treadmills and ellipticals will pick up the signal from a chest strap as well so you will get an accurate reading on the display of your calories burned. I have a Polar watch and strap and I've been happy with it so far.
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Yep, go chest strap, if he is a runner you may want to consider one of the GPS/heart rate combos like the forerunner
  • jessfresh
    Options
    can anyone recommend a decent, cheap HRM with chest strap please?
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options

When you say cheap, I don't know what your price range is . . but the New Balance N4 (available at Target, where I got mine) is great. Comes with a chest strap. It's $69.99 regular price but occasionally goes on sale for $59.99 . . or you could google it and see if you can find a better deal online! :smile:
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I would stick with the polar brand, you can find them in the 70$ range on amazon... They are compatible with most the gym cardio machines as well so you dont have to wear the watch. There are certain models that are waterproof too if your into the lap swimming.
  • AmyInSC
    AmyInSC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had my Polar (with chest strap) for three years. I cannot imagine exercising without it. It wasn't cheap, though. I think I paid about $150 for it, but it's been worth every penny.
  • jessfresh
    Options
    cool thanks guys will have a look :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The most popular on here it seems is the Polar FT4. Chest strap, nice looking watch, mid price range, nice and accurate...perfect all round really! :)